Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 03:06 PM

106,683 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

I know people who own homes that are so dated ..you have many owners and renters who just don’t care about dated as long as it is functional.

They may have different priorities in what they care about

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-22-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 03:17 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
and they'll still get a heck of a lot of money for them if sold in this condition................

Old 10-22-2022, 03:57 PM

Irrelevant.

The comments made were about living in a dated living accomodation..

There are likely more homeowners doing it

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-22-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 10-22-2022, 05:45 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Irrelevant.

The comments made were about living in a dated living accomodation..

Don't agree but.........no sweat.................to each his own....... experiences.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:47 AM

You can disagree but the fact is not everyone cares about having a dated but functional living environment and that pertains to all renters and owners , not just those who may be in an un renovated stabilized apartment .

I would say our kitchen in our apartment is dated , but so what , it works fine and all appliances were replaced over they years by us .

We had a second home which was just two years old when we bought it which was really nice , but at the end of the day , MEH…

I mean a hobble that looks like Ralph kramdens kitchen is one thing , but older cabinets that work fine , so what.

When they renovate in our building the kitchens get new contractor grade low end cabinets and new sink and appliances .

The bathroom is really just a new vanity and sink

So no big deal for most older tenants here who are using outdated but functional kitchens

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-23-2022 at 05:56 AM..

Old 10-23-2022, 06:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
You can disagree but the fact is not everyone cares about having a dated but functional living environment and that pertains to all renters and owners , not just those who may be in an un renovated stabilized apartment .

I would say our kitchen in our apartment is dated , but so what , it works fine and all appliances were replaced over they years by us .

We had a second home which was just two years old when we bought it which was really nice , but at the end of the day , MEH…

I mean a hobble that looks like Ralph kramdens kitchen is one thing , but older cabinets that work fine , so what.

When they renovate in our building the kitchens get new contractor grade low end cabinets and new sink and appliances .

The bathroom is really just a new vanity and sink

So no big deal for most older tenants here who are using outdated but functional kitchens
It's not that most don't care. It's that when it comes to RS renters, they're willing to trade off the low rent for the conditions. They realize it's a trade-off.

For owners, it's so expensive and difficult to renovate in NYC that many
forego renovations and are just willing to sell their house for 5% less (if forced) when the time comes.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:43 AM

Either way way they are living in outdated living quarters as was mentioned here over and over and it isn’t an issue for them.

Many owners both renters and owners just don’t care and have other priorities or things they are concerned about.

We couldn’t care less about the fact they didn’t change our cabinets, sinks or vanity.

If they let us pay on our own to do some renovations I would do it just for the change and something different but they can’t allow that they said

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-23-2022 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-23-2022, 06:50 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
Either way way they are living in outdated living quarters as was mentioned here over and over and it isn’t an issue for them.

Many owners both renters and owners just don’t care and have other priorities or things they are concerned about.

We couldn’t care less about the fact they didn’t change our cabinets, sinks or vanity
Once again, I wouldn't characterize is as "not caring". It's like claiming that someone with terminal cancer doesn't care about dying. Most of them don't want to die even though many may be resigned to it.

People care. They just care more about the low(er) rent or saving the exorbitant amounts of money and health that are needed for renovations in NYC.

It's just another sign of a dysfunctional market in NYC.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:06 AM

Many who buy older homes tend to rip out kitchens and bathrooms simply because the previous owners are living in older conditions .

So whether one renovates or not is not related to the fact we have a rent stabilized market place , it is simply based on what the owners want to do and what their long term plan is .

There are loads of rentals that are not stabilized yet go un renovated….so older stuff appears in all walks of housing .

The first rental that my ex wife and I owned that I gave her After we got divorced because I was doing well and I wanted her to do better , was last renovated in 2005 by us .

No reason to spend anymore then one needs to and it is not stabilized at all.

You cant compare dying or not to having new cabinets and vanity ..that is a pretty ridiculous analogy

Old 10-23-2022, 11:00 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,467 times
Quote:
…

Unless I need to learn a new vocabulary word, I think you meant "Hovel"

It is very nice to see you posting. I have found your posts interesting/useful through the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City