Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 05:45 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,427,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
Yeah because ending rent regulations in Boston worked out SO well for making everything market rate. Prices skyrocketed. People priced out of their homes.
Rent in Boston was sky rocket after that. I personally couldn’t see that happening in NYC. RGB raised rent (I forgot how much of a percentage) and many rent stabilized tenants are struggling with paying that amount. Imagine if rent stabilizing just went away in one day. We would be seeing a lot more tents out…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:57 PM

107,040 posts, read 109,362,256 times
When stabilization ended in boston construction and renovation permits soared as buildings were redone .

New cost money and rents went up across the board

So that is an example of what happens when you try to put the lid back on a can of of tuna fish .

It isn’t easy to undo stabilization

Old 10-25-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
So people who are responsible in not having children are parasitic? And yes, I do make pretty good cash. It's surprising that the city allows folks like myself affordable housing, right? The limit is actually 250K although I've never seen any lotteries go that high. You make far less than the lottery people over at Hunters Point South, right?

https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...S%20011122.pdf
Crickets on the response for this one, maybe the judgement on those looking for affordable housing can stop then? Probably won’t but worth putting out there

Old 10-25-2022, 09:45 AM

6,698 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Crickets on the response for this one, maybe the judgement on those looking for affordable housing can stop then? Probably won’t but worth putting out there
Like beauty, affordable is to the eye of the beholder. They think everyone who seeks affordable housing is riff raff when the riff raff makes more and is better educated than the ones pointing the finger. omg, I just cracked myself up!

Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Rent in Boston was sky rocket after that. I personally couldn’t see that happening in NYC. RGB raised rent (I forgot how much of a percentage) and many rent stabilized tenants are struggling with paying that amount. Imagine if rent stabilizing just went away in one day. We would be seeing a lot more tents out…

No one can predict the future, but what if the SCOTUS finds all NYC/NYS rent regulation laws unconstitutional?

Old 10-25-2022, 10:02 AM

6,698 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
No one can predict the future, but what if the SCOTUS finds all NYC/NYS rent regulation laws unconstitutional?
why would they do that? Rent - like abortion is found nowhere in the constitution so it isn't up to SCOTUS to decide on that topic. That's left up to the States.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
In the middle of a housing crisis where people cant even afford their rent stabilized units? Courts are backed up and there arent enough attorneys to represent tenants? Ya idk about them finding it unconstitutional but hit me up when they do. Should be interesting

Old 10-25-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Like beauty, affordable is to the eye of the beholder. They think everyone who seeks affordable housing is riff raff when the riff raff makes more and is better educated than the ones pointing the finger. omg, I just cracked myself up!
Lmaooo

Old 10-25-2022, 11:27 AM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times
We are living in turbulent times.
Ever since the dollar stopped being backed by gold the government printed money without discipline.

Inflation.....as a result of printing more money to keep all the players in this Ponzi game happy.
More and more printing............higher prices everywhere and on everything.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I said it once I'll say it again

My opinion............................Buy a home. At least the roof over your head is yours.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
We are living in turbulent times.
Ever since the dollar stopped being backed by gold the government printed money without discipline.

Inflation.....as a result of printing more money to keep all the players in this Ponzi game happy.
More and more printing............higher prices everywhere and on everything.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I said it once I'll say it again

My opinion............................Buy a home. At least the roof over your head is yours.
with these rates???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City