Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 07:42 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A healthy market place ?

Just what would that mean when all rents are higher and many Tenants who can afford where they live now can’t nor are capable or can afford to leave their jobs and move out of the city

What would that do to employment ? We can’t get employees now to fill the jobs …

The increases in rent will suck more money in to rent and less into other businesses .

It will act like a giant tax .

Nyc is the unskilled labor Mecca ..

It offers subsidized housing , lots of lower end jobs , a cheap expansive public transportation system , ethnic neighborhoods where one can live with their own .

So we tend to have lots of lower earners and jobs

Just poor logic here in your thinking.

In fact it is silly to even play the what if game as stabilization is not going anywhere here for all the obvious reasons including voters.

It will likely do nothing for those not stabilized as their rents are not going down and hurt those who are so it is a no win for politicians
" it is silly to even play the what if game "

That poster plays the what-if game here.

Call us when rent stabilization/tax breaks for developers are gone. It's not even something that is being discussed right now .

They are actually trying to come up with a new 421-a tax break: https://www.6sqft.com/hochul-outline...break-program/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 10:04 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
A healthy market place ?

Just what would that mean when all rents are higher and many Tenants who can afford where they live now can’t nor are capable or can afford to leave their jobs and move out of the city

What would that do to employment ? We can’t get employees now to fill the jobs …

The increases in rent will suck more money in to rent and less into other businesses .

It will act like a giant tax .

Nyc is the unskilled labor Mecca ..

It offers subsidized housing , lots of lower end jobs , a cheap expansive public transportation system , ethnic neighborhoods where one can live with their own .

So we tend to have lots of lower earners and jobs

Just poor logic here in your thinking.

In fact it is silly to even play the what if game as stabilization is not going anywhere here for all the obvious reasons including voters.

It will likely do nothing for those not stabilized as their rents are not going down and hurt those who are so it is a no win for politicians
You still haven’t answered the question. If NYC can’t function without a heavily regulated housing market, then why does capitalism even work in the US? Let’s make laws to cap the cost of all goods in the US.

Don’t you think that the reason we have so many low paying jobs and “ poor” in NYC is because the cost of living is so heavily subsidized?

You’re not applying the correct thought process here at all (for whatever reason). The low wage jobs are precisely a manifestation of the subsidized cost of living. Instead of employers bearing the costs of that in wages (and building a business model Around that), the taxpayers do. Things aren’t “cheaper”. It just gets paid by different parties.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:13 AM

106,720 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Like I said It is like trying to put the lid back on the tuna can

You can’t undo what was created without destroying lives

And no one’s rent is coming down after doing so. At this point there is nothing healthy coming out of it

It is like telling the guy who built the Brooklyn bridge , it is nice but can you move it two inches left

For millions in stabilized housing this is the housing base put in place

My slogan I have followed for my life is stop whining about the hand

Learn to play what you're dealt

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-03-2022 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:

And no one’s rent is coming down after doing so. At this point there is nothing healthy coming out of it

It is like telling the guy who built the Brooklyn bridge , it is nice but can you move it two inches left

"You can’t undo what was created without destroying lives"

Exactly! People are having a hard time affording the rent increase the RGB implemented this year on rent stabilized buildings. Anyone who thinks the city is even considering getting rid of rent stabilization is honestly delusional.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:27 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post

Exactly! People are having a hard time affording the rent increase the RGB implemented this year on rent stabilized buildings. Anyone who thinks the city is even considering getting rid of rent stabilization is honestly delusional.
A lot of people don't know that bread is a poison. It is what creates metabolic illness, diabetes and heart disease - not meat. But.. if white bread were to be banned, so many people would literally starve to death. It's another one of those things where bad implementation of policy (through the direct subsidization of big agricultural farms by the United States government) has caused a bigger problem than the one it tried to solve.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post

well let me say this , no one is guaranteed in life their own apartment .

many have to golden girl it ....

but most of the working class do have a limited amount of dollars to work with and they budget accordingly .

it can be very life disrupting when you do something that requires major hits to cash flow .

imagine the chaos if social security really did cut pay checks by 25% , or did away with all spousal benefits ,

or no more aca subsidies , or no more tax breaks for your kids or home owner write offs .

you cant just throw peoples cash flow they live on under the bus and not expect major consequences .

Old 11-03-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
well let me say this , no one is guaranteed in life their own apartment .

many have to golden girl it ....

but most of the working class do have a limited amount of dollars to work with and they budget accordingly .

it can be very life disrupting when you do something that requires major hits to cash flow .

imagine the chaos if social security really did cut pay checks by 25% , or did away with all spousal benefits ,

or no more aca subsidies , or no more tax breaks for your kids or home owner write offs .

you cant just throw peoples cash flow they live on under the bus and not expect major consequences .
I agree.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:14 PM

think of the wind fall many owners would make if they did away with stabilization .

all these apartments and buildings bought for cents on the dollar would now shoot up to market value .

actually with mostly all rents going up they would be the only ones to benefit.

those who want to see it killed off would likly benefit finding something else more productive to whine about that really would benefit all

Old 11-03-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
A lot of people don't know that bread is a poison. It is what creates metabolic illness, diabetes and heart disease - not meat. But.. if white bread were to be banned, so many people would literally starve to death. It's another one of those things where bad implementation of policy (through the direct subsidization of big agricultural farms by the United States government) has caused a bigger problem than the one it tried to solve.
I agree as well

Old 11-03-2022, 02:53 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:

No one is whining. What gets me is people not being honest about the situation. Yes, the reality is there’s RS and dismantling the system would cause a lot of chaos and pain (in the near term). That doesn’t mean the system is working. Claiming nothing healthy will come from correcting a throughly perverted market is flat out dishonest. The longer the distortions continue, the grater the pain that needs to be paid once it’s time to pay the piper. I guarantee you that this system can’t hold on forever. It will collapse from its own perversions anyhow.

Moving the BK bridge to the left for what purpose? What needs to be corrected?

The South also claimed that getting rid of slavery would ruin their society. The entire economy was built on slavery in the South. Some people benefited from it greatly. Many did not. In the end, the system needed to go and it was corrected (at great short term cost).

How about all the lives ruined by the city’s perverted housing market? Someone making $4 is eligible for affordable housing but someone making $4.05 is not? Someone who happened to move in in 1980 gets to live practically for free but others do not? And on and on.

You can claim that the RS market” is what it is “ and I would respect that. Instead you come up with all sorts of asinine excuses as to why ‘it’s actually far superior to a normal market and without it the NYC housing market would be even worse’. That’s dishonest and not true for the simple fact that this entire country is built on (quite successful) exactly the reverse.

I don’t have skin in the game here either way. I never looked for affordable housing. My goal was never to play the RS system because otherwise I could t live in NYC. I didn’t buy a $1.5MM condo in Brownstone BK and a home out on LI because I didn’t snag an affordable housing unit.

I don’t care either way except for the fact that some, like you, tell me that black is white and up is down.

Last edited by Esacni; 11-03-2022 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City