Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 11:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
If they cant afford to reno a unit when someone moves out that means they cannot afford to have the business.

Not all businesses work out. A lot go under. Might be worth it to walk away from it completely then. Have someone who can afford the reno do it and move someone in. Don't have 60k units just sitting there

I doubt that all 60k units need 50k worth of reno...
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I don't know why warehousing apartments is legal.
Welcome to the welfare state ladies and gentleman. Where the numerically illiterate blend with the authoritarian to explain why capitalism is bad because capital choosing not to work to support freeloaders is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
First off from what I read in the article there is no mention of covid having negative impact. "Numbers compiled by the staff of the city Rent Guidelines Board suggest that by and large, they’re doing just fine, or better. "

"The typical owner of rent-stabilized property would have made over $6 million of post-expense income in 2020 alone"

They said they want to make renovations but cant afford to meanwhile they are also "deliberately pushing out rent-stabilized tenants and keeping those apartments vacant." - why??

"One tenant recalls what appeared to be “construction as harassment” on his floor, filling hallways with dust and potential toxins from within the walls, and pushing several rent-stabilized families to move out. " -why???

Has greed written all over it. Let them go to court. I'd love to see how it plays out for them. Maybe the federal government can step in and start freezing rents again. They are already hiking up the mortgage rates

https://www.thecity.nyc/housing/2022...dlords-housing
Have you ever met a businessman who doesn't like money? You think these Landlords are forgoing profit because they hate money?

Another poster laid it out for you, mathematically, why renovating certain apartments isn't profitable currently. What's so difficult to understand?

These business people are greedy but all of the people taking advantage of rent regulation aren't greedy? Welcome to NYCs welfare state.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:22 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
If they cant afford to reno a unit when someone moves out that means they cannot afford to have the business.

Not all businesses work out. A lot go under. Might be worth it to walk away from it completely then. Have someone who can afford the reno do it and move someone in. Don't have 60k units just sitting there

I doubt that all 60k units need 50k worth of reno...
If the math doesn't work out how does a new owner matter? This is how the Bronx burned, the buildings simply weren't worth the cost to maintain them.

Don't get me wrong, the poor need a place to live, but this is the wrong way to go about it. Things were working better when it was the 80/20 program. 80% market rate 20% low income.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:37 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
These landlords are scammers and should go down like these dudes just did : https://sports.yahoo.com/nyc-develop...225800725.html

Old 10-19-2022, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
If the math doesn't work out how does a new owner matter? This is how the Bronx burned, the buildings simply weren't worth the cost to maintain them.

Don't get me wrong, the poor need a place to live, but this is the wrong way to go about it. Things were working better when it was the 80/20 program. 80% market rate 20% low income.
The 421a was actually not working better. Landlords/developers figured out a way to play the system shown in that article I just posted ^ I’m sure there are more that haven’t been caught yet. Also these developers almost always pick the 130AMI which is only a couple hundred dollars cheaper than what they list the market rates for. So if you think it was working better for developers/landlords yes. But it was not doing what it was created for. Very little oversight creating an easy way to commit fraud and scam with tax payer dollars

Old 10-19-2022, 06:14 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
These landlords are scammers and should go down like these dudes just did : https://sports.yahoo.com/nyc-develop...225800725.html
One of them is out on zero bail laughing to the bank with 10 felonies pending . Welcome to Manhattan.

Another one no bail with multiple felonies “not an arraignable charge “

To lazy to look up the rest on public information. Assuming it’s all the same.

Also it shows the incident days as July 2017. Statue of limitation is 5 years I believe for the charges. They will have no issues here I assume.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
One of them is out on zero bail laughing to the bank with 10 felonies pending . Welcome to Manhattan.

Another one no bail with multiple felonies “not an arraignable charge “

To lazy to look up the rest on public information. Assuming it’s all the same.

Also it shows the incident days as July 2017. Statue of limitation is 5 years I believe for the charges. They will have no issues here I assume.
Nice to hear that you support criminals. Not shocked

Old 10-19-2022, 06:43 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Nice to hear that you support criminals. Not shocked
I don’t support anyone. Look at the da and his memos on downgrading felony thefts involving guns.

I posted facts and you say I support criminals ? No one should steal from anyone. But with the Manhattan da it doesn’t fit any jail time guidelines. Why does this change ?

Nytimes article

“The crimes he instructed prosecutors to avoid seeking jail time for include certain robberies and assaults, as well as gun possession in cases where no other crimes are involved. He also directed that they no longer request prison sentences of more than 20 years absent “exceptional circumstances.”

Mr. Bragg’s goal is to find alternatives to incarceration, especially for first-time offenders, an aim he seeks to balance with the need to keep the public safe. In the way they take into account the experiences of those who are charged, his policies resemble those of several prosecutors in big cities around the country who have been elected over the past five years.”

Based on his polices stated in his own memos any lawyer will say he’s targeting them if he requests jail time. Especially a first time offense in his words.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/19/randal...migrant-tents/

Adams can violate right to shelter but no one cares. But look at the shelters.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 10-19-2022 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 06:51 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,005,669 times
It will be a great day if rent regulation is deemed unconstitutional.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Of course there aren't scammers in NYCHA and the affordable housing lotteries.

The story you posted is further proof of how all of the regulation distorts the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City