Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 07:28 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,427,661 times

Advertisements

Didn’t know people who make 40-130k annually are considered welfare class. 6 figures is welfare class? Lmao good luck telling that to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
By the way, a lack of affordable housing is basically a demand and supply issue. I don't believe landlords are as greedy or as vicious as they're portrayed. I know because my uncle is a landlord in Upstate NY who owns multiple properties there. (My cousin is a landlord in Florida). At times, they literally have to dig into their own savings to make renovations on whatever it is that the tenants did not properly take care of. I've seen the nightmares from a landlord's end. And here in NYC it's extremely hard to get rid of a tenant.
“ And here in NYC it's extremely hard to get rid of a tenant.”

People have said this so many times but I know someone who lived in a building with a horrible tenant who also wasn’t paying rent on section 8 and was kicked out with a year of filing. Maybe after covid but before it wasn’t extremely hard it just costs money. It’s not impossible. Many many people have indeed been evicted. During and post covid is another story

Old 10-21-2022, 12:47 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,308,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
If they dont like it they can leave NYC go be landlords in Alabama or some place else. Just like the people who cant afford rent here right? Everyone who doesnt like it can leave. As per what most of you say when people complain about the 5k rent for a 1 bedroom. Just pack up and leave because its that easy, right??

Why do you and your likes feel entitled to other people's property? Serious question. If you (or others) can't afford it go live in Alabama.

Why do you think ANYONE should work hard purchase property then be forced to give it to ANYONE else, especially strangers at a discounted rated?

Where do you live? I think you earn too much money. I am sure there are things in your apartment that I can find use for. Since you feel so entitled to other people's property.

Are you posting from an I-phone or MacBook? I think someone should take it from you. Why should you have luxuries when there are more deserving people?

Old 10-21-2022, 04:26 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times
Quote:
lol at Escani referring to people seeking affordable housing as the "welfare class" when he's the first one to advocate for Zelensky to get a blank check in the MEGA $$$ trillions from US taxpayers. It's like John Wayne Gacy pointing the finger at Jeffrey Dahmer and saying, "Well yeah, I killed, raped, tortured and buried those guys in my basement, but at least I didn't eat them! Lord have mercy why I would NEVER do that!"
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound brining in foreign policy when we're discussing NYC housing? Clearly it's a defensive trigger because you realize how ****ed up it is. I understand that people like you use anything and everything to justify your subsidization by the taxpayers or NYC. Using your logic any welfare program can be justified because the government spends money "elsewhere". It's the classic retort of the welfare class.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Why do you and your likes feel entitled to other people's property? Serious question. If you (or others) can't afford it go live in Alabama.

Why do you think ANYONE should work hard purchase property then be forced to give it to ANYONE else, especially strangers at a discounted rated?

Where do you live? I think you earn too much money. I am sure there are things in your apartment that I can find use for. Since you feel so entitled to other people's property.

Are you posting from an I-phone or MacBook? I think someone should take it from you. Why should you have luxuries when there are more deserving people?
Instead of being honest and just stating that "this is in my self interest and that's why I'm for it", people play mental gymnastics and come up with convoluted reasoning to justify their positions.

I have at least some respect for individuals who admit they're for something simply because it benefits them. Blatant self interest is a human trait after all. Even if it s a sign of a deeply flawed person. Instead these clowns couch their arguments in blatant lies while pretending that their beliefs are altruistic (using other peoples work and money of course).

Last edited by Esacni; 10-21-2022 at 05:43 AM..

Old 10-21-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Didn’t know people who make 40-130k annually are considered welfare class. 6 figures is welfare class? Lmao good luck telling that to them
The welfare class isn't based on how much you earn. It just so happens that most of the welfare class tends to earn less because the programs are more accessible to lower earners.

One of my brothers good friends tried to get in on his parents rent controlled apartment in Lower Manhattan. Him and his wife were pulling in over $300K/year. They also tried to be part of the welfare class. They dropped the idea after a years. His wife's family had a rent controlled 4 bedroom in upper Manhattan but lived full time in a house in NJ for the last 15 years. That's welfare class. Half of the Bukharians in Queens are on welfare even though they live in McMansions.

I'm not against welfare. I'm against the welfare state that NYCs politicians have built out because it's leading to the degradation of society. Threads like this are a prime example.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:03 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Welcome to the welfare state ladies and gentleman. Where the numerically illiterate blend with the authoritarian to explain why capitalism is bad because capital choosing not to work to support freeloaders is wrong.
It truly is a pointless discussion. Most of the time, the pro-rent control side doesn’t even understand the situation. At least kefir is honest about it. The others are like “blub blub, but why not? Blub blub.”

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-21-2022, 08:29 AM

6,698 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound brining in foreign policy when we're discussing NYC housing? Clearly it's a defensive trigger because you realize how ****ed up it is. I understand that people like you use anything and everything to justify your subsidization by the taxpayers or NYC. Using your logic any welfare program can be justified because the government spends money "elsewhere". It's the classic retort of the welfare class.
No, it's not ridiculous. You're pointing your finger at the "welfare class" because to you, they're using taxpayer money to "subsidize" costs. Well isn't that your same mentality by wanting the US taxpayer - not just New Yorkers to send trillions of money and of our military equipment to the Ukraine?
And for the record, I have a Masters from NYU in computer science/engineering and I make over six figures. But if the city is going to provide me with an opportunity to rent affordable, then I will take it. I am a single native New Yorker without children who has contributed way more to its tax base and since I always have to pay when I file, let my affordable experience be my ROI. I have no guilt. Absolutely none.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
No, it's not ridiculous. You're pointing your finger at the "welfare class" because to you, they're using taxpayer money to "subsidize" costs. Well isn't that your same mentality by wanting the US taxpayer - not just New Yorkers to send trillions of money and of our military equipment to the Ukraine?
And for the record, I have a Masters from NYU in computer science/engineering and I make over six figures. But if the city is going to provide me with an opportunity to rent affordable, then I will take it. I am a single native New Yorker without children who has contributed way more to its tax base and since I always have to pay when I file, let my affordable experience be my ROI. I have no guilt. Absolutely none.
Amen!! Not sure why people assume those who apply for affordable housing are part of the welfare class. Like you and many others, people making 6 figures qualify for affordable housing. It's why I laugh at a lot of the comments on here. Lots of judging on topics they know nothing about then resort to name calling (which I'm still not sure why Mods encourage that specific behavior here..its clearly a personal attack...) As if calling someone a welfare case makes their argument stronger.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:02 AM

6,698 posts, read 6,075,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It truly is a pointless discussion. Most of the time, the pro-rent control side doesn’t even understand the situation. At least kefir is honest about it. The others are like “blub blub, but why not? Blub blub.”
I am not pro-rent control. I am of the type, "If you're going to give me the opportunity, then I'm going to take it"

My dad who worked for the MTA as a motorman retired at 50 (back when that was allowed), and although he passed away 21 years ago, my mother is still the beneficiary of his NYC pension. One can argue that the city is paying way too much into the retirement system,(I've read such articles) but I'm not one who will complain about that. There are certain things that are justifiable when it comes to using tax money. Why pay into the tax system to begin with? Affordable housing, healthcare, retirement and schools etc. are all justifiable causes to spend tax money and people should not be shamed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City