Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 05:07 AM

20,086 posts, read 20,890,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Between the poor roads and tight parking, NYC cars live a rough life that accelerates the wear and tear on any car. Buy outside the city.
You gotta believe it! Lol
After I moved away from the metro area the maintenance on our vehicles was reduced by at least 80%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 09:10 AM

59 posts, read 169,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
They do it because most car shoppers don't know that they don't have to pay those fees

It isn't Illegal because you are agreeing to paying those fees when you sign the contract. Once you sign you are locked in.

By law the only fee that is regulated is the Document fee at $75

Everything else is Buyer Beware.

When I said Price + Tax "by law", I meant that those are the only two things you MUST pay. Total agreed to price plus tax. Agreed to price can include the price of the car and any extras they toss at you.

If you can, look at a nice area outside of NYC to buy a car. I've never been to a dealership in queens that wasn't playing games.
I'm still confused. Do you mean I am entitled to buy the car with the advertised price plus the doc fee and tax and the dealer must honor it? What if they don't?

Old 10-23-2022, 10:32 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,477,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
I'm still confused. Do you mean I am entitled to buy the car with the advertised price plus the doc fee and tax and the dealer must honor it? What if they don't?
Then you leave. You are not entitled to anything.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
I have a question-
when I first moved to Houston,I took my car in for repair,there seems to be more accidents then in Houston.
A couple got their new car wrecked,they were given an option of taking the cash from the insurance co or use it to fix the car?
They opt to take the money,it was like $17k.
My understanding is that insurance co just does not write you a check until they verify the repair bill,so could it be the repair shop making up repair bills and get a cut of that $17K?
AND the couple gets the $17k,but the car is not yet paid for,so the financing co takes a beating?if they repo the car,they end up with a wreck ?

Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
They have ways to wriggle out of the deal,like tell you that they have something better or there is a problem you must know.or someone just beat you to it .

Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 764,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have a question-
when I first moved to Houston,I took my car in for repair,there seems to be more accidents then in Houston.
A couple got their new car wrecked,they were given an option of taking the cash from the insurance co or use it to fix the car?
My understanding is that insurance co just does not write you a check until they verify the repair bill,so could it be the repair shop making up repair bills and get a cut of that $17K?
AND the couple gets the $17k,but the car is not yet paid for,so the financing co takes a beating?if they repo the car,they end up with a wreck ?

Gap insurance is your answer to the last question.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 PM

11,359 posts, read 16,723,324 times
It's been said.

The destination fee is paid by the original buyer and any fee of that nature being added to the price is a scam.

Don't walk away, run.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:01 PM

1,428 posts, read 730,000 times
Major scam. That's more then what I payed for my used Honda Civic when I lives in Queens.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:38 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,093,413 times
Quote:
I have a question-
The financing company has to be paid off. There is a reason why the finance company has a lien on the title. The insurance money would first go to pay the lienholder.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:42 PM

7,371 posts, read 4,156,699 times
Quote:
I have a question-
You don't get a check until the insurance rep looks at the car, takes pictures and confirm the repair shop pricing. There is no way an insurance company will take the word of the car repair shop. The repair shop doesn't get a cut of anything.

You take the $17K to pay off your car loan. If you owe more than $17K to the financing company, you pay with your own money. If the loan is less than $17K, then you have some leftover money.

If you skip out on the financing company, you'll be sued and your credit rating will be in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City