Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 07:00 PM

59 posts, read 169,764 times

Advertisements

We saw a 2018 Honda Civic used car with a good price (<$19k) from kbb and went to the dealer in Jamica today trying to settle the deal. Although they honored the price, they added $2998 destination fee into the total. Is it common here? What can I do with it?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 07:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
No. The most is a 1,200 fee at a legit dealer for a run of the mill car. And that’s not even for a Honda. That’s how they get you in for the lower price with the fine print fees buried in the ad. For 3k someone better be driving it from California to my house.

The used car market seems to be slowing. Hang tight if you want.

For perspective I paid 1395 destination for a 100k dollar corvette I just ordered.

On a used Honda before tax your at 22k from this dealer it seems. Is this a random dealer? Go to a actual Honda dealer and see if anything. Some New civics start at that for msrp. To many variables with packages to say if it’s a good price. But definitely look at the car fax

Lots of cars from Florida going to find their way into the market from the hurricane. Be wary of anything. Trust me.

Major world was big with these fees years ago. Was it power motors based on a quick search ?

Last edited by 94nasupra; 10-22-2022 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2022, 07:20 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Destination Fees are only for NEW cars.

This place is ripping you off, never buy a car in Queens lol.

Price plus Tax is all you pay on a used car by NY Law

Only add on they can do is a Doc fee max $75 by NY law

They will try to get you to pay all sorts of stuff like fake Destination fees or a "Prep Fee" lol. Prep is just a car wash basically on a used car, sometime they will wax it. One dealer tried to charge me $2100 Prep fee" I walked out. He ran after me and told me ok forget the prep fee lmao.

Get educated before stepping into a dealership which will 95% for sure try to rip you off

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/index/car-dealer-scams/

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-tricks-2013-9

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g53DkNWRgDE

They hate educated shoppers.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:41 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
Geeze who buys cahhs in queenzz?

Major world??? Oy!

Old 10-22-2022, 08:01 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Yeah you were about to get raped. Go somewhere else.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:02 PM

59 posts, read 169,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Destination Fees are only for NEW cars.

This place is ripping you off, never buy a car in Queens lol.

Price plus Tax is all you pay on a used car by NY Law

Only add on they can do is a Doc fee max $75 by NY law

They will try to get you to pay all sorts of stuff like fake Destination fees or a "Prep Fee" lol. Prep is just a car wash basically on a used car, sometime they will wax it. One dealer tried to charge me $2100 Prep fee" I walked out. He ran after me and told me ok forget the prep fee lmao.

Get educated before stepping into a dealership which will 95% for sure try to rip you off

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/index/car-dealer-scams/

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-tricks-2013-9

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g53DkNWRgDE

They hate educated shoppers.
Why do they still do it? Do they know it is illegal? What if I paid such fees and finalize the transaction, can I keep the car and have the extra fee back?

Old 10-22-2022, 08:27 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Sure you can Keep your pos flooded Honda with 18 percent interest

Old 10-22-2022, 09:18 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
Why do they still do it? Do they know it is illegal? What if I paid such fees and finalize the transaction, can I keep the car and have the extra fee back?
They do it because most car shoppers don't know that they don't have to pay those fees

It isn't Illegal because you are agreeing to paying those fees when you sign the contract. Once you sign you are locked in.

By law the only fee that is regulated is the Document fee at $75

Everything else is Buyer Beware.

When I said Price + Tax "by law", I meant that those are the only two things you MUST pay. Total agreed to price plus tax. Agreed to price can include the price of the car and any extras they toss at you.

If you can, look at a nice area outside of NYC to buy a car. I've never been to a dealership in queens that wasn't playing games.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:35 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Between the poor roads and tight parking, NYC cars live a rough life that accelerates the wear and tear on any car. Buy outside the city.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Shopping around for a Pickup out of state and saw a destination fee for $20,000 bucks.
I ran out of that dealership as if I had the runs.........................

This generation is beyond unethical..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City