Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 04:53 PM

15,906 posts, read 14,601,095 times

Advertisements

You mean the low paid crappy jobs no one wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
They can't move jobs where your physical presence is required. Jobs in retail, construction, food service, leisure, hospitality, health care, etc. will be most affected I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 09:25 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,058,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You mean the low paid crappy jobs no one wants.
I agree some of those jobs on the list are low paid like retail and food service. But health care can be high paying and NYC is full of doctors, hospitals, insurance companies, etc. Same for skilled tradesmen.

Then there's all kinds of random office jobs for white collar workers. Employers are pushing for an end to WFH so their reality will clash with this law. The greater evil is letting their expensive leased midtown office space sit empty vs just put a salary in the ad. I think they will choose the lesser evil.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:30 AM

806 posts, read 512,041 times
Looking forward to this. As someone who spent 25 years as a corporate hack, always having to play a game of chicken with my employers regarding salary, I'll finally get to see exactly how much I was truly underpaid when my former company starts posting salaries. Can't wait.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:29 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,291,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
An employer should have an idea what they should budget for a job advertised. As a job seeker, this saves time if salary is a very important factor. For eg, if the job description doesn’t outweigh salary consideration, they keep looking. This is a good law. We like data, don’t we ?
I don't disagree but I don't see how this law is enforced. Politicians like to create laws but there has to be a mechanism for enforcement. It's too easy to game the law which just means that it will be selectively enforced.

The most rational way to proceed for employers would be to list lowball salary ranges and have the candidate inquire about a higher salary.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:12 AM

8,738 posts, read 11,155,154 times
NY laws are so hostile towards business.

Empire state to Vampire state

Old 10-27-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I don't disagree but I don't see how this law is enforced. Politicians like to create laws but there has to be a mechanism for enforcement. It's too easy to game the law which just means that it will be selectively enforced.

The most rational way to proceed for employers would be to list lowball salary ranges and have the candidate inquire about a higher salary.
It's a hot job market. Even for some in demand jobs that are recession proof like an elevator repairman, low balling a job offer risks nobody responding to the ad except unqualified people. If I want to hire said repairman for $20/hr then my ad will remain unanswered.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 686,093 times
Quote:

If Indeed.com want to play ball, it can make salary listing a required field for nyc metro. At the end of the day, companies will not want to be outliers by omitting salaries if most of their competitors provide it. Also I don’t see rationale to lowball candidates for two reasons - reputational and it simply won’t attract best candidates.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:10 PM

7,718 posts, read 8,803,594 times
Does this apply to the mayor and others in high positions and their relatives?

Recall de Blasio's wife?
Bill de Blasio’s pathetic excuses for his wife’s $2 million-a-year staff

Quote:
Fourteen city workers assisting McCray cost taxpayers $2 million a year — most of it buried in the payrolls of various city agencies until former Post reporter Yoav Gonen pulled together the details for online “paper” The City.

“This work is about the needs of the people of this city especially in this crisis,” de Blasio said this week, pointing to her running of his “racial equity” task force as well as (he’s so shameless) the universally criticized ThriveNYC mental health debacle.
Where has $850m gone? Bill de Blasio's wife can't account for staggering amount of taxpayer money that the NY Mayor gave her for mental health project

Is this why there are so many mentally ill people in the subway and on the streets?

Old 10-28-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/28/n...-postings.html

The first time offense has no monetary fine but subsequent ones can result in significant fines. Citigroup already was forced to post all numbers on jobs. Also, employers must post numbers in "good faith" so if you see jobs like $0-1900/hr then they can be fined.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:34 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,291,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
It's a hot job market. Even for some in demand jobs that are recession proof like an elevator repairman, low balling a job offer risks nobody responding to the ad except unqualified people. If I want to hire said repairman for $20/hr then my ad will remain unanswered.
It wouldn't work this way when it becomes general knowledge that employers are low balling to skirt the law. Why were under the table cash jobs so popular in the 80's -2K's if they were (technically) highly illegal?

It's no different than "qualifications" on a listing. Everybody knows that HR throws the kitchen sink looking for that "purple squirrel" but if you even have 30% of what the listing wants, you're most likely "qualified" for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
If Indeed.com want to play ball, it can make salary listing a required field for nyc metro. At the end of the day, companies will not want to be outliers by omitting salaries if most of their competitors provide it. Also I don’t see rationale to lowball candidates for two reasons - reputational and it simply won’t attract best candidates.
Companies aren't stupid. They compete (in the short run) but they also collude (in the long run).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City