Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 12:00 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,489 times

Advertisements

The hospital my husband works for is giving pay raises to everyone in his department. The announcement says they make every effort to ensure employees are paid competitively in the marketplace and that they review their pay scales on an ongoing basis. But this is the first time they're doing this in the 15 years he's been there. I wonder if this pay transparency has something to do with it? (he's union and has gotten whatever increases are negotiated in the contracts, but never a voluntary bump from the hospital)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 12:38 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
The hospital my husband works for is giving pay raises to everyone in his department. The announcement says they make every effort to ensure employees are paid competitively in the marketplace and that they review their pay scales on an ongoing basis. But this is the first time they're doing this in the 15 years he's been there. I wonder if this pay transparency has something to do with it? (he's union and has gotten whatever increases are negotiated in the contracts, but never a voluntary bump from the hospital)
Healthcare is a hot field. I mentioned in another thread that patient facing healthcare for the most part CANNOT be outsourced. Furthermore, extensive restrictions on data privacy from HIPAA mean that medical records cannot be sent to 3rd party countries like India. Instead they must be reviewed and stored in America. Even the predominantly low paid Haitian and Jamaican CNAs and janitorial staff in hospitals are organizing for higher wages. Good for them. They are directly exposed to biohazard patient waste.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:07 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Healthcare is a hot field. I mentioned in another thread that patient facing healthcare for the most part CANNOT be outsourced. Furthermore, extensive restrictions on data privacy from HIPAA mean that medical records cannot be sent to 3rd party countries like India. Instead they must be reviewed and stored in America. Even the predominantly low paid Haitian and Jamaican CNAs and janitorial staff in hospitals are organizing for higher wages. Good for them. They are directly exposed to biohazard patient waste.
Good part of healthcare already is outsourced and that trend is only going up.

https://www.outsourceaccelerator.com...ies-us-market/

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.or...512-7/fulltext

https://www.biospace.com/article/hea...el-the-market/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hospi...133000104.html

Old 11-04-2022, 05:11 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Past few years with covid has thrown many healthcare providers for a loop. Staff up and down line either quit for other jobs, left profession all together and so on. As such places have had to up their game to keep what staff remains and or attract new hires.

Also many staff who remained and worked through covid were/are pi$$ed off by fact travellers (temporary nurses and others) were paid vastly more than themselves.

Rest of it is what it is and has been for some time now; many healthcare professions face a moderate to dire shortage. Staff such as professional nurses are not easily replaced. Best to give them more money if that will keep them from bolting for exits.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:53 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,025 times
My not NY based company posted a listing for a position that is in person in NYC. They aren’t paying a penny over 65k. Listed salary 50-172k, the job will pay 65k.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:03 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,036,082 times
I said PATIENT FACING healthcare. Not just healthcare in general.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,738,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Read the article. It's clear why the politicians enacted this law even. It's precisely because it can be selectively enforced and used as leverage when the need arises. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just another way to leverage campaign donations.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-compa...cy-legislation
That's not even the first thing companies can do.

According to the Wall Street Journal, you don't have to publish salaries if you don't publish the job. Companies are making open positions "unlisted" and going through recruiters to make it known only to select people that there is an opening

Old 11-07-2022, 07:53 AM

106,801 posts, read 109,039,935 times
I just looked at the 56 job openings we have on the internet sites and the salaries except for drivers and pick packers are all very wide

Old 11-07-2022, 07:56 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,738,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I just looked at the 56 job openings we have on the internet sites and the salaries except for drivers and pick packers are all very wide
That's a problem for companies too. The current employee making the low number is going to start asking questions why he's not getting the high number

Old 11-07-2022, 01:00 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's a problem for companies too. The current employee making the low number is going to start asking questions why he's not getting the high number
Everyone thinks they should be at the high end of the scale.

In software development, payscales are pretty wide. Senior developer could be 5 years of experience or 20 years or leading a team and owning a part of the tech stack. Yet the moment someone becomes a Senior, they think they should be at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: