Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times

Advertisements

I have been at this apartment since 2005 and tecnically have never been late with the rent. Although the lease says the rent is due before the 1st of the month, the rent bill actually says any payments received after the 6th of the month are subject to a $15 late fee, so i have always taken advantage of the 6 day grace period and paid on the 6th with no problems

Lately $$$ has been tight and this month is going to be right up there. This will not be indefinite(things will get easier but occasionally it happens) but I am wondering, if I took a few days after the 6th to pay, would this cause a raised brow by the landlord? Would I have to avoid him in the elevator or would he be used to late payments(he's been landlord supposedly since 1976) made by tenants? Would his opinion of me change (he buzzes me in to the lobby when i am burdened with packages and he and his wife do like me)

The rider lease has an "additonal rent" section that talks about the late fee getting added to the next month's rent and that 3 or more instances of late rent payments in a 12 months period could lead to action by the landlord

I have never technically been late before but if i had to, what would happen?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,903 times
Call the landlord and tell him how many days late you will be and pay the late fee. Better doing that then pretend its not late.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:52 AM

757 posts, read 3,362,766 times
If this is your first time being late and your landlord knows you to be a responsible tenant, they may waive the penalty. Call first, though, just to be sure. They'll appreciate that courtesy.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Back in the day, sure. From what I have observed, its a Herculean task to evict someone in NYC. A couple of days late here and there never raised any eyebrows.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM

127 posts, read 547,905 times
Since you actually see your landlord unlike most city tenants, it is advisable that you give an explanation. That way you won't feel embarassed when you see him and he won't think that your trying to live rent free. I don't see why he won't waive the late fee - you've always paid on time. It's just like asking credit card companies to waive late fees. Don't be shy.

Heck if you have a good relationship with the guy he may even put you on some kind of payment plan until your financial situation improves. With all the layoffs happening around the city a good paying tenant is hard to find.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 AM

thanks, actually on a plan of a fixed $$ per day I can make the rent and squeak through, it's just that i haven't "bought out" any time from my employer in 3 years; prior to that i always did a time buyout and i will be buying out some time next pay period. if i wanted to "breathe easier" and pay late i would have to ask him to wait until friday 6/13 to pay him when the rent is actually due friday 6/6. that makes me uncomfortable asking him to wait 7 days (it says in the lease they can give you a non-payment of rent notice 5 days after the end of the grace period)

it's not that i believe i can't do this it's more that i'm too uncomfortable to do this but if i had to i would. if i had to, would a face to face meeting be preferable over a typed letter(I could always give him the late fee in advance)?

i do have a good relationship with him. i tipped him when i moved in and he lent me his hand truck when i had to move my stuff out across the street. he didn't even do a credit check on me because i gave him 12 cancelled rent receipts from my previous landlord, proof why i had to move and he felt confident that i lived across the street for many years so he just gave me the apt

thanks for the support

Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 PM

127 posts, read 547,905 times
Your welcome. A letter should do. He'll be happy that you are paying the late fee in advance.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Default Ditto on my original post from 5/2008

for December i may need to pay the rent late 3 days after the end of the grace period(end of grace is the 6th to pay on the 9th). Within the past 2.5 years i have contemplated this a few times but never actually went thru with it. This time it would help me if i could pay late

I have never paid after the grace period ever and have been here since 6/2005.

a friend tells me why shouldn't i be able to pay late, the landlord will get my late fee ($15) and it's within the terms of the lease (they give you up to 3 times per 12 month period to pay late before anything is said to you). they don't even cash the rent checks immediately

i am uncomfortable about it because about a month after i first posted this thread in 2008 the landlord yelled at me for my apartment being dirty and having too many roaches, but i have since remedied the problem by doing a through cleaning on my own(the problem is like 75-80% improved). aside from that she's iron fisted (she is often abrupt to other tenants too but she has had periods of friendliness toward me because she knows i am quiet, pay on time and am an otherwise good tenant)

all of her complaints toward me aside from the roaches have been just plain silly and petty

they have never put anything in writing about the roaches nor given me any notice to cure. the entire bldg has a roach issue and we get monthly exterminations

i often wonder am i the only tenant who has ever contemplated paying a few days late?

i'm just nervous about what she might say to me after she reads my note that i need to pay 3 days after the due date(but will pay the late fee)

any ideas?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
I think you are unnecessarily worried.I am sure there are other tenants in the building who have been late numerous times and for longer periods.
I would explain to them personally and tell them exactly when you will give them the check.I am sure it will be fine.They have been through it many times I am sure and have probably been left wondering for weeks.Better to explain before the actual date and let them know when payment will be made.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Default I made a letter already telling when i will give it to them

these websites about paying rent late look awfully serious and unforgiving(ie a landlord can give you a pay or quit notice the day after the deadline if they want to etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: