Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 05:26 PM

106,666 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Except there are far more drivers on the road in situations which can easily lead to accidents as opposed to sitting on a subway reading a book ….a comparable situation would be crime on people riding the subway vs the LIRR or metro north per thousand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 12:36 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
I think the fear of crime on this forum is very overstated; you're far more like to die in a car crash than you are to be the victim of crime on the subway.

I think this is the only liberal city in this country whose CD forum is overwhelming populated by conservatives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLkbGB6BOM
Funny you bring up car crashes. They are out of control in 2022. Cars flipping over everywhere all the time. Even on quiet sidestrees of tree lined streets in Queens. I guess it would have nothing to do with liberals allowing young men/women to smoke weed all day and night and then drive? Or the lack of car stops by the NYPD in fear of another George Floyd incident leading to BLM riots?

Everyone is smoking weed and driving. At least in the bad ole days, folks really didn't smoke n drive often cause you were worried about getting pulled over and the cops arresting you for it. Not these days. 10x than any drunk driving going on. So yea, you are likely to get killed by a car in NYC these days vs shot by a gun.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:06 PM

16,051 posts, read 6,843,318 times
How are the Kew Gardens, Forest Hills neighborhoods for 31Y?

areavibes provides you with the basic information.

Travel to the neighborhood and explore. Feel the vibe.

Check out supermarkets. See who shops there.
Check out houses of worship. Full? Empty ?
Check out neighboring schools. How do the kids act once they are let out?
Check out the shopping parking lots. The type of vehicle says much.
Best wishes.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:44 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
How are the Kew Gardens, Forest Hills neighborhoods for 31Y?

areavibes provides you with the basic information.

Travel to the neighborhood and explore. Feel the vibe.

Check out supermarkets. See who shops there.
Check out houses of worship. Full? Empty ?
Check out neighboring schools. How do the kids act once they are let out?
Check out the shopping parking lots. The type of vehicle says much.
Best wishes.
Some of the worst neighborhoods in NY have very full houses of worship.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
I'm late 40s lived in Queens my entire life. Know it well. Also made the commute to midtown for years.

Both FH and KG are some of the "better" areas of Queens. Meaning safety and quality of life. Are they places to party? Not really. But the thing about Queens is you can just jump in a Uber and be in Astoria or a party place in minutes. Don't sweat that. However the Austin street area of FH does a lots of bars/restaurants worthy of checking out.

Considering the current crime problems impacting every area of Queens, even the higher end places that traditionally were generally crime "free," I'd never buy a place at this moment. Maybe rent for a year and see. Crime is going to get worse. Prob for the next 10 yrs or so. Why? There isn't a Rudy Guilliani or red wave of conservatives in NYC coming to save the day like there was in the 1993. The city demographics are just to uber liberal and getting more liberal by the day. Just my thoughts.

And here are some alarming criminal incidents in the area recently. Def got my attention. The crime is real. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

https://abc7ny.com/armed-robbery-sub...eens/11944469/

https://patch.com/new-york/foresthil...y-station-nypd

https://patch.com/new-york/foresthil...se-pusher-nypd

https://qns.com/2022/06/two-armed-ro...-forest-hills/

https://qns.com/2022/11/f-train-ride...-gardens-nypd/
I think the time is right again for a new Rudy Giuliani-style mayor (way before he turned crazy as a Trump supporter) to get elected. One of the lessons that stuck with me during my social work training years ago was that some times, things have to actually hit rock bottom before a person will make a change. There is coming a time when things get bad enough that citizens will unitedly stand up and vote in the type of person who is right for the job.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Funny you bring up car crashes. They are out of control in 2022. Cars flipping over everywhere all the time. Even on quiet sidestrees of tree lined streets in Queens. I guess it would have nothing to do with liberals allowing young men/women to smoke weed all day and night and then drive? Or the lack of car stops by the NYPD in fear of another George Floyd incident leading to BLM riots?
Why would NYPD fear pulling over a car would lead to another GF incident? Do they plan on using their body weight to place their knee on an apprehended suspect's neck until the person has completely stopped breathing? If that is not their mission objective, another GF incident will never happen.

Where I currently live part of the year, I see police with cars pulled over all the time (it's a speed trap interstate). The demographics of those stopped are varied. I've noticed that sometimes the person pulled over looks more similar to George Floyd than not. I have yet to read about a policemen in this area acting the way that led to the GF murder. Again, it's a speed trap so M-F, there's always someone pulled over. I live p/t in NYS and have not read/heard of NYPD doing that either.

Your statement makes it appear that you believe one or two things; 1) that the men and women of NYPD are unable to refrain from the barbaric behavior of a bad policeman in MN and/or 2) that when barbarism by police is carried out on a Black person, Black Americans (along with Whites and other Americans) should not have an emotional reaction to what has happened but instead remain nice, passive or indifferent.

If I've understood this correctly, let me assure you that those days are GONE of silent, passive acceptance of barbarism from public servants towards certain Americans simply because they are Black. If I've misunderstood you, I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: