Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 10:11 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,973,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Headlines should read "MANHATTAN homeless mentally ill will be forced off streets into hospital,treatment under Mayor Adams plan."

I seriously doubt there will be much,if any, rounding up of homeless,mentally ill people from the streets of the other boroughs.
Hopefully it's not limited to Manhattan as the mentally ill homeless population is across the City. Still we should applaud the right decision made by Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 11:53 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,159,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Hopefully it's not limited to Manhattan as the mentally ill homeless population is across the City. Still we should applaud the right decision made by Adams.
Withholding my applauds until I see it in my neighborhood. I'll be the first to let you know but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Been around for too long. My bet is that even in Manhattan the only place you will notice anything above 96th St will be in the area of the 125th st metro north station. Midtown Manhattan, midtown subway stations, Penn Station and UES will see bulk of the action.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:32 AM

12,335 posts, read 17,205,396 times
They need to hurry up. Yesterday morning it was awful down there, the cold forcing more underground. A woman also had acid or some other chemical splashed on her in Brooklyn, by someone who was pushing other riders and ranting beforehand.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:34 AM

5,948 posts, read 3,058,649 times
I hope they remove these poor folk.
I often wonder how people like that end up on a street. The truly mentally sick. They had a mother, parents, siblings? Someone who cared at some point no?

Old 12-03-2022, 05:28 PM

2,925 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Not a fan of Adams, but this is a step in the right direction and I support it.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...umu-story.html

More NYC homeless mentally ill would be forced off streets to hospitals, treatment under Mayor Adams plan

New York City cops and mental health clinicians who engage emotionally disturbed people on streets and subways will now be armed with a much broader interpretation of state law to institutionalize those who pose a risk to themselves or others.

That broader, more defined legal reading will likely result in the city placing more mentally ill homeless people into hospitals against their will.

Mod cut
Yay! This should have been enacted decades ago but better late than never. This is the humane thing to do.

Old 12-03-2022, 05:33 PM

2,925 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Headlines should read "MANHATTAN homeless mentally ill will be forced off streets into hospital,treatment under Mayor Adams plan."

I seriously doubt there will be much,if any, rounding up of homeless,mentally ill people from the streets of the other boroughs.
I've never noticed the problem to be as bad in other boroughs (not even the Bronx) as I have in the city. Manhattan is ground zero for mentally ill homeless people.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:35 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,057,636 times
Only in NYC is it controversial to arrest violent lunatics who scream, hit, and bite strangers. The crazies are not as gone as people think they are. They cluster in Manhattan because that's where all the money from begging comes from.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:52 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,538,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I like Mayor Adam's plan but it is only a start. Some of these mentally ill people cannot be cured. You either medically tame them and support them forever or let them onto the streets. Our modern society has no solution to deal with them permanently.
Agreed. A large percentage of these people are so mentally ill and/or fried from hard drug use that the only solution short of a time machine is forcible commitment in loony bins. But good luck getting that done.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:43 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,973,197 times
Quote:
Withholding my applauds until I see it in my neighborhood. I'll be the first to let you know but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Been around for too long. My bet is that even in Manhattan the only place you will notice anything above 96th St will be in the area of the 125th st metro north station. Midtown Manhattan, midtown subway stations, Penn Station and UES will see bulk of the action.
I understand where you are coming from, however some action is better than no action. Even if its only Manhattan that gets cleaned up, it's still a net positive for NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City