Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 09:20 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

A NYC history tidbit.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

Italian, Irish and Arab Americans are the predominant ethnic groups in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, but the neighborhood was once home to a flourishing Norwegian population...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 01:12 PM

432 posts, read 551,319 times
Hasn't really been Irish/Italian for quite some time now, save for a few holdouts.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:21 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Aeran, thank you for sharing this information. Please keep going with the quality information that you post. It's much appreciated.

Bay Ridge and other southern Brooklyn neighborhoods are my favorites for the family atmosphere and great dining options.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:02 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I wouldn’t call the Norwegian influence in that area “hidden”. It may not be as well known by the typical transplant of today’s NYC but to natives that was always known.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-09-2022, 02:04 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
I'm pretty sure Swedish too. My friend is of Swedish descent. Some of her family (I think a great aunt and cousins) once lived in Bay Ridge.

Has anyone been to Leske's? It's a Scandinavian bakery in Bay Ridge.

Old 12-09-2022, 02:15 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
I'm pretty sure Swedish too. My friend is of Swedish descent. Some of her family (I think a great aunt and cousins) once lived in Bay Ridge.

I believe Leske's closed a few years ago. Bay Ridge has had a strong Norweigan presence from years ago when many settled there - In fact I worked with some Norweigans in my office. There were some Swedes, but more Norweigans. Years ago I knew a Swedish lady. She would take me to the Swedish church off of 5th Avenue by 48th St. REALLY good Swedish coffee there and of course they had their Kanelbullars. Ever since Fika closed, I haven't been able to get my Swedish fix. There's Ole & Steen, but they're Danish.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:44 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post

There was a MUCH heavier Norwegian population. They still have the yearly Norwegian Day Parade and they have a Viking festival in the park. For large Scandinavian populations, one probably needs to travel to Minnesota these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I believe Leske's closed a few years ago. Bay Ridge has had a strong Norweigan presence from years ago when many settled there - In fact I worked with some Norweigans in my office. There were some Swedes, but more Norweigans. Years ago I knew a Swedish lady. She would take me to the Swedish church off of 5th Avenue by 48th St. REALLY good Swedish coffee there and of course they had their Kanelbullars. Ever since Fika closed, I haven't been able to get my Swedish fix. There's Ole & Steen, but they're Danish.
Leske's is still open but they've opened and closed a few times. It's under different ownership, I believe. They've changed things around a lot in terms of what they do/offer.

There used to be an actual Norwegian deli/store on 3rd Ave which did close many years ago. I used to go there to pick up some stuff, like nokkelost. I miss the krumkake! And it's "Norwegian" not Norweigan---show a small part of my ancestry some respect!

Old 12-10-2022, 04:27 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Leske's is still open but they've opened and closed a few times. It's under different ownership, I believe. They've changed things around a lot in terms of what they do/offer.

There used to be an actual Norwegian deli/store on 3rd Ave which did close many years ago. I used to go there to pick up some stuff, like nokkelost. I miss the krumkake! And it's "Norwegian" not Norweigan---show a small part of my ancestry some respect!
That's good because they abruptly closed last I heard and I thought it was permanently. If I misspelled it (Norwegian), apologies. I was typing on a mobile device and sometimes that happens.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:12 PM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Most of the square heads migrated to Staten Island and then Northern NJ /Pa (Mt Bethel).
I actually marched in that parade as a boy in the 70’s. Lol

Old 12-11-2022, 03:38 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Most of the square heads migrated to Staten Island and then Northern NJ /Pa (Mt Bethel).
I actually marched in that parade as a boy in the 70’s. Lol
A lot safer and better quality of life living around, as you say, square heads (we know who you mean) vs. the majority of the city's current demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City