Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:44 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Till this day I cant understand what on Earth would make her (Trisha) decide to jog ALONE in a park in NYC in the dark???? especially back in those days.

I also agree, I don't think the 5 were exactly angels either, but, that's neither here nor there. But, to be convicted of something you didn't do......

I am not for any name change at all for anything, tunnels, bridges, etc, to me there is no need for it.

Once a name is created, it is hard to change it years later.

Hey, to me, Fr Capodanno Blvd will always be forever to me as "Seaside Blvd"

Last edited by nightcrawler; 12-17-2022 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 04:27 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Till this day I cant understand what on Earth would make her (Trisha) decide to jog ALONE in a park in NYC in the dark???? especially back in those days.

I also agree, I don't think the 5 were exactly angels either, but, that's neither here nor there. But, to be convicted of something you didn't do......

I am not for any name change at all for anything, tunnels, bridges, etc, to me there is no need for it.

Once a name is created, it is hard to change it years later.

Hey, to me, Fr Capodanno Blvd will always be forever to me as "Seaside Blvd"
Her jogging alone in a park in no way justifies violent thugs nearly killing her, let alone naming something after them.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Her jogging alone in a park in no way justifies violent thugs nearly killing her, let alone naming something after them.

it doesnt, but she was still stupid for jogging alone in the park in the dark.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:00 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
The overturning of their convictions should have been appealed. Even if one feels that their confessions were coerced, friends of theirs testified against them at trial. This was a good case as far as the law is concerned.

At best, an overturning of the rape convictions should have occurred, but there was ample evidence to maintain the general assault convictions. Also, if I recall correctly, evidence presented at trial didn't have everyone actually taking place in the forceful penetration of the victim, but rather claimed that some aided in the assault in other ways.

Old 12-18-2022, 03:13 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
The vast majority of NYC crime is committed by a subset of criminals who have committed multiple crimes for which they have not been caught and punished for.
I’ll wager that they Central Park 5 are amongst them.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:32 AM

3,198 posts, read 1,665,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The vast majority of NYC crime is committed by a subset of criminals who have committed multiple crimes for which they have not been caught and punished for.
I’ll wager that they Central Park 5 are amongst them.
Because there is no crime and punishment once you already committed multiple crimes and the system cannot punish you exponentially for more. While the criminal can keep committing crimes unabated because the criminal justice system isn’t designed or created to punish equal to the amount of offenses.

If a criminal kills 1-5 people, the crime is about the same as killing 2 people. If the person kills 5-10, the punishment is about the same as killing 5 people probably 20 years behind bars for each.

So what deters criminals from doing more damage? The only way to do so is remove the person from society but it seems the system has ruled that it isn’t the government’s responsibility to hold people incarcerated anymore for crime they were charged of. While they await for cases to be heard, they are free to commit more while the system is backed up awaiting for the case.

Terrible justice system. The government isn’t looking out for taxpayers. It is looking out for the government workers. As long as there is crime, the government payroll has existence.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Seems fair.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:39 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Because there is no crime and punishment once you already committed multiple crimes and the system cannot punish you exponentially for more. While the criminal can keep committing crimes unabated because the criminal justice system isn’t designed or created to punish equal to the amount of offenses.

If a criminal kills 1-5 people, the crime is about the same as killing 2 people. If the person kills 5-10, the punishment is about the same as killing 5 people probably 20 years behind bars for each.

So what deters criminals from doing more damage? The only way to do so is remove the person from society but it seems the system has ruled that it isn’t the government’s responsibility to hold people incarcerated anymore for crime they were charged of. While they await for cases to be heard, they are free to commit more while the system is backed up awaiting for the case.

Terrible justice system. The government isn’t looking out for taxpayers. It is looking out for the government workers. As long as there is crime, the government payroll has existence.
Judges want to move cases through the system. And when a perp has multiple cases they are usually bundled together (the time is given concurrently) to incentivize a perp to plea out.
So in effect that means that there is no punishment for committing multiple crimes.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 12-19-2022 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 01:12 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,665,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Judges want to move cases through the system. And when a perp has multiple cases they are usually bundled together (the time is given concurrently) to incentivize a perp to plea out.
That’s true but it’s the prosecutor who is making swift easy no punishment indictment just to get the cases closed quickly giving victims the restitution and justice. You don’t keep putting the criminal back on the street on no punishment and often no deterrent to rape or rob. This creates a mistrust of the judicial process when the DA or prosecution avoids hefty penalty in order to get a plea.

They’re no longer interested in protecting the public and no justice for victims. For this reason, criminals are being re-arrested and committing majority of the crime because we allow them unabated.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:11 PM

the central park 5 was on the news today with the re naming.

also, Robert Dinero's house was robbed by a woman of color, oh surprise surprise, that had multiple arrests already, surprise surprise, and yet, these criminals are still let out on the streets, oh surprise surprise.

OK Hocul, and Addams, what are you going to do about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City