Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 06:46 PM

35,239 posts, read 17,123,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion********

A park entrance renamed " The Gate of the Exonerated " while Trisha regretting the 5 settled out of court.
Trisha remains still adamant there was more than one attacker.
Kind of like the O.J. Story. Many people of color happy he was vindicated.
Many whites upset with the verdict. The murderer of Nicole Simpson still remains at large.**************
True justice serves everybody.
I am one white person who believes OJ was not guilty, but that is not the topic. It is entirely possible that some or all of those arrested that night in the "wilding" attack were not involved. But, these were hardly choir boys. Maybe the convictions should have been set aside, because of reasonable doubt. But, did we really have to pay those people off? Did we really have to honor them with a gate? I doubt that they could have answered questions if they sued for wrongful imprisonment in a civil action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 10:52 PM

621 posts, read 241,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I doubt you have ever read anything about the CP5 beyond what the NYT and NPR has told you. Simply put, the fact that rape could not be proved via DNA matching did not absolve them of attacking that poor woman. The 2002 commission that agreed to remove the rape charges states this explicitly.

Thankfully, the city has a website with most of the original police reports available to the public. Start from the beginning. Read their statements and notice the date/time stamps and who was present at the time the statements were made and the consistency between the statements. Notice in the document dump that 38 males were arrested for the violence in the park that night, only five were connected to the jogger, two of the five implicated themselves immediately when they were first arrested, one in the back of the squad car taking him to the Precint house. No coercion, no beatings, no starving of the defendants.

Don't take my word for it, read about it yourself. It is all in the city's documents related to the case.

Even a cursory read of their statements I am sure would change your belief that a permanent structure at the entrance of CP should be erected to reward the CP5 as exemplary humanists.

http://www.nyc-cpj.org/Home/folder?c...on/Statements/

You don't even know the definition of "exonerate". And you're going to educate me on this case? I think not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
It's tough arguing with the woke, but here goes

"At 9 p.m. on April 19, 1989, a group of an estimated 30 to 32 teenagers who lived in East Harlem entered Manhattan's Central Park at an entrance in Harlem, near Central Park North.[6] Some of the group committed several attacks, assaults, and robberies against people who were either walking, biking, or jogging in the northernmost part of the park near the reservoir, and victims began to report the incidents to police.[7]

Within the North Woods, between 102nd and 105th Street, assailants were reported attacking several bicyclists, hurling rocks at a cab, and attacking a pedestrian, whom they robbed of his food and beer and left unconscious.[6][8] The teenagers roamed south along the park's East Drive and the 97th Street transverse, between 9 and 10 p.m.[6] Police attempted to apprehend suspects after crimes began to be reported between 9 and 10 p.m."

Do these people deserve a plaque of honor to you, even before they assaulted Trisha Meili and left her to die (let's say rape didn't happen - they still assaulted an innocent woman)?
If yes, then that is quite literally scraping the bottom of the barrel and an insult to the law-abiding black community.

You are missing the point of the plaque which is to honor the men who spent a chunk of their lives sitting in jail for a crime - rape - that they did not commit. They were not sitting in jail for years on end for assaulting pedestrians or hurling rocks. If I'm "woke", then you should "wake up" too and focus on why they were in jail - i.e., rape. And quite frankly, I'm not going to believe a word from the same police detectives who pinned that rape on those four men. That's like believing SBF's crypto recommendation AFTER discovering he lied about properly managing your initial investment.

Old 12-20-2022, 06:13 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,680,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
You are missing the point of the plaque which is to honor the men who spent a chunk of their lives sitting in jail for a crime - rape - that they did not commit.
Why do you only focus on ONE of the charges leveled against the CP5 when there were many charges?

Again, read abut the case from a source other than NPR and NYT. Regarding this particular post, read why the DA's office decided against prosecuting the CP5 after the 2002 report. They are explicit stating time- served is all they could expect for all other charges OTHER THAN THE RAPE CHARGE.

Here's the link again to the NYC case documents. Everything I posted above is in that trove of documents.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 12-20-2022 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 11:52 AM

621 posts, read 241,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Why do you only focus on ONE of the charges leveled against the CP5 when there were many charges?

Again, read abut the case from a source other than NPR and NYT. Regarding this particular post, read why the DA's office decided against prosecuting the CP5 after the 2002 report. They are explicit stating time- served is all they could expect for all other charges OTHER THAN THE RAPE CHARGE.

Here's the link again to the NYC case documents. Everything I posted above is in that trove of documents.

First of all, I'm not going to read through a trove of documents when we're talking about exoneration from a rape case. You're focusing on lesser charges that has nothing to do with the main charge of rape which landed the men in jail for many years. And you're doing that to purposely avoid the truth - that they should've never been hit with rape charges in the first place.

The second reason why I'm not going to read your trove of documents is b/c the prosecutor Linda Fairstein was corrupt. And when the men were proven innocent, both by the man in jail who admitted to the rape + the DNA evidence, she still refuses to admit wrongdoing. Kind of like what you're doing right now. That's why everyone, like her publisher, ran from her after the truth came out. So anything corrupt Linda says is bunk in my eyes.

I'm not going to faux-litigate this case with you. It's closed now. Justice was finally awarded to those men. And I'm in favor of a CP plaque!

Old 12-20-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to faux-litigate this case with you. It's closed now. Justice was finally awarded to those men. And I'm in favor of a CP plaque!
You ignore my post at 8:46 p.m. yesterday.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:44 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,680,238 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm not going to read through a trove of documents when we're talking about exoneration from a rape case. You're focusing on lesser charges that has nothing to do with the main charge of rape which landed the men in jail for many years. And you're doing that to purposely avoid the truth - that they should've never been hit with rape charges in the first place.
The point of the reading the documents is so you understand that the CP5 would have most likely went to jail because of their involvement in the assault on the jogger. Read the statements. They all have the same story of beating that poor woman into submission. One admitted his involvement to a police man in the back of the squad car while being driven to the precint house, one stated a cut he received under his eye came from the jogger (before the investigators questioned him about the jogger) and of course one admitted his involvement to his girl friend while at Rikers.

So, yeah, the CP5 would have done time without the rape charge.

I agree with you that with 20/20 hindsight the rape charges could not be supported today. But, was there this racist conspiracy to convict the CP5? Not at all. Thirty eight youths from that group of wilding boys were brought in for questioning that night, only six provided the same chronology of their actions that night. Four of them, on the night of the crime, independently of each other, not knowing the others were arrested and being questioned, provided the same basic story - attacking a white female jogger.

We can disagree on the details but a plaque to commemorate the CP5 who admitted to setting out to terrorize and rob people in the park? That's ridiculous.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 12-20-2022 at 12:58 PM..

Old 12-20-2022, 01:12 PM

5,859 posts, read 2,977,889 times
This bending over for the ghetto to show how liberal they are is really old at this point. I don’t think anyone takes this seriously. Frankly I don’t think anyone outside of some liberal class will know about the name change let alone care, black or white.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:27 AM

16,154 posts, read 6,896,236 times
My opinion:

A chameleon changes its colors to match the earth but never its skin.

Thin skinned politicians will give the public what they want to hear, including lies, as long as it gets them the votes.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:47 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Black Boys were accused of rape. There was NO rape.

Now only compensation needs to be decided. A Park Entrance is small potatoes.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Black Boys were accused of rape. There was NO rape.

Now only compensation needs to be decided. A Park Entrance is small potatoes.
They were accused of a lot more than rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City