Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:25 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,772,398 times

Advertisements

I never had a latke in my life but looking at this is causing me to crave one.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

The establishment has been at 137 East Houston St. on the Lower East Side since 1910
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 06:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 674,253 times
“Depending on taste, they can be consumed plain or with something else.“

With sour cream or apple sauce please

Old 12-21-2022, 06:46 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,913,061 times
I like them with both

Old 12-21-2022, 09:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Advertising?

Old 12-22-2022, 03:46 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,360,634 times
I just recently saw an ad for this place that they ship now. I checked out the web site and you can get six plain knishes for $80. That's over $13. per piece.

A single, plain knish from there is $4.75 on Grubhub and GH is notorious for increasing the price of the items.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:36 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,979,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
“Depending on taste, they can be consumed plain or with something else.“

With sour cream or apple sauce please
Reminds me of Perogis at Veselka in the E.Village. Soo good. comfort food.

Been too long.

Old 12-22-2022, 05:47 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
Jewish food is very overpriced. Especially kosher. For those of us who aren't Jewish it doesn't make a difference.

Ps I find it ironic how the bagel industry has now been taken over by Arabs and Muslims.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Jewish food is very overpriced. Especially kosher. For those of us who aren't Jewish it doesn't make a difference.

Ps I find it ironic how the bagel industry has now been taken over by Arabs and Muslims.
It depends. If you’re out in brooklyn or queens eating at a Kosher restaurant … like Samarkand on Woodhaven Blvd, food is actually extremely delicious and reasonably priced. You don’t see only Jews eating there.
Katz is probably the most well known Jewish establishment, their prices were never cheap though. I’m not sure what you mean bagel “industry” being taken over, to me good bagels are made in-house.
Stay safe and be well.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
It depends. If you’re out in brooklyn or queens eating at a Kosher restaurant … like Samarkand on Woodhaven Blvd, food is actually extremely delicious and reasonably priced. You don’t see only Jews eating there.
Katz is probably the most well known Jewish establishment, their prices were never cheap though. I’m not sure what you mean bagel “industry” being taken over, to me good bagels are made in-house.
Stay safe and be well.
Most of the street side breakfast carts are run by Arabs who are usually Muslim. Same for the halal food trucks which sell breakfast 24/7. If you haven't seen them lately then I guess you haven't been to midtown. The bagels are bought in bulk from long island or queens Muslim owned bakeries. I know because I talk to the cart owners who said their prices are cheaper than the Jewish owned bakeries. And most customers don't recognize the difference.

Think of the profit margins. You buy 50 bagels at wholesale price for maybe .30 on the dollar. Then throw some butter and cream cheese which costs what, maybe another $1-2? Sell the whole thing for $3. Maybe get fancy with the turkey bacon and egg but that complicates things.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Most of the street side breakfast carts are run by Arabs who are usually Muslim. Same for the halal food trucks which sell breakfast 24/7. If you haven't seen them lately then I guess you haven't been to midtown. The bagels are bought in bulk from long island or queens Muslim owned bakeries. I know because I talk to the cart owners who said their prices are cheaper than the Jewish owned bakeries. And most customers don't recognize the difference.

Think of the profit margins. You buy 50 bagels at wholesale price for maybe .30 on the dollar. Then throw some butter and cream cheese which costs what, maybe another $1-2? Sell the whole thing for $3. Maybe get fancy with the turkey bacon and egg but that complicates things.
Bagels sold in carts = being mass produced to sell cheaply. They're no more authentic than croissants at the same carts or at the 711 stores. I'm not dissing the carts cuz I buy from them too, and it doesn't matter who runs them - it's mostly immigrants of course (Arabs but I've seen many Latinos also).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City