Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

The Discovery Channel filmed a reality show taken place at St. Baranabas Emergency Room..it will feature the usual gun shot victims, violence, and other high rating hype that will no doubt feed fuel to the usual "Bronx is dangerous" BS.

While MTV's The Real World is being filmed in Brooklyn, the Bronx still gets the Emergency Room Victims/Violence reputation. Thanks Discovery Channel!

So many other sides of the Bronx to see...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default They chose it for a reason ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
The Discovery Channel filmed a reality show taken place at St. Baranabas Emergency Room..it will feature the usual gun shot victims, violence, and other high rating hype that will no doubt feed fuel to the usual "Bronx is dangerous" BS.

While MTV's The Real World is being filmed in Brooklyn, the Bronx still gets the Emergency Room Victims/Violence reputation. Thanks Discovery Channel!

So many other sides of the Bronx to see...

[LEFT][SIZE=2]In '911: The Bronx,' reality TV gets tough[/SIZE][/LEFT]
Because there is a lot of action there. They chose it because of the high rate of violence which will make for more emergency room stories. I don't see why you are faulting them because of the violence that takes place near that particular hospital. The violence was already there and the producers of the show were attracted to it. Reality is what it is and if you're scouting locations for reality TV regarding an emergency room you will look for the reality that is the most active. Also, I don't consider the entire Bronx dangerous just because this hospital has a lot of emergency cases. It's just one area in a large borough after all.

As for The Real World, I think it would be much more interesting if they plopped their group down in BedSty, Brownsville, East NY, etc., instead of mollycoddling them.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM

If you are looking for a high rate of violence, I think there are far more communities with a higher rate of violence in Brooklyn, Miami, Detroit, Philly, LA, and Chicago as of late for that matter. The usual Bronx = Violence is just feeding into the same old hype....its an easy story that everyone can buy into b/c of a FORMER reputation.

As for the real world...it would be far better and actually the REAL WORLD if it took place with real people, in a real community, with real problems, like a welfare family's struggles in East NY housing projects, or a working class family in Appalachia, an immigrant family in LA, etc...and not just a bunch of kids, living in a house, getting drunk, fighting, and having sex...why is that show even on anymore.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
If you are looking for a high rate of violence, I think there are far more communities with a higher rate of violence in Brooklyn, Miami, Detroit, Philly, LA, and Chicago as of late for that matter. The usual Bronx = Violence is just feeding into the same old hype....its an easy story that everyone can buy into b/c of a FORMER reputation.
It's not a former reputation. The Bronx is still the poorest and most violent NYC borough. It's not like it went from a murder rate of 100 in 1990 to being the safest borough presently. It's still the worst.

And the Bronx differs from Brooklyn because it has more high crime areas. A large portion of Brooklyn is filled with private homes and the LOWEST CRIME RATES in the city. There's only like 4 Brooklyn hoods that are bad. The Bronx is almost all bad throughout. Whether it's the western neighborhoods, or the southern neighborhoods or even the far north east hoods it's all bad.

The difference between Bronx and Brooklyn and the other hoods is that while Miami, Detroit, Philly etc may have higher crime rates....the Bronx/Brooklyn have a higher number of crimes. This is due to the higher population. NYC was the murder capital of the US last year. No other city had 400 homicides. But in terms of population it was pretty safe. The point is there are more crimes to be recorded and reported making the show have more to work with. Heck precincts alone have 2,000 crimes a year.

Quote:
As for the real world...it would be far better and actually the REAL WORLD if it took place with real people, in a real community, with real problems, like a welfare family's struggles in East NY housing projects, or a working class family in Appalachia, an immigrant family in LA, etc...and not just a bunch of kids, living in a house, getting drunk, fighting, and having sex...why is that show even on anymore.
LOL I like that show. Are they going to film in a gentrified neighborhood or are they going to film in the ghetto?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM

59 posts, read 238,125 times
I totally agree with guywithacause how can you call a show the "real world" and all you do is put a bunch of young kids in an expensive house and watch them party and bull**** thats not what the real world is to me they should change the name of the show to "real bull****". How about the producers put them in Soundview, Melrose or Patterson projects in the bronx lol and see how they handle that lol thats what I would call the "real world"

Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
I totally agree with guywithacause how can you call a show the "real world" and all you do is put a bunch of young kids in an expensive house and watch them party and bull**** thats not what the real world is to me they should change the name of the show to "real bull****". How about the producers put them in Soundview, Melrose or Patterson projects in the bronx lol and see how they handle that lol thats what I would call the "real world"
LOL agreed. It will make the show more interesting. But it can be pretty dangerous. Imagine them having to walk through ENY after a night clubbing. The thugs see the camera and immediately think prey.

Where are they filming?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I would think a Detroit ER show would be much more gritty and interesting. Detroit is a total ****hole seriously, and its headed in an even worse direction with the way the major American car companies are cutting costs left and right. But hey the name, The Bronx still holds a lot of weight when it comes to scaring the bajesus out of people.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 PM

SuperWario...the Bronx's violent past is just that..the past. Yes it is still the poorest and highest crime rate in the city, in general, however it is but a shadow of its former self, when the real violence and crime was happening over 15 years ago. Had this show taken place then...there would be no argument from me, or any other reasonable person for that matter. However, it makes for good viewing and high ratings to see this type of show in the Bronx...although I think it would have been far better to see it in Brooklyn, because it goes against all the hype and marketing.

As for the real world....I would love to see these people walk through ENY after a night of clubbing, not only will it remind people that not all is fine and dandy in NYC, but it will give a dose of reality to those who think they have problems! Would love Real World Mott Haven!!!! I think a few of us in here would make it a great show!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:28 PM

LOL.....I am all for real world Mott Haven.

But they will just name it Real World: South Bronx. I wouldn't mind being on the show....as long as I get all the ladies .

Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM

I am sure there will be enough ladies for everyone. And you are right..it would be Real World: South Bronx...and I bet it would be very highly rated at that! Who would not want to see the infamous South Bronx today through the eyes of young people of different backgrounds, reliogions, and from different parts of the country..it could be quite good actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: