Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 01:20 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I've lived in places with gas and with electric (newer construction). I much prefer gas, especially for cooking. Just a lot more convenient for a host of reasons.
In few years only places with gas for anything will be older places; state is forcing all new construction to be heat pumps or whatever. *No gas*, just like NYC.

https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2022/12...-do-they-cost/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
So, how do I search for a building without any subsidized units or welfare free riders? If I'm paying market rate then I don't want to be surrounded by low income lifestyle people as neighbors. Drugs, loud music, domestic violence calls, etc.
To achieve those goals you'd have to confine your apartment searches to 100% market rate buildings (co-op, condo, rental). Every single "lottery" building with "affordable" or "low income" housing component is open to having people you mentioned as tenants. City takes people from homeless shelters, with vouchers or whatever else and puts them in high end luxury buildings.

Come to think about it, unless market rate building has units that all rent for more than Section 8 or other voucher limits, you still could have such persons moving in.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:07 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
You move into a co-op or condo or an older building. The newer stuff pretty much has to have some level of subsidized units.
That's not even true. I live in a co-op now and there's section 8 tenants causing issues. Of course they're behind the rent but also have no problem selling drugs from their apt. I know because multiple times, their customers knocked on my door by accident. Most apologize once they realize their mistake but others get unhinged and accused me of hiding their dealer who owes them money or something else. The police have also been over numerous times.

I think I have to just leave NYS.

Old 12-30-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You move into a co-op or condo or an older building. The newer stuff pretty much has to have some level of subsidized units.
No, not at all.

An eff ton of luxury housing has gone up on UES and virtually all of them are market rate with zero subsidized anything. Granted most are condos but still.

Developers who can build as of right don't need anything extra from city thus don't have deal with whole "inclusive/mandatory" affordable component.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:06 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
$2500 rent with no heat
2500 is not a luxury price. That’s actually more middle income housing.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:39 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
That's not even true. I live in a co-op now and there's section 8 tenants causing issues. Of course they're behind the rent but also have no problem selling drugs from their apt. I know because multiple times, their customers knocked on my door by accident. Most apologize once they realize their mistake but others get unhinged and accused me of hiding their dealer who owes them money or something else. The police have also been over numerous times.

Well then your board obviously doesn't screen who moves in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, not at all.

An eff ton of luxury housing has gone up on UES and virtually all of them are market rate with zero subsidized anything. Granted most are condos but still.

Developers who can build as of right don't need anything extra from city thus don't have deal with whole "inclusive/mandatory" affordable component.
Of course, but if they want the tax breaks, they obviously do have to include affordable housing. Some developers don't need it.

Old 01-07-2023, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
but others get unhinged and accused me of hiding their dealer who owes them money or something else.
Does he have his own closet or do you hide him under the bed?

Old 01-07-2023, 01:35 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In few years only places with gas for anything will be older places; state is forcing all new construction to be heat pumps or whatever. *No gas*, just like NYC.

https://www.fingerlakes1.com/2022/12...-do-they-cost/

Another NYS dictatorial 'mandate' solely designed to bankrupt homeowners.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:19 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
2500 is not a luxury price. That’s actually more middle income housing.
I agree. I was about to ask if that was the lower income rental price within the building?

Old 01-07-2023, 03:52 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:

Unbelievable that you have to live with that sh*t. Explain how a section-8 tenant ends up in a co-op. I'm a homeowner and co-ops always confuse me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: