Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 12:28 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,154,446 times

Advertisements

Whether you like them or not Wegman's is an improvement to that neighborhood, especially since it's across the street from the Farragut Houses. Not what you'd normally consider a desirable location. I find it a little funny that it was built with a large parking lot. The anti-car Brooklyn progressives must have had a fit. But adults needs cars to make large supermarket purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 12:31 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,463,858 times
We go to this Wegman's location relatively frequently, maybe 1-2 times per month. It's got a fantastic selection and the prices are not too bad. The store experience is really unique, compared to most grocery stores.

Wegman's is also opening a Manhattan location in late 2023. Opening up at the former Kmart store site in Astor Place.

I think this location will also do incredibly well for Wegman's.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Whether you like them or not Wegman's is an improvement to that neighborhood, especially since it's across the street from the Farragut Houses. Not what you'd normally consider a desirable location. I find it a little funny that it was built with a large parking lot. The anti-car Brooklyn progressives must have had a fit. But adults needs cars to make large supermarket purchases.
An Aldi's is more appropriate for the neighborhood. Cheap. No frills. Quality bulk items.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:58 PM

5,832 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
An Aldi's is more appropriate for the neighborhood. Cheap. No frills. Quality bulk items.
Aldi reminded me of Soviet union in early 90s. Bare and poor.

No thanks

Old 01-12-2023, 03:19 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
That part of Brooklyn's demographic has a much higher-earning per household earnings though, than the public houses across the street would make it appear.

The public housing portion is a very small slice of that piece of the area.

Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Boerum Hill, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, are all within a 3-10 minute subway ride away, and all have household incomes well over $100k+ each.

Old 01-12-2023, 03:38 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That part of Brooklyn's demographic has a much higher-earning per household earnings though, than the public houses across the street would make it appear.

The public housing portion is a very small slice of that piece of the area.

Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Boerum Hill, Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, are all within a 3-10 minute subway ride away, and all have household incomes well over $100k+ each.
That is true, but I still get the impression that a chunk of people drive there, even if it is from those nearby neighborhoods.

It seems like they like to push a lot of their store brands too. I was checking out their prices for non-store brand items and they are more expensive than competitors, though nothing preposterous.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 547,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Aldi reminded me of Soviet union in early 90s. Bare and poor.

No thanks
I only went to one Aldi's - the one in Queens - and it's like you described. But I heard from a friend in Penn. that the Aldi's near him are really nice.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:43 PM

37,164 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That is true, but I still get the impression that a chunk of people drive there, even if it is from those nearby neighborhoods.

It seems like they like to push a lot of their store brands too. I was checking out their prices for non-store brand items and they are more expensive than competitors, though nothing preposterous.

They do have a parking lot, but there are also a lot of people living close by (even more so now as they built a lot of housing between Flushing Ave and the BQE and a lot of that housing is not cheap and there's also Vinegar Hill), lots of employees and businesses nearby as part of the same Brooklyn Navy Yard complex which employees a lot of people with pretty decent incomes, lots of bus service including a shuttle bus for the Navy Yard, a ferry service on the Astoria Line, and a pretty well-trafficked bike lane. I think it's probably a pretty wide mix of people there. I know people with businesses in the Navy Yard and the Wegmans is a popular take-out lunch place as well as a place to pick up a few things after work and that's not necessarily with driving to work for them. What I did see a lot of though are people there as I assume Instacart delivery service and they may have drove there.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

Been going to Wegmans in NJ for ages; the place is what it is....

Compared to what passes for supermarkets in much of NYC Wegmans certainly is a step up. But toe to toe they often aren't marginally better than say Whole Foods or maybe Trader Joe's. It depends upon what you're needs are I suppose.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:33 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times
I order from Wegmans pretty regulary via Instacart and love it. The prices for items may be a few cents more on Instacart so if anything, the prices in store may be lower than these.

The most startling difference:
Pellegrino case of 24 16.9 ounce bottles of mineral water:
Shoprite: $32.18
Wegmans: $22.99 (they also have their own brand of mineral water which is really good for $20.99 per case)
A case of 6, 33 ounce cartons of coconut water is $25. The cartons are over $6 each everywhere else.

Their own brand stuff is excellent. You can walk out of there with a lot of stuff for a lot less than you might expect.
I typically buy:
Shredded lettuce for about $2.00 a bag
Butter lettuce which is about $2.29 per bag.
24 pouches of unsweetened apple sauce is $13.
24 ounce jar of smooth marinara sauce is $1.19 and is really good. I add a little chopped garlic.
They have a wonderful fat free parm italian dressing for $2.89 and a FF Honey Dijon for the same price.
Great organic stir fry sauces of various kinds for about $4.
Their canned veggies (14 ounce) are about $1.19.
Their boxes of pasta are about the same price as the canned veggies.

I have the yearly Instacart plan so there is no delivery fee and I pay only about a $5. service fee for a $100 order plus a nice tip for the shopper/delivery person.

People say their bakery department is the best there is but I'm not into cakes and breads and stuff so I can't speak to that. I definitely fill my pantry and freezer regularly from Wegmans and with all the other markets jacking up prices, my bills have barely gone up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City