Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 12:48 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Here is a recent article about the Wegmans location in Brooklyn...

"Brooklyn has a long and proud tradition of hostility to newcomers.

Two years ago, Eric Adams, then the Brooklyn Borough President, took a swipe at out-of-towners, suggesting they were the cause of escalating rents in the city’s gentrifying neighborhoods.

“Go back to Iowa,” Adams said. “You go back to Ohio. New York City belongs to the people that were here and made New York City what it is.”

And Adams was elected mayor of New York City.

So why would Wegmans, a Rochester supermarket chain, think it could come into Brooklyn and start selling − of all things − pizza to people who think they invented the slice?

Have they heard of L & B Spumoni Gardens? DiFara? Even Lenny and John’s, my old neighborhood place where you could get a slice at 2 a.m.?

Some chutzpah. What’s next? Bagels?

mod cut: copyright infringement

This is from the Wegmans and the World series in Gannett Newspapers: https://www.uticaod.com/in-depth/new...TICA-NLETTER01

Anyway, has anyone on the forum shopped at this location? How does it compare to other grocery stores in the neighborhood or city?

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-11-2023 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 01:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I like it a lot. I love going to grocery stores, and I think Wegmans are generally pretty good ones. This one's smaller than the usual behemoths, but it's still quite large for an urban grocery store. Their prepared foods for the most part aren't my cup of tea, especially the sushi, but the produce and seafood is pretty good in selection, quality and price.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:48 PM

1,060 posts, read 543,047 times
I liked it but I don't live near there so not planning to go again. I didn't think the pricing was so great - Trader Joes is much better.

After they open the Manhattan one I will go once but doubt I'll go a second time. Just want to see it once, that's all.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:02 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
This is hilarious... What person doesn't know what sparkling water is? Sounds like people that aren't used to eating good quality food and haven't traveled. I'll stick with Whole Foods. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:10 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
^I thought Whole Foods was called Whole Paycheck jokingly due to high prices, whereas Wegmans doesn’t have that reputation so much up here.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:35 AM

1,057 posts, read 546,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is hilarious... What person doesn't know what sparkling water is? Sounds like people that aren't used to eating good quality food and haven't traveled. I'll stick with Whole Foods. Thanks.
A poor person from the Fort Greene projects.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
A poor person from the Fort Greene projects.
A poor person couldn't afford to spend $500 on groceries though. I didn't get the impression that the Fort Green residents from the PJs were their main shoppers. I'm sure they get people that drive over from elsewhere. I had actually considered checking it out myself and I don't live anywhere nearby.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^I thought Whole Foods was called Whole Paycheck jokingly due to high prices, whereas Wegmans doesn’t have that reputation so much up here.
Whole Foods is a specialty store though. That's what people seem to forget. If you are going there just for staples, you will usually find that prices are actually better than what most other places charge and the quality is definitely much better. If you start dabbling in their specialty items, that's where it becomes expensive. They also have an array of 365 items that are actually pretty good. I initially refused to buy them, but they've grown on me as I researched some of their selections. Their California small batch olive oil is as good as the high-end Greek and Italian olive oils I buy and very reasonably priced too at just $8.99. Other olive oils easily come in at two or three times that and aren't nearly as flavorful. Wegman's is definitely no Whole Foods, even though the shopping experience is nice, but Whole Foods is in another category in terms of what one can find and the quality when they are on their game, that is shelves fully-stocked and everything fresh.

For example, I am all into shopping for local and organic products. Whole Foods makes a very concerted effort to seek out such vendors, but they also carry an array of high-end imported items from around the world. I had a mild cold several weeks ago and I wanted Italian honey for my tea. I knew I could find it in Whole Foods with no issue.... Expensive yes, but they had it.

I think of Wegman's as a sort of in-between supermarket chain. Nice enough, but not like a Citarella or a Fairway type of nice in terms of selection options.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-12-2023 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-12-2023, 09:54 AM

1,057 posts, read 546,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
A poor person couldn't afford to spend $500 on groceries though. I didn't get the impression that the Fort Green residents from the PJs were their main shoppers. I'm sure they get people that drive over from elsewhere. I had actually considered checking it out myself and I don't live anywhere nearby.
The article is gone now so I cannot check but the main point of the article I got was that the local project residents were using the store extensively and surprising the Wegman's execs because they were buying staples there. Also, I could swear that the sparkling water guy was one of the locally hired employees.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
The article is gone now so I cannot check but the main point of the article I got was that the local project residents were using the store extensively and surprising the Wegman's execs because they were buying staples there. Also, I could swear that the sparkling water guy was one of the locally hired employees.
That one lady that bought $500 worth of food for her family drove there, so she was not one of the local residents. Not sure about the guy raving about the pizza though. From what I heard, a number of people drive there from elsewhere. I cannot say what percentage of people that shop there are from Fort Greene, but the location IMO is not that conducive to going by foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City