Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 12:26 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,906,390 times

Advertisements

So I take it airport or onboard radar can't pick up a flock of geese? Geese are pretty substantial flying objects.

And...what? Swerve around them? Beep the horn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 04:48 AM

43,900 posts, read 44,680,981 times
I remember that incredible day and this miracle landing. But sadly for another NYer (a good friend of mine) it's the exact day that his mother died due to illness.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:57 AM

4,212 posts, read 4,128,943 times
I think pilots should be able to function faster than “normal human reaction time” in an emergency. The normal human reaction time for a person trying to hit a fastball is probably a lot longer than the reaction time for a major league baseball player which is why there are only a few people are in the major leagues. Same should be true for pilots with respect to reacting to flight events.

I think Sullenberger only flew for American one more time before retiring and that was with his co-pilot as a special reunion. He certainly deserves credit for the successful water landing.

Old 01-19-2023, 07:12 AM

107,229 posts, read 109,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think pilots should be able to function faster than “normal human reaction time” in an emergency. The normal human reaction time for a person trying to hit a fastball is probably a lot longer than the reaction time for a major league baseball player which is why there are only a few people are in the major leagues. Same should be true for pilots with respect to reacting to flight events.

I think Sullenberger only flew for American one more time before retiring and that was with his co-pilot as a special reunion. He certainly deserves credit for the successful water landing.
Depends

We are all better at the stuff we constantly deal with, train extensively for and do daily ..

We are no different at the stuff we don’t do on a regular basis in the same exact manner of circumstances.

One of the first things we learned in combat training is reaction time is way slower than action time .

Meaning in hand to hand up close situations , if you strike first no matter how much the opponent has seen in combat , they will never react as fast to the unexpected.

It has to be something you see regularly to develop a faster reaction time .

It needs to be burned in to muscle memory and play out exactly as experienced with no veering from what you did or other decisions to make, which certainly wasn’t the case with scully .

As a drummer I have much faster hands and fingers than most , but my hands only react well to the patterns I have done over and over and over.

I constantly have to learn from scratch all the beats ,rhythms and hand patterns I don’t use regularly.

There is a saying ,how we train is how we fight …..

But if circumstances are different then we trained , all bets are off

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-19-2023 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-19-2023, 08:40 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
I remember him saying that years of experience and making judgments all came down to that one moment.

I had taken the day off that day, so I didn't see the plane except on TV, but a couple of days later, someone I worked with sent the pics of the plane being removed from the water. He was on hand to witness it.

Another interesting note from that day was hearing the calls between the ferries that a plane was down in "the North River", an old Dutch maritime name for the Hudson still used by some who work the river in the NYC area.

The South River, by the way, was the Delaware.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:06 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,906,390 times
Mildly changing my semantics on this...I think people confuse "hero" with "Super Hero" (universe of your choice). In the every-day use of the word, from various sources - Sully does indeed meet the definition. You can disagree with the definition, of course, but that's on you - not him.

From Wiki: hero is a real person... who, in the face of danger, combats adversity through feats of ingenuity, courage, or strength.

Oxford:
a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities...

Brittanica:

a : a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities

Merriam:

c: a person admired for achievements and noble qualities

d: one who shows great courage

Safe to say, he at least merits the discussion in that context. What is "courage?" Doing what needs done in the face of fear or danger. I'd say he did that.

To downplay it and say, eh, his training kicked in...that's great. Lots of people are trained. A whole lotta them pee their pants when the real thing comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City