Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 07:42 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Few if any subway stations will equal 34th/Penn Station, GCT/42nd/Port Authority and West Fourth Street for homeless, zanies, bums, druggies, and other miscreants.

As for various subway lines/trains usually ones with longest runs such as IND Eighth Avenue (A,B,C,D & E trains) and BMT Broadway (N,Q,R and W).

Both Whitehall/South Ferry and Saint George on Staten Island are lousy with homeless, druggies, and so on. Largely because as public accommodations that are open 24/7 LE or anyone else cannot kick these people out. GCT, Penn Station and Port Authority do close for a while overnight which is only way they can get homeless out. The subway stations OTOH are another matter.

Took the ferry for first time in decades last year (friends from Europe wanted to see Statue of Liberty) and was amazed at what a sh*t fest both South Ferry and Saint George have become.
I think the IND 8th Ave lines have the unfortunate situation of passing through some of the most homeless filled stations on the Chelsea-Penn Station-Port authority corridor, and the Broadway lines also touch up on it via Times Square and Herald Square.

However, on the trains themselves I've always felt the J/Z carry the most mentally disturbed and aggressive passengers. The 2, 4, A, E, F and N host a lot of homeless but they usually keep quiet to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 08:38 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
34th St - Penn Station and 42nd Street PABT easily take the cake. Closely behind them are Grand Central-42nd, 34th - Herald Square, and of course West 4 and 14th-8Av in the junkie-loving neighborhood of Chelsea. Basically any large Manhattan station complex, especially on the West side along the Chelsea - Penn Station - Port Authority corridor.

Many of the Harlem stations are pretty bad too, although less so from bums and more from mentally disturbed people in general. Central Park North - 110th on the 2/3 is especially bad in this regard, there's always some crazy disturbed people shouting or acting strangely here. 125/Lexington and 125/St Nicholas are pretty bad too.
It's funny but I find Union Square not to be as bad as 14th St 8 Ave even though they're very close. I think it's because Union square is VERY loud. The tracks squeal is painful and this noise probably prevents people from sleeping on the benches or ground.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:21 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
It's funny but I find Union Square not to be as bad as 14th St 8 Ave even though they're very close. I think it's because Union square is VERY loud. The tracks squeal is painful and this noise probably prevents people from sleeping on the benches or ground.
Union Square isn't bad, especially the 4/5/6 platforms which are part of the original 1904 IRT subway and as such, it's very shallow (gets very cold and hot fast during the extreme seasons) and as you mention, LOUD because of the sharp curves. The platforms are narrow too.

14/8 is a typical overbuilt IND station, deeper with wider platforms and other more "modern" elements. It's literally a difference of 19th century vs 20th century between the two.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:30 AM

5,512 posts, read 7,105,557 times
bum juice cocktail lol.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 347 times
I would say 34th st hearald square and theb74th st and Roosevelt stations need to be poisoned. Maybe leave fake crack rocks that are laced with cyanide around. 4 years us I've seen the same bums. That I've tried to help, justbrepat themselves. The city doesn't give a fun, I'm really starting to not care either. They just waste space and smell. I've been homeless before and been through the system myself. I'm not ashamed to admit that. But there's a certain breed. Breed them out

Old 12-22-2023, 03:13 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Few if any subway stations will equal 34th/Penn Station, GCT/42nd/Port Authority and West Fourth Street for homeless, zanies, bums, druggies, and other miscreants.

As for various subway lines/trains usually ones with longest runs such as IND Eighth Avenue (A,B,C,D & E trains) and BMT Broadway (N,Q,R and W).

Both Whitehall/South Ferry and Saint George on Staten Island are lousy with homeless, druggies, and so on. Largely because as public accommodations that are open 24/7 LE or anyone else cannot kick these people out. GCT, Penn Station and Port Authority do close for a while overnight which is only way they can get homeless out. The subway stations OTOH are another matter.

Took the ferry for first time in decades last year (friends from Europe wanted to see Statue of Liberty) and was amazed at what a sh*t fest both South Ferry and Saint George have become.
I agree.

Old 12-22-2023, 03:14 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derailed83 View Post
I would say 34th st hearald square and theb74th st and Roosevelt stations need to be poisoned. Maybe leave fake crack rocks that are laced with cyanide around. 4 years us I've seen the same bums. That I've tried to help, justbrepat themselves. The city doesn't give a fun, I'm really starting to not care either. They just waste space and smell. I've been homeless before and been through the system myself. I'm not ashamed to admit that. But there's a certain breed. Breed them out
Quite a first post there

Old 12-27-2023, 07:42 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
It's that time of year and subways are getting hammered.

Have gone back to 1980's mode; scanning train as it pulls into station to find a homeless free car; that just doesn't often happen.

One or more cars have at least one or two bums littered or sprawled about. Sleeping, eating, talking to themselves, wandering up and down car as train is in motion.... Worse are the ones who bring those GD carts full of heaven only knows what with them.

Also am seeing (and smelling) more and more subway cars have recently been hosed or wiped down (strong smell of bleach). This one assumes to clean up after some bum and his or her mess.

Other day on "Q" half the train floor was covered in pi$$ (you could see starting point at rear door between cars).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City