Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 07:45 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times

Advertisements

A controversial new evidence law has led to big surges in the number of cases that prosecutors are being forced to drop across the Big Apple — fueling crime by putting suspected bad guys back on the streets without ever having to face justice, a new study obtained by The Post reveals.

The rate at which cases were dismissed citywide rose from 44% in 2019 — the year new “discovery” rules were adopted by state lawmakers — to 69% by mid-October 2021, the Manhattan Institute finds in the report, set for release Thursday.

For misdemeanor cases, the increase was even more dramatic, jumping from 49% to 82% during the same period, according to official data cited by the conservative think tank.

More:https://nypost.com/2023/01/19/new-st...YPMetroTwitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 06:59 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
An excerpt from this link:
“In New York City, adult felony arrests fell by 14% between 2019 and 2021,
while NYC shootings rose by 102% and murders rose by over 51%.”

Born, raised,worked and retired New Yorker.
Can you avoid becoming a NYC victim today ?
Honestly ? You really can't.
You can only minimize your chances of becoming a NYC victim of crime.

What does violence look like? In NYC it is a male between 16 and 24 years of age.
They account for 80% of all arrests, 92% of all murders. White males 49% and 57% for aggravated assault.
Juvenile Justice Statistics National Report Series Fact Sheet April 2022

I am of opinion since the relaxation of laws and the inclusion of Covid Lockdowns.
....Trends in violence will drop etc...and justice statistics will drop on paper
but any person I speak to today thinks otherwise.

So while politics hides behind their so called fact sheets we citizens must continue to protect ourselves.
What to look for...

It's a combination of body posture, the way a person carries him/herself alone or in a crowd.
Showing off in front of a Woman/girls or his friends. Women/girls intensify violence in any crowd.
Boys/ young men in this age range simply carry out their hormonal orders.
Young and restless they were once called. Today it's Antifa, BLM or simply kids run amok.
Add a Covid face mask and it became a free for all. A whole new world of self governing is employed
because of this 99 cent face shield. Can't arrest what you can't identify. In addition.. politicians.
Heck,if NYC can go as far as naming a Park after a gang of bad kids do you honestly think
that you the model citizen is of primary concern?

Avoid gatherings near public schools and places of business where young lings gather after school.
Be it a McDonalds, Bus or Train stop, bodega. Teenagers are self governing and fearless in crowds.

Avoid late hours and early am.
Every single person is suspect. It's hard to make out their face.
Crimes of opportunity belong to Satan and the evening belongs to him.

Accomplish everything during the day hours removed from this age group then retire to your home
lock your doors and monitor your Ring System.

and so goes another day living in NYC and it's Justice Reforms.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:06 AM

5,806 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Once our kids turned 3 and we started looking at schools around us, the decision to move and buy a house in the best school district we could possibly afford was made. Looking back, thank god we did it quickly.
I may not have a 5 car garage I always wanted and 6 acres, but kids are in great school district.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:23 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Does anyone have information in terms of crime from 2021 to 2022? I'm asking, because there appears to be conflicting reports perhaps based on month to month or comparable information based on a certain in relation to the past year. I know that crime rates are actually lower for the most part than a couple of decades ago: https://www.amny.com/news/crime-up-nyc-still-safer/ , but I was curious about the difference between 2021 and 2022, as the study in the article ends in 2021.

Also, I believe the rest of the state has seen an overall decline in crime rate as well from 2012-2021. https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...js-crime-stats

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-20-2023 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 08:39 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,150,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
A controversial new evidence law has led to big surges in the number of cases that prosecutors are being forced to drop across the Big Apple — fueling crime by putting suspected bad guys back on the streets without ever having to face justice, a new study obtained by The Post reveals.

The rate at which cases were dismissed citywide rose from 44% in 2019 — the year new “discovery” rules were adopted by state lawmakers — to 69% by mid-October 2021, the Manhattan Institute finds in the report, set for release Thursday.

For misdemeanor cases, the increase was even more dramatic, jumping from 49% to 82% during the same period, according to official data cited by the conservative think tank.

Just more proof that New York state is being intentionally turned over the the criminal class. But what is the endgame of the useless pro-criminal legislators? To push productive citizens of of the state, to create endless chaos? Or what?

Old 01-20-2023, 09:25 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Just more proof that New York state is being intentionally turned over the the criminal class. But what is the endgame of the useless pro-criminal legislators? To push productive citizens of of the state, to create endless chaos? Or what?
Long term? 20-30 years?
Breakdown US Society starting with the large cities.

These outside forces (China primarily) with the help of people like George Soros want to see the US fail and fall from the top rank to 2nd or 3rd tier.

Its already happening and if we don't stop it all soon, there will be no turning back.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:22 AM

5,806 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Quote:
Long term? 20-30 years?
Breakdown US Society starting with the large cities.

These outside forces (China primarily) with the help of people like George Soros want to see the US fail and fall from the top rank to 2nd or 3rd tier.

Its already happening and if we don't stop it all soon, there will be no turning back.
This is 100% correct.
And since the government is for sale through lobbyists, all this is possible.
I’m
Very surprised people don’t revolt and hold the officials accountable.

Old 01-20-2023, 05:57 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:

That is the most slanted, biased headlines I've seen in awhile, with the word "forcing." But about what I'd' expect from the slanted, biased, notoriously inaccurate NY Post.

As I understand it, prosecutors are required to be more responsible about evidence. Which is likely a good thing. If more cases are dropped, it would tend to mean that the case was weak or the prosecutors weren't acting properly.

Old 01-21-2023, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Once our kids turned 3 and we started looking at schools around us, the decision to move and buy a house in the best school district we could possibly afford was made. Looking back, thank god we did it quickly.
I may not have a 5 car garage I always wanted and 6 acres, but kids are in great school district.
Common sense is a gift.
God Bless.

Old 01-21-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does anyone have information in terms of crime from 2021 to 2022? I'm asking, because there appears to be conflicting reports perhaps based on month to month or comparable information based on a certain in relation to the past year. I know that crime rates are actually lower for the most part than a couple of decades ago: https://www.amny.com/news/crime-up-nyc-still-safer/ , but I was curious about the difference between 2021 and 2022, as the study in the article ends in 2021.

Also, I believe the rest of the state has seen an overall decline in crime rate as well from 2012-2021. https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...js-crime-stats

N.Y.C. is not located in the North Temperate Zone like most of Alaska.
New York City lies in a humid subtropical climate zone but the
Winter Blizzards of 1996,2006, 2010 could have easily fooled many.

My advice. Be careful.
I would reconsider the Covid Years as an anomaly on historical crime stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City