Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM

8 posts, read 12,950 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Boston to Nyc within the next several weeks. I got pretty much my dream job and they need me to start asap. They'll put me up in a hotel for a few weeks if I'm not moved in time. I'm male, 31 years old and single (just got out of a very serious relationship, which has tempered my excitement about moving and the new job if I'm being honest).

My budget, all in per month, for rent is $3500. I'll be working in midtown east in the upper 50s. I'm not big on bars/clubs so the main thing I'm looking for is a nice clean place that will have a decent commute. What are people's thoughts on these options: Long Island City nice 1bd at a newer no fee high rise building runs 2700-3100 depending on views finishes. (take the 7 line to grand cental and walk 10 mins north), hells kitchen - renting a condo unit for around 3000-3200 (walk to the port auth and take the E line), UES in the lower 60s - no fee high rise apt for 3500 (just walk to work).

I'll be working fairly long hours (7-8, hopefully not too much on the weekends) but would obviously want to start dating asap to help me get over my ex. I've been told LIC and Hells Kitchen will put off certain women but to be honest the type of person I'm looking for probably wouldn't care what area I lived in so this might act as a good filter anyway? I've heard various different things about dating and women in Boston vs. Nyc.

Any advice or thoughts is really appreciated. I've been to nyc many times for work but I'm excited and a little nervous about moving here for the first time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
You sound like you might be better off in Murray Hill.You will still be able to walk to work and not have to deal with the subway all the time if you don't want to and the rents are a lot less than the E 60's.Forget LIC and Hell's Kitchen.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM

111 posts, read 173,659 times
Congrats on your job, bro! For 3500, you can live in the UWS, Battery Park, and UES (in a luxury building also). Remember the NYC taxes, utilities, food, etc are insane. You should make an expense budget.

Try Meetup and couchsurfing to meet people and ladies.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM

221 posts, read 525,274 times
Get over your ex?

Hmmm...

move to SoHo. Plenty of nice women in that area. $3500 is a pretty good budget.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
That's a hard one--but I think walking to work every day would win out so I'd go with living in the East 60's. On those long days you will appreciate not having to get on the subway.

As to the other bit, I don't think you should date just to get over someone else. In fact, you may wish to concentrate on your friendships here for awhile until you get over her.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 PM

80 posts, read 308,177 times
In my college town, I used to follow the rule that no woman will want to walk more than a 1/4 mile back home with you before they start questioning whether they made the right choice.

In NYC, given the presence of cabs, that radius is a bit larger - but crossing a bridge out of Manhattan to LIC will probably be a common game killer. I'd recommend Murray Hill or West Village.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Dating wise most likely you will be dating out of town transplants instead of local nyc women of Italian, puerto rican, Irish, black American ancestry. Nyc women are nuerotic and crazy. Spend some time in the east village or meat packing district to find your mate. From my experiences transplant women are very turned off by certain areas of nyc. For example I tell these chicks I'm from the Bronx they quickly turn a blind eye but its worse among out of town chicks. To some chicks the idea of what neigbirhood a guy lives in says a lot about that person. Avoid nyc chicks due to baggage and nuerotic mentality. Check out Boston themed bars in murrary hill and the village. Good luck with money and getting laid. Watchout for hedge fund chicks.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 01-06-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
The dating scene outside of Manhattan is horrible in the city. Like Bxguy said, it's best to date Manhattan transplants.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 AM

8 posts, read 12,950 times
Thanks for all your advice guys. After spending yesterday looking at apartments, I'm leaning towards midtown on 8th ave in the upper 40s lower 50s. I know that area has a lot of tourists but like bluedog said I want to be able to walk to work most days and the e line takes me from here to work on days when it's raining/freezing. I'm guessing a lot of the places you all suggest are probably a little more ideal but i think this will work for a year while I explore.

Bxguy, why do you have to watch out for hedge fund chicks? I'm going to be starting at a hf myslf (although I'm far from the typical hf db), so I'm curiosity about hf chicks.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divot30 View Post
Thanks for all your advice guys. After spending yesterday looking at apartments, I'm leaning towards midtown on 8th ave in the upper 40s lower 50s. I know that area has a lot of tourists but like bluedog said I want to be able to walk to work most days and the e line takes me from here to work on days when it's raining/freezing. I'm guessing a lot of the places you all suggest are probably a little more ideal but i think this will work for a year while I explore.

Bxguy, why do you have to watch out for hedge fund chicks? I'm going to be starting at a hf myslf (although I'm far from the typical hf db), so I'm curiosity about hf chicks.

I know a couple of transplant chicks and that's the type of guys that they prefer to date. A guy with hedge fund is important to these girls, they are highly materialistic. Yo be honest op you askec the most imporaltant question on moving to a new place and dating. I too wanna move out of nyc and an important question for me will be dating and the quality and abundance of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: