Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 08:14 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
I heard it is the poorest congressional district in the U.S
Well, that, I could believe.. but poorest, period, no way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Well, that, I could believe.. but poorest period, no way.
poorest period?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
poorest period?
You know.. with no strings attached, just the poorest..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPBX View Post
The South Bronx is the poorest neighborhood in the country today, has the highest violent crime rates in the city, and still has plenty of the urban blight that you claim is missing, so why would he be dissapointed? As a matter of fact, the crime in the South Bronx is quite similar to that which you would find in some the worst sections of any other cities, even those that are considered to be much more "dangerous". You act as if they are rebuilding the entire South Bronx, which is far from true. Yes, the South Bronx has cleaned up a bit since the wild days of the 70's and 80's, but there are still plenty of run down buildings, vacant lots, boarded up windows for it to be a prime example of "urban blight".
It's not the "poorest neighborhood" in the country today. Highly doubtful. The Bronx has several wealthy sections, and many middle class areas. So, to say the Bronx is poor overall, is not accurate. The South Bronx might be poor, but take a look at the Appalachian areas of eastern KY, WV, parts of VA, and western OH. These are very poor areas. Also, many other states have overall tremendously poor counties outside of cities. I'd say the South Bronx is definitely up there poverty-wise, but by no means is it the #1 poorest place in the US. That might've been true in the 70s.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:40 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Well, that, I could believe.. but poorest, period, no way.
I dont think that areas of the appalachia and other similar towns have congressional districts.

Community District 1 in the Bronx which includes Mott Haven and Melrose which is the south Bronx in all its glory is indeed the poorest congressional district in the US.

Here is an essay which refers to it as such. Take it for whats it worth:

Current Events -- A Hope for One Dream-peace

The Bronx used to be the poorest urban county in the US but it is now 3rd poorest in the country. Maybe it still is the poorest.

In Manhattan, Poor Make 2¢ for Each Dollar to the Rich - New York Times (http://www.fiscalpolicy.org/SamRoberts4Sep05.htm - broken link)

Quote:
That finding, in an analysis conducted for The New York Times, dovetails with other new regional economic research, which identifies the Bronx as the poorest urban county in the country and suggests that the middle class in New York State is being depleted.

The Bronx, with a poverty rate of 30.6 percent, was outranked only by three border counties in Texas where living costs are lower.
The Bronx is still amazingly poor. Hunts Point in the Bronx has the highest violent crime rate in the city and it always has. This year the Bronx despite having the 2nd fewest amount of people in any borough has by far the most homicides. It is not as bad as before but to say it has cleaned up is false. In CD 1, most of the people live in projects and rely on public assistance.

Also there is still plenty of vacant lots to see.....Morris Heights still has a few (although stuff is being built)...and Morrisania/West Farms has a ton. And there are alot of boarded up buildings. Go through University in the 170's and tell me if you dont see boarded buildings. Thats from my own expriiences....I'm sure Mott Haven, Melrose and company have alot as well.

No its not the wasteland it once was. Nor is it the crime-haven it was. But things are far from rebuilt. With the cities highest crime and homicides rates aswell as the rampant widespread poverty still plauging the south Bronx...it is a long ways away from removing its infamous reputation.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I dont think that areas of the appalachia and other similar towns have congressional districts.

Community District 1 in the Bronx which includes Mott Haven and Melrose which is the south Bronx in all its glory is indeed the poorest congressional district in the US.

Here is an essay which refers to it as such. Take it for whats it worth:

Current Events -- A Hope for One Dream-peace

The Bronx used to be the poorest urban county in the US but it is now 3rd poorest in the country. Maybe it still is the poorest.

In Manhattan, Poor Make 2¢ for Each Dollar to the Rich - New York Times (http://www.fiscalpolicy.org/SamRoberts4Sep05.htm - broken link)

The Bronx is still amazingly poor. Hunts Point in the Bronx has the highest violent crime rate in the city and it always has. This year the Bronx despite having the 2nd fewest amount of people in any borough has by far the most homicides. It is not as bad as before but to say it has cleaned up is false. In CD 1, most of the people live in projects and rely on public assistance.

Also there is still plenty of vacant lots to see.....Morris Heights still has a few (although stuff is being built)...and Morrisania/West Farms has a ton. And there are alot of boarded up buildings. Go through University in the 170's and tell me if you dont see boarded buildings. Thats from my own expriiences....I'm sure Mott Haven, Melrose and company have alot as well.

No its not the wasteland it once was. Nor is it the crime-haven it was. But things are far from rebuilt. With the cities highest crime and homicides rates aswell as the rampant widespread poverty still plauging the south Bronx...it is a long ways away from removing its infamous reputation.
I know.. I meant, I can believe it's the poorest congressional district, but I can't ever believe that it's the poorest in the U.S.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Yeah, that seems hard to believe. What about the folks in Appalachia, or deep in Mississippi?
some of those communities in the Appalachians don't even have electric or running water. So I think you are right.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:02 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
The Bronx is poor, but it is by far better off than some of the rural areas in other parts of the country. If you look at a list of the poorest counties in the country I don't even think any areas in NYC are even in the top 100.

There are people living throughout areas in the south, Texas, and in the Midwest, that don't even have electricity.

South Bronx is the poorest congressional district which confuses me, b/c I thought there were many middle class people living in the South Bronx, but maybe not.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:51 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times
I swear evertime I come on this board every thread turns into Bronx crime and Bronx income BS. It cracks me up that some of you search for the statistics and dwell on the bad asspects of the Bronx when in all acctuality the Bronx isnt so bad. Sure its not the prettiest or safest boro essspecially hunts point and some of the west bronx but in my opinion its the best boro and if your not a complete idiot you'll be fine there. The only person on here that acctually brings positive words to the Bronx on here is Guywithacause , it seems the rest just get jollys off of stats and what precinct had x amount of murders last month , keep the Bronx talk positive for God sakes its the best boro, the other sh*t just gets annoying to read.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
I swear evertime I come on this board every thread turns into Bronx crime and Bronx income BS. It cracks me up that some of you search for the statistics and dwell on the bad asspects of the Bronx when in all acctuality the Bronx isnt so bad. Sure its not the prettiest or safest boro essspecially hunts point and some of the west bronx but in my opinion its the best boro and if your not a complete idiot you'll be fine there. The only person on here that acctually brings positive words to the Bronx on here is Guywithacause , it seems the rest just get jollys off of stats and what precinct had x amount of murders last month , keep the Bronx talk positive for God sakes its the best boro, the other sh*t just gets annoying to read.
lol it is what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City