Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 10:54 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

So we had one or two winter-like days so far for this entire winter… and right now I am sitting in a sun-heated car sweating in early February in NYC… unbelievable!… but I know my misery is you snow haters’ joy…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 04:38 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Sucks big time for a snow flake lover......

too warm to be NYC, to say the least. Time to move to Upstate soon.
The northeast is becoming like Virginia climate wise…thanks climate change.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:48 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
That might not be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
The northeast is becoming like Virginia climate wise…thanks climate change.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
I've been absolutely enjoying the snowlessness. If there's no snow in Feb there's a good chance we're not going to have any snow for the rest of the year and I'm all for that haha.
I'm with you. Snow in the City is a big "Bah, Humbug." Coming week will be downright Springlike.
I just hope the warm Winter doesn't usher in a broiling Summer with many 100-degree days.

Our reservoirs are at 93% capacity (more than average for this date) so the upstate system doesn't need any additional snowmelt. Occasional Spring rains are all that is needed to keep the system topped up.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-08-2023 at 05:17 AM..

Old 02-08-2023, 06:26 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Looks like the snowless days will continue as it's going to be in the 60's this weekend.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:17 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Snowless is just means a timing issue. We've got plenty of rain, this isn't like CA where they experience long term draught.

We got plenty of subfreezing temps and this is all predicted by the ocean current direction. So this isn't some climate change problem. Ocean current from the south brings warm air and north west jet stream is pushing the colder air more northward of the Appalachian mountain range which gives places upstate more snow and frigid temps.

As soon as the ocean currents change more easterly and not northeast then the artic jettream would win and we will be getting bumped by snow over and over.

It's all science.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:26 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
On average temperatures have been significantly above normal this winter. We had two short stretches of real cold. The rest had been fall like. The entirety of January, meaning every day, not the average for the month, was well above average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Snowless is just means a timing issue. We've got plenty of rain, this isn't like CA where they experience long term draught.

We got plenty of subfreezing temps and this is all predicted by the ocean current direction. So this isn't some climate change problem. Ocean current from the south brings warm air and north west jet stream is pushing the colder air more northward of the Appalachian mountain range which gives places upstate more snow and frigid temps.

As soon as the ocean currents change more easterly and not northeast then the artic jettream would win and we will be getting bumped by snow over and over.

It's all science.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:01 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
On average temperatures have been significantly above normal this winter. We had two short stretches of real cold. The rest had been fall like. The entirety of January, meaning every day, not the average for the month, was well above average.
Which is still very much in line with ocean current trend. Warm water pushing up the gulf to the northeast. Last summer, they were predicting the warm ocean current will hit Florida with devastating amount of hurricanes. They predicted atleast 21 named storms but failed. We're not close to perfect prediction of the weather or the climate.

Just slightly warm winter is still winter because we have the extreme days with freezing temps and last I check you need a winter jacket to go outside all throughout this winter. Not to mention this only applies to NYC. Where as upstate NY has gotten plenty of snow this winter.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:42 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

It's all science.
You remind me of Bill Murray in Groundhog Day during the scene when the old lady in the B&B makes a comment about the weather and Murray gives her a long, drawn out response.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
and right now I am sitting in a sun-heated car sweating in early February in NYC… unbelievable!
May I suggest opening your car's windows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City