Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 01:40 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I thought there were too many dog walkers and the pay was decreasing as a result of the supply. Apparently I need to research this as a side hustle as soon as I get up. I had given up on the idea...
IIRC from some news report people spend more on pet than child care in this country.

People often consider Fido like a child, thus you aren't going to break into dog walking/pet sitting easily. It's like child minding, people want to know something about the person before handing their pooch over.

As with many other things established pet walking or sitting businesses of all sorts usually have non-compete agreements to keep employees from poaching clients.

All this being said it is possible to hang out a sign and make some money dog walking. You'll have to hustle at first for clients, but if you're good word of mouth will bring more business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 02:26 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are so out of touch with reality. Almost 65% of households earn less than $100,000/yr. My ex-girlfriend earned $120k/yr+ living in Manhattan and that is plenty of money to do plenty of things with if you spend wisely of course. Hell with our salaries combined, we made more than some families I know that lived on the Upper West Side.

https://www.sportofmoney.com/average...ehold%20income.
I’m not out of touch. That is a normal standard salary for many people with professional careers - including blue collar workers in the union with experience. In fact, many people making that and more qualify for affordable housing lotteries which says a lot.

Now I’m not saying that one cannot live on a 100k salary - I’m simply saying that this figure is pretty standard for professionals. If you don’t believe me, look at what landlords are asking for rentals, take 40x the rent and calculate. Ask yourself, who can afford to live there, how much are they making and why can landlords ask for that much? The answer is that many people are indeed making 100k and much more than that.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:33 PM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I’m not out of touch. That is a normal standard salary for many people with professional careers - including blue collar workers in the union with experience. In fact, many people making that and more qualify for affordable housing lotteries which says a lot.

Now I’m not saying that one cannot live on a 100k salary - I’m simply saying that this figure is pretty standard for professionals. If you don’t believe me, look at what landlords are asking for rentals, take 40x the rent and calculate. Ask yourself, who can afford to live there, how much are they making and why can landlords ask for that much? The answer is that many people are indeed making 100k and much more than that.
I'm curious what the median income would be in NYC if you took out ALL people who have any kind of rent assistance, including NYCHA, section 8, and rent stabilized and controlled rents that are below market.

Then take out all people who have low "rent" due to home ownership, or living in their parents' homes, or inheriting grandparents' apartments etc.

basically I want to know the median income for all people who have the normal expense of paying a market rent.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:55 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I'm curious what the median income would be in NYC if you took out ALL people who have any kind of rent assistance, including NYCHA, section 8, and rent stabilized and controlled rents that are below market.

Then take out all people who have low "rent" due to home ownership, or living in their parents' homes, or inheriting grandparents' apartments etc.

basically I want to know the median income for all people who have the normal expense of paying a market rent.
My opinion

Manhattan $137,000
Brooklyn $85,000
Queens $90,000
The Bronx $70,000
Staten Island $88,000

Old 02-07-2023, 06:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
As-a-matter-of-fact, a good friend pays her dog walker $300 bucks a week to walk her dog 5 days, twice a day.
What kind of a dog does your good friend, Elon, have?

Old 02-07-2023, 03:52 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Services for the affluent have always been lucrative. I have some acquaintances that started a dog business in NYC right after 9/11 and they did extremely well.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:58 PM

Obviously there is money in dog walking/pet sitting/coaching/training or you wouldn't see so many doing it for a living or side hustle.

It once was just Brazilians (illegal or legal) but now it seems everyone and their mother is in on things. Older females that once did childminding to make money are now doing dog walking/pet sitting.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:33 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
So, if your good with dogs, understand their manners, and can handle a pack, you can make alot of money????

Dollar well earned, for the experience and willingness to walk and pick up poop. Like one of them jobs not everyone can/want to do. And probably all cash business!!!

Old 02-08-2023, 02:48 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
So, if your good with dogs, understand their manners, and can handle a pack, you can make alot of money????

Dollar well earned, for the experience and willingness to walk and pick up poop. Like one of them jobs not everyone can/want to do. And probably all cash business!!!
Strong probability it’s all cash or at least partial. I know someone who cooks for a family and who makes very good money doing so. The person asks to be paid half in cash and half by direct deposit. Of course, this type of cash-only luxury will end when money goes all digital which will be sooner than most people expect.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Strong probability it’s all cash or at least partial. I know someone who cooks for a family and who makes very good money doing so. The person asks to be paid half in cash and half by direct deposit. Of course, this type of cash-only luxury will end when money goes all digital which will be sooner than most people expect.
Lots of those people got their faces cracked when tried to apply for all the free covid money (as in unemployment), but couldn't prove income. Some of those who managed to get some of that money later on received letters saying had to pay it back because couldn't provide documentation backing up their so called "business".

On other side of things self employed persons who don't report income are only harming themselves down line. Each year without income reported gets a big fat zero when it comes to Social Security benefits. Way averages work good or significant amount of those zeros reduces benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: