Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:04 AM

106,773 posts, read 108,997,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Did she ever get back her security deposit?
yes , all of it as they couldnt keep any of it for her breaking the lease.

as big as the development is with 3,285 apartments , it was the first time someone used those laws to avoid the charges.

they couldnt believe that was a fact , so they consulted their legal counsel who said , yep , gotcha

so skilled attorneys know how to go about breaking contracts.

my son is a ruthless corporate attorney so he knows attorneys that are just tops in what they do .

some of these top guys can be absolutely ruthless in their tactics

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-19-2023 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 04:49 AM

43,702 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yes , all of it as they couldnt keep any of it for her breaking the lease.

as big as the development is with 3,285 apartments , it was the first time someone used those laws to avoid the charges.

they couldnt believe that was a fact , so they consulted their legal counsel who said , yep , gotcha

so skilled attorneys know how to go about breaking contracts.
Well it is good to know in case of need. I also presume that if someone is moving out of the area completely (either out of state or overseas) they aren't going to be running after that person for breaking a lease (except for the issue of the security deposit).

Old 02-20-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well it is good to know in case of need. I also presume that if someone is moving out of the area completely (either out of state or overseas) they aren't going to be running after that person for breaking a lease (except for the issue of the security deposit).
You never know…big mgmt companies generally are members of at least one reporting agency so they can effect your credit

Old 02-20-2023, 12:17 PM

43,702 posts, read 44,464,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You never know…big mgmt companies generally are members of at least one reporting agency so they can effect your credit
That would be a moot point for someone moving overseas permanently.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:19 AM

418 posts, read 232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There were several threads or posts on this subject over past several months, search function should bring them up.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ear-lease.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-question.html

Historically it always works out cheaper to take two year option. Also by historical records year to year increases tend to be close if same for at least two years. That is if things were 4% and 8% for one year, next vote would be same or close.

Another thing; for all intents and purposes RGB is largely controlled by the mayor. Under Bloomberg and Rudy G RGB voted in some of highest increases in recent memory. Then came Sam The Eagle who for nearly eight years forced RGB to dole out zero to nil increases.

https://www.curbed.com/2022/06/rent-...ation-why.html

Even though much of RGB under Adams has not changed, so far increases have been high and there is no talk of giving out zero increases again.

Thus anyone hoping by taking a one year renewal as a hedge bet against higher numbers down the line is playing against some strong odds.

So many didn't take that last 2.5% increase instead opting for "0" for six months then "1.5% for balance. Now those leases are up for renewal again and people are crying.
I'm one of those people who made the wrong choice at a high AMI no less. What I gleaned is if you're planning on staying put for a few years, do the two years. If you're a short timer, then it's roulette, but less painful at lower AMI's.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:38 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,741,767 times
With Adams being the establishment clown that he is, I expect another big hike this year. Unless you have reason to think you'll want to move in the near term, take the two-year. I did. The only reason I didn't take the two-year last time is because of pandemic uncertainty about whether I'd stay. I was right that (since I stayed) it would've been better to.

Old 02-22-2023, 06:30 AM

31,932 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
I'm one of those people who made the wrong choice at a high AMI no less. What I gleaned is if you're planning on staying put for a few years, do the two years. If you're a short timer, then it's roulette, but less painful at lower AMI's.
Several people I know took the two year renewal and are being hit with rent increases between $70 and $76 dollars per month. Suffice to say in hindsight most wish they had taken one year, but it's too late now.

It's the ones living in crappy RS units in old tenements or other buildings you want to feel sorry for; places that haven't had jack sh*t done to them in ten, twenty, thirty or more years.

Yes, a LL will paint an apartment as required by law if tenant requests, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

Even those living in renovated apartments aren't that much better off. Common areas are still same, issues with vermin, ancient HVAC systems, etc.. are all still same for entire building regardless.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 02-22-2023 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 10:41 AM

There are still some very nice buildings where the owners or developers were smart .

They piled on capital improvements over the years and now rents are close to destabilizing.

Both our building and the only other rental in bay terrace did that .

Pool, tennis courts , gate house entry , etc .

Rents will destabilize pretty soon

Old 02-22-2023, 11:32 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,102,448 times
Flip a Coin!

Old 02-28-2023, 07:42 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,741,767 times
There's no more luxury destabilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City