Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 12:35 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Thankfully we have "Karthick Ramakrishnan" to lecture us about the REAL cause of things, because my lying eyes were telling me that it was black men aged 15-25 mostly responsible for the "anti-Asian" violence. And you know how much they love Trump!

With a 1 in 30 chance of becoming a victim of violent crime
the envious ( regardless of color ) continue to point their fingers
at the successful as they, the useless eaters, are quietly being pushed
out of the city.

What can I say? Don't let the door hit you on the way out...............mouth breathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 01:21 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
How did the NYC anti-Asian violence disappear all of a sudden?
(quoting subject title) Media is de-emphasizing it since it does not fit the agenda.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:28 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,581 times
I do think that the Trump rhetoric has created a certain tendency for people to target Asians more purposefully.
It's not really relevant that it happens in NYC or other democratic oriented city. This is just coincidental because those are very large metropoles. Are we implying Asians are welcomed openly in Republican states? Probably not.

What matters is that at some point, it was an easy rhetoric that got into people's mind and they began rationalizing the hate. I look Asian and in recent years with COVID, I've had a guy come up in the subway train and try to hit me. Another guy threw a can to my dog I was walking with in the streets. Both times, it wasn't the end of the world but it wasn't great neither, and more importantly, it didn't happen to me before.

As others said, I'm sure the Asian hate thing is still happening, it's just less advertised.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:43 PM

813 posts, read 403,138 times
The usual suspects always try to deflect Trump's culpability. It wasn't just his repeated COVID incendiary rhetoric like "kung flu," but also bashing Elaine Chao with derogatory names and Governor Youngkin's name origin. It's all cumulative normalizing racism against and bullying of Asians.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hem-is-rising/

I would think it's still happening in NYC and other places but due to news cycles, something else moved to the top.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 02-20-2023 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-20-2023, 05:49 PM

427 posts, read 155,174 times
lmao yeah it was Trump and not because some black men of a certain age are just violent, and Asians tend to make soft targets. Those same black men are also victimizing whites, Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Hasidic Jews, and of course other blacks, but I don't see people hemming and hawing about that.

The left will really use every excuse in the book not to avoid uncomfortable realities; no wonder nothing gets better on their watch. According to your link, only 20% of actual Asians blame Trump.

Even if it was Trump's "rhetoric", why is it mostly black males doing the assaulting? Are they his foot soldiers now?

Old 02-20-2023, 05:59 PM

2,667 posts, read 1,189,012 times
I noticed it stopped too since Pelosi left.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:33 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Surely you don't expect anything in NYC to stay constant?

Since we've always had a substantial Asian population, maybe we've just incorporated them into the general population more than most cities.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:24 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
The usual suspects always try to deflect Trump's culpability. It wasn't just his repeated COVID incendiary rhetoric like "kung flu," but also bashing Elaine Chao with derogatory names and Governor Youngkin's name origin. It's all cumulative normalizing racism against and bullying of Asians.
I really don't think so. Most people assume that Asians cam to America for the same reason everyone else did and do not associate Asians in the U.S. with China's dystopia. The internment of Japanese occurred because of a President, FDR, who was maybe two notches above Hitler and one above Stalin in his bigotry. Overall, Asians have been quite skilled at weaving themselves into the fabric of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
lmao yeah it was Trump and not because some black men of a certain age are just violent, and Asians tend to make soft targets. Those same black men are also victimizing whites, Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Hasidic Jews, and of course other blacks, but I don't see people hemming and hawing about that.

The left will really use every excuse in the book not to avoid uncomfortable realities; no wonder nothing gets better on their watch. According to your link, only 20% of actual Asians blame Trump.

Even if it was Trump's "rhetoric", why is it mostly black males doing the assaulting? Are they his foot soldiers now?
Violence is an issue with certain minorities. They don't only focus on other groups; there is plenty of internal violence.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:43 PM

789 posts, read 487,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Haven’t heard or read any sad stories on this. Does it still happen but media ignores them, or have thugs have come to terms with Asians in NYC?

not much is happening so days are getting long and boring…
Oh it's happening, just not being reported. Within the 109/111 pcts Asians are being targeted for robbery, home invasion and car jackings every day. Just yesterday a Chinese woman was car jacked right on Sanford ave/CP blvd for her Mercedes. Multiple car jackings on and off the Clearview expressway over the last 6 months. Police believe it's an easy escape back to the Bronx and south to Jamaica. Bayside/Whitestone/Flushing being hit bard.

The perps are not fellow Asians or white.

As for Trump, calling out China and the city of Wuhan for letting a virus spread across the globe that killed millions, including likely family members/friends of many on this board, is not racism against Chinese Americans. No more than calling out Putin and Russia is racism against Russian Americans in Brooklyn.

And by the way, as China enters to Russia's defense in the Ukraine and is called out by Biden, which he already has, you can't continue to blame trump for local crime against Asians in places like Queens. Bunch of nonsene.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:42 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think a lot of it had to do with covid and Mr Trump's constantly calling it the China Virus or the Chinese Virus and also his propensity to blame China or The Chinese for a lot of our problems. Now that both covid and Mr Trump are fading away things have quieted down on that front. Maybe we will start bashing Russians now but it's much harder because they are not as easily identifiable on the streets and there aren't nearly as many of them.
Americans seem to have a need to have somebody to bash or bully at all times. It's like part of our dna. Drag queens and trannies are currently getting a lot of attention. They are fun to bash and easily identifiable but not enough of them to go around. Maybe the balloons will bring the Chinese back into focus. Chinese and Jew bashing seem to cycle in and out fairly frequently.
More like Black Lives Matter Inc. kept telling black people that Asians were white supremacists and so Asians were targeted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City