Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 12:54 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Nobody said it was solely because of him or that it totally went away with his fading away.
Even the report you sight says :
"Karthick Ramakrishnan, founder and director of demographic data and policy research nonprofit AAPI Data, told NBC Asian America that while the uptick cannot be entirely attributed to the Trump administration’s incendiary, racist rhetoric about the coronavirus, he believes former President Donald Trump’s wielding of the fact that the virus originated in China and repeated elevation of the “China virus” rhetoric did play a part in fostering hate."

The Chinese and Asians have always been and will always be the prime targets for attack. They are easily identifiable as "other", are totally different culturally, tend to be successful and tend to be smaller in stature. Bashing them started as soon as they started arriving in large numbers in the mid 1800's and has continued in waves ever since. All it takes is someone or some incident to light the match.

I went to a catholic grammar school in the 1950's and the nuns basically indoctrinated us to be anti asian. They called it the yellow peril and fed us all kinds of nonsense about Chinese authorities poking chop sticks into kid's ear drums and cutting their tongues...stuff like that. I think in the 1950's anti Asian hate was much more widespread than recently. Probably because we were just coming off of WW2 and because the communists wouldn't let the Catholic Church in China.

My point was that somebody or something else ( or both) will likely light the match again . We are just in a lull right now.
Ok and I wonder what it was like being there after the 9/11 and who they were being indoctrinated to hate and what it was like being a child in the Deep South during that time or earlier or living as an Anglo in Texas. I’m not surprised at all and what amazes me is people who act like it’s something new for Americans or the US. Yea, I wonder who they were indoctrinated to hate. Right. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 12:57 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Oh it's happening, just not being reported. Within the 109/111 pcts Asians are being targeted for robbery, home invasion and car jackings every day. Just yesterday a Chinese woman was car jacked right on Sanford ave/CP blvd for her Mercedes. Multiple car jackings on and off the Clearview expressway over the last 6 months. Police believe it's an easy escape back to the Bronx and south to Jamaica. Bayside/Whitestone/Flushing being hit bard.

The perps are not fellow Asians or white.

As for Trump, calling out China and the city of Wuhan for letting a virus spread across the globe that killed millions, including likely family members/friends of many on this board, is not racism against Chinese Americans. No more than calling out Putin and Russia is racism against Russian Americans in Brooklyn.

And by the way, as China enters to Russia's defense in the Ukraine and is called out by Biden, which he already has, you can't continue to blame trump for local crime against Asians in places like Queens. Bunch of nonsene.
I remember a home invasion in Queens reported on an Asian female and the suspects were clearly other Asians or Mexican or Central American. Prime time news by the way.

There’s a problem when you think a white person or asian could NEVER do it. A lot of these posters are also ignoring news from California and the west coast where a lot of attacks on Asians were perpetrated by white people.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:27 PM

2,443 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Yeah it just went away

NYPD makes 2 arrests in alleged anti-Asian hate crime in Queens

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...5hhTV5nDHiMdms

LOCAL NEWS
Caught on video: Vandals demolish Fish Village restaurant in Queens during Saturday night dinner

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...-night-dinner/

Old 03-07-2023, 10:03 PM

206 posts, read 98,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yeah it just went away

LOCAL NEWS
Caught on video: Vandals demolish Fish Village restaurant in Queens during Saturday night dinner

Wow.. I feel so bad for the owners of that restaurant. If there's one thing I'm starting to notice a lot is that the burbs are starting to have asian supermarkets. I'd say it won't be long before asians head for the burbs.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:50 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I remember a home invasion in Queens reported on an Asian female and the suspects were clearly other Asians or Mexican or Central American. Prime time news by the way.

There’s a problem when you think a white person or asian could NEVER do it. A lot of these posters are also ignoring news from California and the west coast where a lot of attacks on Asians were perpetrated by white people.
People are killed by lightning strikes as well. What’s your point? Why aren’t people being killed by lightning strikes mentioned as much as those killed by guns?

Old 03-08-2023, 09:51 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,030,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Yeah it just went away

LOCAL NEWS

That latter video is very strongly suggestive of an organized crime intimidation tactic. Why?

Several factors jump out:

A) The restaurant is on the 3rd floor of a commercial building. Thus, it is not easily accessible from the street level.

B) The perps were clearly organized and disciplined.
i) They did not say anything to each other or the patrons.
ii) They were dressed the same.
iii) They did not rob or assault the staff or patrons.
iv) They entered and left just as quickly as they came (<1 minute) with a clear mission to trash the place.

C) Conclusion? Chinese mafia extortion attempt for a protection racket to send a message. Same garbage tactics that the Italians used to do back in Little Italy.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:13 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
That restaurant "attack" wasnt anti-Asian hate crime. It's their own kind doing extortion intimidation for organized crime. Savages would be too disorganized and noisy (animal noises during the commotion) to pull that off. It was an order to destroy property and leave with no assaults on customers/owners.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:01 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
Wow.. I feel so bad for the owners of that restaurant. If there's one thing I'm starting to notice a lot is that the burbs are starting to have asian supermarkets. I'd say it won't be long before asians head for the burbs.
Scarsdale and Hartsdale all have large Asian populations. We have an H-Mart in Hartsdale/Greenburgh. They've come already. Funny, their neighborhoods aren't scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City