Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 06:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times

Advertisements

Make that $800,000 principal paid. I got carried away with the zero key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by username9938 View Post
about a handful of brand new condo options in Manhattan and Queens (long island city). been holding back from buying a place since rates are abysmal. I could buy anywhere in the country because I work remotely.

I do not have a family so don't really need a lot of space. if you could blow 800k anywhere in the country, would you still buy in NYC or would you look elsewhere?
A lot of people like big(really big) cities. A lot of those people think NYC is the best in that regard despite it's many flaws. And to a lot of all of the aforementioned people , $800,000 (or much much more) is a relative drop in the bucket.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in NYC who either work remotely or don't have to work at all and they choose lo live here when they could live anywhere in the world no matter what it costs. There are also hundreds of thousands of people of lesser means who make the same decision even though it involves sacrifices to live here.

If you have to think about it and pose the question on a forum like this the answer for you is probably no.

Also, for some reason , the vast majority of people on this forum seem to be either dissatisfied with their lives in NY or have already left NY because they were either dissatisfied or because they couldn't afford it so this probably isn't the place to ask. Then there are the people on here who have never lived in NY ( or maybe never even set foot in NY) who are here just to bash NY. So, it's pretty much a given what most of the answers will be here.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-26-2023 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-26-2023, 12:03 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Literally next to LIRR. Noisy and shaky when trains go by.

Old 02-26-2023, 02:03 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A lot of people like big(really big) cities. A lot of those people think NYC is the best in that regard despite it's many flaws. And to a lot of all of the aforementioned people , $800,000 (or much much more) is a relative drop in the bucket.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in NYC who either work remotely or don't have to work at all and they choose lo live here when they could live anywhere in the world no matter what it costs. There are also hundreds of thousands of people of lesser means who make the same decision even though it involves sacrifices to live here.

If you have to think about it and pose the question on a forum like this the answer for you is probably no.

Also, for some reason , the vast majority of people on this forum seem to be either dissatisfied with their lives in NY or have already left NY because they were either dissatisfied or because they couldn't afford it so this probably isn't the place to ask. Then there are the people on here who have never lived in NY ( or maybe never even set foot in NY) who are here just to bash NY. So, it's pretty much a given what most of the answers will be here.
I think this is the key. Folks who find $800k to be a drop in the bucket generally aren't buying small studios.

As to your latter point, anecdotally I've met few non-wealthy people who universally sing NYC's praises; even if they enjoy what NYC has to offer, the high expense associated with living in NYC has turned them against many things. While there are many things that the non-wealthy can like about NYC, many of them would also gladly leave if they could (and many are). I write all of this to say that I don't think the attitudes you find on this forum (and, to be sure, you have a wide range in opinion, from those who love NYC, those who love many things but not others, and those who can't stand what NYC has become) are out of the norm.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:06 AM

789 posts, read 487,901 times
Quote:
about a handful of brand new condo options in Manhattan and Queens (long island city). been holding back from buying a place since rates are abysmal. I could buy anywhere in the country because I work remotely.

I do not have a family so don't really need a lot of space. if you could blow 800k anywhere in the country, would you still buy in NYC or would you look elsewhere?
I guess it depends on your age and tolerance for crime. Most people born/raised in NYC/LI usually have their fill by their 40s and want to leave literally to greener pastures. In my case it's palm trees. I need palm trees in my life! I'm actually going to Vegas in April to look at condos. I'm hoping Vegas confirms what I think it is: fairly affordable, plenty to do and a bit slower pace than the 5 boroughs. Been there many times. Not a big gambler. Know lots of NYers who moved out there and love it. Just a 5 hr car drive to LA if you need a big city feel for a weekend or want the beaches.

But if you really need to try the NYC coop lifestyle, just make sure you're getting good advice on if that place will continue to raise in value. You can always flip it for a profit in 5 years and move on.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:16 AM

789 posts, read 487,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is a joke, right? Half a million to live next to the LIRR in one of the dirtiest areas of Flushing off Northern blvd? I know the area well. Grew up here. Used to be great. No more.

Also tell the OP that it's literally 99% Chinese living here. It might not bother you, but most people from other states/cities are shocked when they visit Flushing. They can't believe that such a foreign homogeneous Asian place like this exists in America. Maybe San Fran.

Not to mention that this area is turning into high crime really quick. Gun point robberies on the street, non stop home invasions and now car jackings. Especially along 162st. It's also a red light district full of dozens of Asian massage prostitution that attracts all sorts of nefarious outsiders.

Pass. Just head over to Bayside or Little Neck/Douglaston instead. But at that point, OP might as well move to Long Island.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:27 AM

5,828 posts, read 2,950,800 times
Anywhere along the river. Cold spring. 800 will get you a nice spread and you will still be close to this dump.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:42 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:

Any one can live anywhere in the city including the homeless.

It is your flow of income that determines if you sleep in a Brownstone, the back of a deli or a cardboard box.

Make sure your job is secure and pays very well.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:49 PM

1,059 posts, read 549,139 times
If you were going to drive out of the city for a weekend trip, which direction would you go? Selecta borough based on that.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:07 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
This is a joke, right? Half a million to live next to the LIRR in one of the dirtiest areas of Flushing off Northern blvd? I know the area well. Grew up here. Used to be great. No more.

Also tell the OP that it's literally 99% Chinese living here. It might not bother you, but most people from other states/cities are shocked when they visit Flushing. They can't believe that such a foreign homogeneous Asian place like this exists in America. Maybe San Fran.

Not to mention that this area is turning into high crime really quick. Gun point robberies on the street, non stop home invasions and now car jackings. Especially along 162st. It's also a red light district full of dozens of Asian massage prostitution that attracts all sorts of nefarious outsiders.

Pass. Just head over to Bayside or Little Neck/Douglaston instead. But at that point, OP might as well move to Long Island.
I lived over there up until 2012, so I guess I need pay a visit to see what's going on. I know that crime was going up in East Flushing due to a sharp influx of Central American immigrants but I'm guessing the pandemic accelerated that. In terms of being dirty, depot road is nowhere near as dirty as any part of downtown Flushing which actually had been cleaned dramatically over the years.

Compared to pre-2010 downtown Flushing is actually now cleaner than the UES. It actually has less dog sh** than UES/LIC combined.

Regarding the noise - Nowhere near the noise OP will suffer through in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: