Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2023, 08:51 PM

881 posts, read 616,059 times

Advertisements

Never could figure it out...asked a couple of drivers -- uh, "operators" -- and they didn't know, either!

'Cause drivers are allowed to be late (one driver I asked went on to tell me about his colleague who was always forty-five minutes late every single run) and they're even allowed to be early by two minutes ahead of schedule so what is there for a supervisor to actually supervise???

I've only ever interacted with a supervisor five times in over forty years of ridership, three of those times involving a disagreement with the driver -- like during the scamdemic when they were allowed to determine for themselves the maximum number of passengers on board () -- and they never seem interested, always claimed to not know anything because "they weren't there," et cetera.

So what do they actually do??? Like I said, it sure ain't keeping things on schedule; one of them even told me to not buy into the city's nonsense about being on time, that a few minutes don't matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 01:36 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Make work, fake jobs. The MTA has become a jobs program for uneducated “minorities” who would otherwise flip burgers for a living.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:33 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,860,239 times
When I was a kid there used to be a supervisors booth in
Ridgewood on Palmetto st where Myrtle ave and St.Nicholas ave met.
I would see the supervisor with his Clipboard in hand inspect every bus
and driver as they terminated. Take out of service if mechanical issues arose,
reassign and direct drivers to over/under compensate if more than or less than
ridership and on and on.

A fascinating job back then. Clueless if the title has been redefined or absorbed today.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
What Do Bus Supervisors Actually Do???
Fill out forms in TRIPLICATE.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Make work, fake jobs. The MTA has become a jobs program for uneducated “minorities” who would otherwise flip burgers for a living.

Actually, three of the five I've dealt with were white -- one was one of 'em blue-eyed redneck types, too.

The black gentleman was one of 'em "intelligent brothers," you could tell he was a college man and wore his uniform quite sharply. Young debonair dude straight outta Central Casting!

The other non-white looked like an Indo-Pak guy, not as young but younger than the white guys.

I gotta say, it was the whites that seemed like old-timey union sit-around types. The non-whites, I still don't know what it is any of 'em actually do (since like I'd said drivers can be late as they want and even a bit early, too), but it was actually the white guys that looked like they were ready to retire!

But yeah, there is the feeling of make work/fake jobs, as you'd put it. You know when they run them shuttle buses 'cause MTA is messin' wit' the trains again?? Look for the bus supervisor on duty -- all he does is tell the drivers when to drive off...which they know perfectly when to do (i.e., bus is full!) when the supervisor's not around!

Old 03-02-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
When I was a kid there used to be a supervisors booth in
Ridgewood on Palmetto st where Myrtle ave and St.Nicholas ave met.
I would see the supervisor with his Clipboard in hand inspect every bus
and driver as they terminated. Take out of service if mechanical issues arose,
reassign and direct drivers to over/under compensate if more than or less than
ridership and on and on.
Yeah I see some with electronic tablets now, but I've never seen them do anything than chat with a driver for a few seconds. What you describe sounds reasonable enough but nothing that sounds hard at all...could it be the plumiest job in the entire civil service??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
A fascinating job back then. Clueless if the title has been redefined or absorbed today.
I'd bet it's still the same; wonder what the ratio is to drivers since the supervisors not at a terminus seem to gave cars that they drive around, checking up presumably.

But they're probably all former drivers themselves so how tough could they possibly be??? And how many are on duty overnight when the buses seem to follow no schedule at all?????

Old 03-02-2023, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Fill out forms in TRIPLICATE.

LOL classic!!

Old 03-03-2023, 03:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Actually, three of the five I've dealt with were white -- one was one of 'em blue-eyed redneck types, too.

The black gentleman was one of 'em "intelligent brothers," you could tell he was a college man and wore his uniform quite sharply. Young debonair dude straight outta Central Casting!

The other non-white looked like an Indo-Pak guy, not as young but younger than the white guys.

I gotta say, it was the whites that seemed like old-timey union sit-around types. The non-whites, I still don't know what it is any of 'em actually do (since like I'd said drivers can be late as they want and even a bit early, too), but it was actually the white guys that looked like they were ready to retire!

But yeah, there is the feeling of make work/fake jobs, as you'd put it. You know when they run them shuttle buses 'cause MTA is messin' wit' the trains again?? Look for the bus supervisor on duty -- all he does is tell the drivers when to drive off...which they know perfectly when to do (i.e., bus is full!) when the supervisor's not around!
Of course there were make work, fake jobs back when the MTA was mostly white too. However, I don't think it was actual policy.

As MTA headcount has exploded over the last few decades (and with it the budget), it's clear there's an explicit POLITICAL policy of using the MTA as a jobs program. Along with many other city agencies.

Around 15 years ago, an.older Guyanese acquaintance (Indian descent) I used to know due to a summer warehouse job, went to take some test for a.city job. He walks into the room and is told by others there "what are you doing here. This job ain't for you. These are our jobs".

Anybody who thinks that city jobs aren't being used as political tools is a clown.or an idiot.

Of course, certain city jobs were dominated by specific ethnic groups back in the day as well but what's changed is the SCALE and quality of service. The number of city jobs has exploded over the past 2 decades and the output taxpayers get in return has plummeted.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:51 PM

206 posts, read 294,537 times
Theyre "allowed" to be late because some of the schedules they have are impossible to be on time for. Entire routes are continuously ****ed up because of traffic. The dispatchers job is to fix that. The good ones do, the lazy ones dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City