U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 PM

442 posts, read 754,996 times

Advertisements

How are they? Is it nice/well-maintained/safe? I'm looking around North Queens and checking some buildings out. I've heard that it's a project for the middle-class but don't know anything about them other than that. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,504,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
How are they? Is it nice/well-maintained/safe? I'm looking around North Queens and checking some buildings out. I've heard that it's a project for the middle-class but don't know anything about them other than that. Thanks.
It used to be only for union members ( forgot which one), if it is open to the public, it really isn't in a great location, far from subways and on busy roads

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM

29,122 posts, read 41,882,728 times
i cant speak for the inside of the buildings but the exterior grounds always seem well-maintained.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,649,188 times
I used to go there ten years ago.. I know, a lot could change in that time, but at that time, they were very well inside.. it just seemed like a huge apartment building, not a project of any sort at all.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM

643 posts, read 1,890,513 times
the original poster beat me to it, i see those all the time on the ride back from the city on the express bus and have wondered about them also.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 87,462 times
Default big six tower at queens new york

I heard its nice apartment for middle class people. but hard to get in.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM

its nice apartment.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 PM

1,810 posts, read 6,767,280 times
They have their own private security. It is very safe in and outside the complex. I don't think it is far from the subway at all. Just 2 1/2 blocks away from 61st/Roosevelt Ave subway. As a kid I played baseball at Bush Park which is right across from the Big 6. Those apartments have great views of the Manhattan skyline.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 29,119 times
I grew up there. Yes, very safe inside and out. The roads are not busy except for queens boulevard which always will be. Some apartments have a pretty good view of the Manhattan skyline. They do have private security, from Public Safety Department. The waiting list takes a few years, it took us five years back in 1991. The price is decent for a coop in New York City because the cost is subsidized by Housing Preservation and Development (HPD). The maintenance is also decent, as of now I believe it's 900/month for a 3 bedroom, 700 for 2 bedroom, 500 for 1 bedroom? I could be wrong, so check that out before getting excited. The walk to the train is about 5-6 blocks, not really 2 and a half...There's also the Q60 right on Queens Boulevard which can take you to the 7 train at 46th street if you can't walk far. There is a big park right across the street and two nice playgrounds inside the co-op. There are parking lots also, but you have to pay about 50 a month to rent a space. Parking is rough around there so those really help. A shopping center behind the complex has a Key Food, a gym that gives discounts to residents of the Big Six, pizza place, Chinese Food, Shoemaker, Dry Cleaning, Unisex salon, Child Center of NY office...Buildings are very well-kept inside. Security cameras show the lobby that you can access on your television. Laundry rooms have new machines that aren't the best, but they aren't expensive.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM

thank you very much for information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City