Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:30 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,960,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
The zoning laws were changed in the area about 15 or so years ago, that's when the McMansions started to go up. Prior to that, basically all you could buy were single family homes. There are still families here and there buying the few brick single family homes that can't be knocked down (like on my street), but far and few. No one's crying over spilled milk. The decline has been going on for a long time. Us long time locals are just waiting for the right time to cash out (ex: family reasons, work, retirement, market). 4 houses for sale on my street alone. All going for $1M+.

Yes. Whitestone Village is what we call 14th ave/149st. The 3 or 4 blocks of store fronts. Been called the village from day one.
Agreed on all counts and Whitestone village is indeed that area.

Anyone buying a place for $1M+ must have a plan for the property and it's usually a combination of tear down/multi rebuild, packing in family members/tenants or using the property as an investment vehicle to park overseas cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 08:34 AM

188 posts, read 61,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
The relative decline is due to population growth, burdened infrastructure, proliferation of higher density housing, and due to the desirability of the area to some, significant increases in property values leading to increased rental, multi-generational living arrangements.
Population growth is associated with an area that is popular. I guess your car infested Florida must be in decline too now since so many people want to live there. The same deal with increase in property values near the train stations versus near the highways

Ever since more Asians came to the area, the school K-12 has gotten tremendously better. In the 1980s the schools and essentially the area had a semi white trash feel to it with many of the parents never even traveling with their kids outside the USA.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesfitlatinas View Post
Population growth is associated with an area that is popular. I guess your car infested Florida must be in decline too now since so many people want to live there. The same deal with increase in property values near the train stations versus near the highways

Ever since more Asians came to the area, the school K-12 has gotten tremendously better. In the 1980s the schools and essentially the area had a semi white trash feel to it with many of the parents never even traveling with their kids outside the USA.
First off, you need to check yourself, I have no association with "car infested Florida" and can't comment on what's going on there.

Secondly, you are a racist who has no clue about school districts. Public School District 26 was regularly one of the top school districts in NYC. Asians have absolutely helped with the high achieving stats but to call the area semi-white trash shows your ignorance not mine.

I'm perfectly fine to see the area being popular, because it'll translate into higher property values when cashing out. No regrets there.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
First off, you need to check yourself, I have no association with "car infested Florida" and can't comment on what's going on there.

Secondly, you are a racist who has no clue about school districts. Public School District 26 was regularly one of the top school districts in NYC. Asians have absolutely helped with the high achieving stats but to call the area semi-white trash shows your ignorance not mine.

I'm perfectly fine to see the area being popular, because it'll translate into higher property values when cashing out. No regrets there.
First of all, you said population growth was the reason for decline. Population growth in an area means the area is popular.

Not a racist but a realist. In the 1980s District 26 was good in comparison to say District 19. Let's not kid ourselves and think that District 26 was some Bronx Science or Stuyvesant. With the Asians in the area, it will push it towards that direction and since the property values are high it will keep the garbage out.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
First of all, you said population growth was the reason for decline. Population growth in an area means the area is popular.
I think your reading comprehension is failing you. If you had actually read my message it's a relative decline if you like the suburb in the city model, which means that with additional population, congestion, it's less of a suburban model. So if you like that model then it's a relative decline, if you don't, then it isn't. If you are going to comment on what I wrote then read the entire post for context rather than cherry picking a sentence.

Quote:
Not a racist but a realist. In the 1980s District 26 was good in comparison to say District 19. Let's not kid ourselves and think that District 26 was some Bronx Science or Stuyvesant. With the Asians in the area, it will push it towards that direction and since the property values are high it will keep the garbage out.
It's nice that you see yourself as a realist but your words don't match the reality. District 26 is K-12 school district so comparing it to Specialized High Schools is not a like kind comparison. You can't compare high schools with a school district that has elementary, junior high, and high schools. As for how good District 26 was in the past, all you need to look at is the famous alumni list. In fact, District 26 being a stellar school district is one of the reasons why many Asian-American families purchased properties in the area.

Since you injected race into this: Please let us know what you mean by the bolded sentence above? What is the garbage that Asians are keeping out? What groups or races are you talking about here?

Old 07-12-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I think your reading comprehension is failing you. If you had actually read my message it's a relative decline if you like the suburb in the city model, which means that with additional population, congestion, it's less of a suburban model. So if you like that model then it's a relative decline, if you don't, then it isn't. If you are going to comment on what I wrote then read the entire post for context rather than cherry picking a sentence.

It's nice that you see yourself as a realist but your words don't match the reality. District 26 is K-12 school district so comparing it to Specialized High Schools is not a like kind comparison. You can't compare high schools with a school district that has elementary, junior high, and high schools. As for how good District 26 was in the past, all you need to look at is the famous alumni list. In fact, District 26 being a stellar school district is one of the reasons why many Asian-American families purchased properties in the area.

Since you injected race into this: Please let us know what you mean by the bolded sentence above? What is the garbage that Asians are keeping out? What groups or races are you talking about here?
The suburb in the city is a different model from a traditional suburb. A suburb within a city has a mix of housing types from single family homes, multi family homes, and apartment buildings. That area of Queens always had those elements since 1930s. You act like they just emerged only in the last twenty years. So that area of Queens became popular because it allows for a different type of housing that suits individual needs and at the same time provide some limited transit into Manhattan via the LIRR.

As for school, you are comparing District 26 which by all measurements was crap next to specialized schools and is at best on the same tier as mid level schools in Nassau and Westchester Counties. In the 1980s and into the early 1990s there was a decline until more Asians started moving in there. Their motivation to move in had nothing to do with schools but many had extended families and the homes allow for extra space. In their culture they don't kick out their parents like white people with the exception of some Italians, Greeks, and some of the Slavic groups.

In terms of keeping trash out, I am referring to the low level trash type people. It includes those that where wife beaters and those that wear sagging pants. People that dress like that you never want in your area regardless of their skin color.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:39 PM

1,430 posts, read 731,651 times
District 26 schools, although still the best among NYC public schools, have gone downhill over the past decade. Cardozo use to be in the top 10 in the whole country, now I don't even think it's top 100.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
District 26 schools, although still the best among NYC public schools, have gone downhill over the past decade. Cardozo use to be in the top 10 in the whole country, now I don't even think it's top 100.
Test scores say different. Maybe it went downhill cause your family is not bright enough to attend those schools.

Old 07-12-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The suburb in the city is a different model from a traditional suburb. A suburb within a city has a mix of housing types from single family homes, multi family homes, and apartment buildings. That area of Queens always had those elements since 1930s. You act like they just emerged only in the last twenty years. So that area of Queens became popular because it allows for a different type of housing that suits individual needs and at the same time provide some limited transit into Manhattan via the LIRR.
Now your moving the goal posts. No one was questioning the existence of a single, multi-family and apartment buildings since 1930s -- the point that I was making is that when the ratio of single family homes is declining vis-a-vis multis, apartment buildings coupled with more occupants in some of those single family homes leads to higher population, strain on infrastructure (more cars parked on the street, more, trash, water/sewer usage etc.) -- if you don't like that then it's a relative decline. If you like it, then it's fine and preferred. Not sure how this is still confusing to you?

Quote:
As for school, you are comparing District 26 which by all measurements was crap next to specialized schools and is at best on the same tier as mid level schools in Nassau and Westchester Counties. In the 1980s and into the early 1990s there was a decline until more Asians started moving in there. Their motivation to move in had nothing to do with schools but many had extended families and the homes allow for extra space. In their culture they don't kick out their parents like white people with the exception of some Italians, Greeks, and some of the Slavic groups.

In terms of keeping trash out, I am referring to the low level trash type people. It includes those that where wife beaters and those that wear sagging pants. People that dress like that you never want in your area regardless of their skin color.
Again you have a false dichotomy of comparing specialized HIGH SCHOOLS to a district that serves K-12. It might be surprising to you but many parents choose to have their kids in elementary schools and then send them to private schools in junior or high schools. However since you want to stubbornly argue the point, let's compare the famous alumni of Cardozo, Bayside and Francis Lewis High School from the time period before 1980s (so 1980s, 1970s, 1960s etc.) to the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s -- you'll see the difference, go ahead and google away.

To further breakdown this down on a high school level -- you made the claim District 26 Schools are at best on the same tier as mid level schools in Nassau and Westchester counties -- fine, then District 26 was still a top performing district within New York City. The deal for many parents was to move/live in District 26 pay City property taxes (which were a lot lower than Nassau/Westchester taxes at that time) and still have their kids go to good schools.

Not only are you a racist but also a coward too. You had no trouble calling the district semi white trash yet afraid to name "wife beaters and those wear sagging pants" people. Right so much for being a realist. Tell me, why did Asians move into formerly white neighborhoods and not some great communities in southeast Queens like Rosedale, Laurelton, St. Albans? Where there was a similarly beautiful housing stock, with African and Caribbean-American populations that were well educated and at one time African American family income exceeded White-American family income in Queens largely due those people living in Southeast Queens.

Last edited by New Englander; 07-12-2023 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-12-2023, 02:43 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,409,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Were basically suburban, mostly serious crime free hoods up until the early 2000s. The eastern part of the 109pct (based in Flushing) and the 111pct (based in Bayside) were long considered the safest or quietest in the city. Relatively speaking, of course. We all know crime can happen anywhere in any borough at any time.

While the home property values have continued to rise substantially, mostly due to foreign born Chinese buyers/investors, the quality of life has been on a slow decline for many years now. Not so much compared to other parts of the city but rather compared to the area pre 2000s.

Most long time residents that still live here, like myself, will agree congestion and over crowding has become the biggest issue. Quite simply, when you buy a single family home, knock it down and build a 4 or 5 mutil family "mansion"in its place for purposes of renting it out as an investor, the DNA of the neighborhood changes.

So there's been a huge influx of people, mostly renters. And along with that, especially the last 5 years, has come illegal massage parlors offering prostitution, illegal weed shops, 24/7 delicatessens, crowded schools, etc. Passing thru Whitestone village after midnight is now akin to a crowded street in the South Bronx! Whereas years ago you could hear a pin drop.

Finally, the crime. This area never had the type of crime it's experiencing nowadays. Car jackings, 7/11 robberies, drive by gun point robberies walking your dog, etc, etc.
I can guarantee you Flushing was a much more crime ridden area in the 90s. Madness comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City