Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 08:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That's some Christmas card!

For those wondering the chick in gold dress with lots of cleavage showing is JC's only child and heiress Andrea Catsimatidis

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-politics.html

Believe it or not the woman is chair of NYC republican party. No wonder GOP is effing dead in NYC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Catsimatidis
Yikes, total nepo baby. Is there a Republican elected official anywhere in Manhattan? I can't think of one.

Between this and NYYRC inviting a bunch of far right provocateurs, no wonder the GOP brand is tarnished in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2023, 10:21 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
people still shop at gristedes? what? breaking news to me

Old 07-05-2023, 10:31 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
people still shop at gristedes? what? breaking news to me
It’s a proximity thing for me.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:47 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
It’s a proximity thing for me.
99.9% of time that nails it for most. Often Gristedes or a DAG is only supermarket close (usually because they've been in same location since God made dirt and spit), so a convenient place in nabe.

Usually avoid Grosstedes like the plague, but sometimes you're passing, just need a few things and don't feel like going out of your way.

Gristedes is one of few places that has frozen collard greens and kale, so there's that anyway.

Old 07-05-2023, 03:50 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Gristedes quality has gone way down. This isn't a surprise that they're closing.

Would be good to see a Trader Joe's go in that spot.

Closest one is on 59th street. None on the UES yet.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:29 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
gristedes quality has gone way down. This isn't a surprise that they're closing.

Would be good to see a trader joe's go in that spot.
+1

Old 07-06-2023, 02:05 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Gristedes quality has gone way down. This isn't a surprise that they're closing.

Would be good to see a Trader Joe's go in that spot.

Closest one is on 59th street. None on the UES yet.
Gristedes had no say in matter; building gave them the boot due to redevelopment plans for space. That store actually did pretty good numbers, as it did when was Food Emporium. In both instances it is (was) the only supermarket in that part of UES. Well there's DAG around corner on Lexington one block north, but that store is smaller, more cramped and DAG had gone way downhill to point was nearly going to file for bankruptcy and shut. Red Apple Group (who own Gristedes) stepped in and made major investment then subsequently buying entire thing from DAG family who ran the place into ground.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/03/dagost...hain-shake-up/

There used to be a huge Gristedes on 86th between First and Second that was open 24/7. Shut down years ago due to half that block being bought up for redevelopment.

Went in there late one night (it was only thing open) and upon walking down meat aisle saw a huge rat behind counter jump down and scurry away. That was it for me; but basket down and never bothered again.

Rodents aside that Gristedes on 86th did good business. Again it was the only supermarket in that part of Yorkville until C-Town opened several blocks north.

Old 07-06-2023, 04:21 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
John Catsimatidis's money is probably one of if not only thing keeping that supermarket chain alive.

Profit margins on supermarkets aren't that great, this especially in a high CODB area like NYC. Then you have all new competition such as online (Fresh Direct, Amazon....) and new supermarket chains such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe's...). Then also pile on places such as CVS, Duane Reade, Target, et al who sell groceries among other things.

Keep in mind latter stores are all non-union, whereas virtually all old school supermarkets (DAG, Gristedes, Morton Williams...) are union.

John Catsimatidis's money
Most likely and there is nothing wrong with that.
It takes courage to invest in risky times like this
and those that do and turn the investment into
something better for the neighborhood earn my
respect and approval.

Old 07-06-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Gristedes had no say in matter; building gave them the boot due to redevelopment plans for space. That store actually did pretty good numbers, as it did when was Food Emporium. In both instances it is (was) the only supermarket in that part of UES. Well there's DAG around corner on Lexington one block north, but that store is smaller, more cramped and DAG had gone way downhill to point was nearly going to file for bankruptcy and shut. Red Apple Group (who own Gristedes) stepped in and made major investment then subsequently buying entire thing from DAG family who ran the place into ground.

https://nypost.com/2021/06/03/dagost...hain-shake-up/

There used to be a huge Gristedes on 86th between First and Second that was open 24/7. Shut down years ago due to half that block being bought up for redevelopment.

Went in there late one night (it was only thing open) and upon walking down meat aisle saw a huge rat behind counter jump down and scurry away. That was it for me; but basket down and never bothered again.

Rodents aside that Gristedes on 86th did good business. Again it was the only supermarket in that part of Yorkville until C-Town opened several blocks north.
Ah! Would be awesome if a TJ's does go into that spot once redevelopment happens.

I've never been a Gristedes fan, but I guess it isn't the worst. The "worst" overall, in my opinion, goes to C-Town, usually. LOL

Old 07-06-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
+1
I could see that happening.

A prime location for one to locate in, and one of the more logical spots left for a TJ's locate in, at least for Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: