Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2023, 02:05 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
The thing is it's extremely hard to get someone even decent to back up a star like Rodgers unless you draft them and we all know how well the Jets have done at drafting QBs.
Given Roger's age, it might have been easier, given that the starting job would likely be open within two seasons.
Quote:

I'm not sure why you were skeptical.With AR they have a decent chance to win a Superbowl (probably 10-15 percent a year) for 2-3 years.
Without him they have none.
Age. I'm sorry, Tom Brady not withstanding, 39 is old in football player years. If he didn't get injured, he MIGHT have had one good year left. I doubt he had two.

Back before the AR deal got done, there was another significantly younger QB they were also considering. I forgot who it was. Another team ended up signing him before the Jets completed the deal with Green Bay. At the time I thought he would have been a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 04:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are lots of bad QBs out there, and really very few good ones. Jones turned to glass because the Giants O-line is terrible, and has been for years, going back to the end of Manning's tenure. A QB can only get pounded so much before they break. Anyone they stick behind that O-line is going to have the same problem (see Tyrod Taylor.)

As far as the Jets, I was skeptical of the whole Aaron Rogers experiment from the beginning. If you bring in some that old, you have to know there's a likelihood your backup is going to be starting at some point. They were hoping that under Rogers tutelage, Wilson might learn how to actually be a QB. That didn't work out for a few reasons (as my Wilson as Rogers injury.) But once they made the maximal effort to bring in Rogers, they were basically stuck with Wilson as his backup, because they probably didn't have the juice to go out and get a young QB with promise to bring up behind Rogers. So here they are. It's going into week 10. The trade deadline is passed. No QB who's on the couch right now could come in and be ready in a timely fashion and replace Wilson who could lkely do any better. So they're stuck with Wilson at least through the end of this season. And who knows what they'll be in a position to do going into next season?
Mike White was a decent backup and he showed promise. They shouldn't have let him walk away to the Dolphins as he knew the Jets system and could have done much better than Wilson, if healthy.

Regardless of how bad the O-Line looked yesterday there were many careless errors made by Wilson. I saw the whole game and he just does not know how to get rid of the ball. His scrambling abilities are poor. He cannot read a defense. He is a low IQ quarterback. Tyrod Taylor would have won that game for the Jets yesterday.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:45 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
Quote:
Given Roger's age, it might have been easier, given that the starting job would likely be open within two seasons.

Age. I'm sorry, Tom Brady not withstanding, 39 is old in football player years. If he didn't get injured, he MIGHT have had one good year left. I doubt he had two.

Back before the AR deal got done, there was another significantly younger QB they were also considering. I forgot who it was. Another team ended up signing him before the Jets completed the deal with Green Bay. At the time I thought he would have been a better choice.
The Jets haven't had a good QB in 50 years. Passing on Rodgers for some middling QB would have made no sense.
You forgot who the other QB was bc while I'm sure he's better than Wilson it was nobody of any significance.

39 is old in football years but we've seen other players besides Brady still be great QBs at 39-40.

This is a team that wasted the #2 pick on Wilson. We don't need to pretend they were going to find some diamond in the rough.

Id rather them swing for the fences and actually try to win a Superbowl rather than playing it safe just trying to be an above average team.

The risk of Rodgers getting hurt also isn't that much higher than whatever average at best QB they could have maybe found. The got the worst case outcome but nobody can see the future. We've seen tons of QBs get hurt this year. And most of them aren't anywhere near 39.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:02 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
There are lots of bad QBs out there, and really very few good ones. Jones turned to glass because the Giants O-line is terrible, and has been for years, going back to the end of Manning's tenure. A QB can only get pounded so much before they break. Anyone they stick behind that O-line is going to have the same problem (see Tyrod Taylor.)

As far as the Jets, I was skeptical of the whole Aaron Rogers experiment from the beginning. If you bring in some that old, you have to know there's a likelihood your backup is going to be starting at some point. They were hoping that under Rogers tutelage, Wilson might learn how to actually be a QB. That didn't work out for a few reasons (as my Wilson as Rogers injury.) But once they made the maximal effort to bring in Rogers, they were basically stuck with Wilson as his backup, because they probably didn't have the juice to go out and get a young QB with promise to bring up behind Rogers. So here they are. It's going into week 10. The trade deadline is passed. No QB who's on the couch right now could come in and be ready in a timely fashion and replace Wilson who could lkely do any better. So they're stuck with Wilson at least through the end of this season. And who knows what they'll be in a position to do going into next season?
People like you keep saying the O-line is terrible. Then why did the Giants drafted Odell Beckham Jr and not Chris Martin who become the Cowboys juggernaut OL. He's still with the Cowboys while Odell has already bounced around. Why keep paying the QB with these mega contracts when you can't even afford to put a decent O-line. A lot of sports commentators was surprised at the time the Giants did not take Chris Martin when they had the chance. They took Justin Pugh later on but not enough They keep picking the wrong parts while neglecting the O-line.

The Giants front office keep betting on the wrong parts year after year. They rather see Eli get pounded out there but who's fault was that giving Eli big contract while having a cheap O-line to protect him. It's a repeat with Daniel Jones, you overpay the QB and skip out on the O-line and leaving your overpaid QB taking the beating. He's not durable and fast enough with pocket escape-ability.

Last edited by MKTwet; 11-08-2023 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-12-2023, 10:01 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Another weekend, another wipeout.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:20 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:
Another weekend, another wipeout.
Least Rodgers got to hang out with Adams

Old 11-12-2023, 10:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Jets are -1.5 next week against the raiders as of now. Giants are +16.5 which just makes you laugh at how pathetic this team is.

This week

Close but still easy money with raiders plus 1. Easy money to with cowboys -14.5.

Didn’t see them keeping Prescott in past 1st half didn’t expect that performance honestly. Totally Surprised he came out in the 3rd.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Last week

This week

Close but still easy money with raiders plus 1. Easy money to with cowboys -14.5.

Didn’t see them keeping Prescott in past 1st half didn’t expect that performance honestly. Totally Surprised he came out in the 3rd.

1) if you could actually beat NFL spreads long term you wouldn't need a job. Most pro sports bettors won't even touch them.

2) telling your sports betting picks after the game is over is hilarious in so many different ways.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:21 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
1) if you could actually beat NFL spreads long term you wouldn't need a job. Most pro sports bettors won't even touch them.

2) telling your sports betting picks after the game is over is hilarious in so many different ways.
This year, betting against the Jets and Giants is as close to a sure thing as there could possibly be.

Old 11-13-2023, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
This year, betting against the Jets and Giants is as close to a sure thing as there could possibly be.
Jets are 4-4-1 ATS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City