Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 06:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

My 81 year old Mother wants to attend Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's a lifelong dream of hers.
My limited research (asking Google Bard) tells me:

"The only way to get guaranteed seating at the parade is through Macy's, and they only offer these seats to employees and invited guests. However, many hotels along the parade route offer rooms with views of the parade. This is a more expensive option, but it is also the most convenient and comfortable way for an 81-year-old to see the parade.

Another option is to stand along the parade route and watch from the sidewalk. This is a free option, but it can be very crowded and difficult to get a good view. If you choose to watch from the sidewalk, be sure to arrive early and dress appropriately for the weather."

Did the robot nail it or is there more to consider? She can walk ok, but not super far and can't stand for hours, so the hotel room option seems plausible.

What other options might exist that I should know about? Thanks for any ideas or tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 07:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Stay home and watch it on TV. The cameras provide the best close-up viewing. Having an 81m year old watch from the sidewalk would legally probably be considered an ASSAULT, or worse, matricide.

I'm not 81 YET, but I wouldn't stand on the sidewalk for several hours to watch huge blow-up kiddie balloons go by if someone paid me a thousand bucks.

Even from a hotel room, you won't see nearly as much as you can on a nice wide-screen TV.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:52 AM

978 posts, read 674,167 times
As someone who has worked the parade, you will not want to bring your 81 year old mother out there. Unless she’s a really active healthy 81 year old.
Your most favorable option albeit pricey is to get a hotel room on the avenue.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:12 AM

117 posts, read 47,729 times
parades are so outdated and overrated , the issue in this case is that its her lifelong dream so you are kinda forced to do it. as suggested book a room in a parade route which you probably wont find for this year. the problem as with other large events in NYC is getting out of there when its over so having to not move much afterwards is a plus and hotels would look to accommodate her

Old 09-14-2023, 11:56 AM

412 posts, read 228,603 times
Come and do the balloon walk the evening before; All the balloons are blown up and ready to go the night before and I'm pretty sure they allow you to do a walk around. Then have a good time doing OTHER things the next day as other people state.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:31 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
The Op asked for advice to go to the parade.
I had a relative come a few years ago. Late 70's and are in decent shape. Like your mother was a bucket list goal.
They got a spot on the curb before 7am. Brought blankets and sat. Once the parade started, they stood and watched it. She still talks about the parade and what a good time it was.
Also did the balloon blow up on the UWS the night before. That was a zoo and crazier than the parade. Long lines, you are forced into a carrel that zig zags for many blocks until they get to your group. Then you can leisurely walk the route of the balloons being blown up.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:43 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Why not write to Macys and ask for tickets to make her lifelong dream possible?

You never know. They may consider it a great PR opportunity.

Send a picture of her looking very grandmotherly.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 757,844 times
Courtyard Marriott does a viewing party. With ticket and room probably 2 grand. But your mother is indoors and dry and warm.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My 81 year old Mother wants to attend Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's a lifelong dream of hers.
My limited research (asking Google Bard) tells me:

"The only way to get guaranteed seating at the parade is through Macy's, and they only offer these seats to employees and invited guests. However, many hotels along the parade route offer rooms with views of the parade. This is a more expensive option, but it is also the most convenient and comfortable way for an 81-year-old to see the parade.

Another option is to stand along the parade route and watch from the sidewalk. This is a free option, but it can be very crowded and difficult to get a good view. If you choose to watch from the sidewalk, be sure to arrive early and dress appropriately for the weather."

Did the robot nail it or is there more to consider? She can walk ok, but not super far and can't stand for hours, so the hotel room option seems plausible.

What other options might exist that I should know about? Thanks for any ideas or tips.
Hotel rooms with parade views are usually booked well in advance.....often a year or more in advance.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:32 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
The Hilton Midtown offers packages starting at $750/night with a 4-night minimum.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/nyc...giving-parade/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City