Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,537,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
manhattan beach in brooklyn is pretty nice too....Q train to brighton beach, then B1 or B68 (sorry forgot which one) bus to manhattan beach.
B1 and the B49. It's a small beach. I believe not too long ago the local Manhattan Beach community group wanted to privatize the beach because of quality of life issues such as trash, graffiti and whatnot. They wanted to set up metal detectors, charge an admission and use the NYPD as security guards.
When I went to school down there, a good number of students from KCC and the high school located in the campus would crowd the beach around this time.

Last edited by 009; 06-02-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,182,361 times
Default Admission Fee for Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
It isn't in Queens or Brooklyn, but Long Beach is incredibly easy to get to via LIRR and was family friendly during my last visit.
The admission fee to get on the beach at Long Beach is $10 per adult. (I don't know what it is per child.)

Here is the LIRR's special for Long Beach:

Weekends Only May 24 to June 29
Memorial Day, May 26
Daily June 30 to September 1

Take the train to Long Beach Station.
The beach is a short walk east, then south.

From New York and Brooklyn $18
From Jamaica $15

Only a short train ride from Penn Station, Brooklyn or Jamaica, Long Beach has the ambiance of a seaside resort, with white sand, superb ocean swimming and a two-mile-long boardwalk.

Our Long Beach Package includes discounted one-day round-trip rail to Long Beach Station and discounted admission to the beach. Hourly train service from Penn Station, Brooklyn and Jamaica is provided, with direct weekend train service from Penn Station.

The fastest way to the beach on weekends and holidays is our Long Beach Express train - it leaves Penn Station at 10:22 AM.

See this webpage for their other beach specials:

MTA LIRR - Beach Packages (http://www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/BeachPackages/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,962,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I live in walking/biking distance to coney & brighton. They are ok, but they have to do since its so close.

I have family in Long Beach (the LIRR goes only a few blocks away from the beach, and not deep in LI at all, right near the start), and I think its pretty nice over there
I agree, I like Long Beach a lot better than the NYC beaches.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM

196 posts, read 777,040 times
Long Beach is very nice,its my favorite one,but you do have to pay to get in.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,852,799 times
During the week I would recommend Rockaway Beach/Belle Harbor. You should be able to find parking along Shore Front Parkway or the immediate side streets. The "A" train makes stops at B116 St (try to avoid that beach), Beach 105 St, 98 St & 90 St. I would try for the area around Beach 105 St. If you drive try the beaches west of Beach 116 St.

Belle Harbor has parking restrictions on the weekends.... meaning no parking at all from Friday night to Sunday night. Riis Park is a good choice on the weekends but there is a parking fee. I would certainly consider Long Beach, too. Parking is a major issue on the west end beaches, the east end is a little better. There is a fee ($10 for non-residents I think) to get onto the beach. You can get a seasonal pass if you plan on going frequently. Info on passes: The City of Long Beach, New York -- 2008 Beach Park Information

Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM

13 posts, read 70,842 times
I agree with baylover. Beach 90, 98, 105th street on A train will be good stops. The beach is only a few blocks from the subway and there are a few shops on the broadwalk for snacks or ice creams. You can take the A train straight there, no shuttles needed.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM

2,439 posts, read 4,799,423 times
Riis Park is nice but the facilities aren't very well maintained. It's a kind of cut-rate Jones Beach. Just east of Riis is Fort Tilden, former naval air station now public land. Tilden has a nice beach--supposedly fishing only--and real dunes back of the beach. It's a nice spot! Riis, Tilden, and Breezy Point Tip are all part of the Gateway Nat'l Recreation Area run by the National Park Service. You can park in the giant Riis Park lot and walk into Ft Tilden. However, if traveling by pub transp on a weekend, I agree that the A to Rockaway Park is better. If you try to get to Riis by pub transp you'll get there in time for dinner.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,661,532 times
I always rode my bike from Park Slope to Gateway. Fort Tilden is worth a look itself. The fort is long abandoned and there are scores of bunkers and paths all overgrown with flora. It almost looks like a place where Indiana Jones would be seeking something.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,852,799 times
Quote:
Tilden has a nice beach--supposedly fishing only--and real dunes back of the beach.
OMG, I can't believe you just gave up the secret! :0 Fort Tilden is definitely one of the most pristine beaches in NYC but that's because it is so difficult to get there, find & then park. If you like to explore, walk through the dunes (be careful of the piping plover nests!) and you will find some old WW1 era bunkers & buildings, pretty cool.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Although Rockaway Beach is quieter (and has bigger waves, because it fronts directly on the ocean as opposed to the lower harbor), the far western end of Coney Island is great. You just start walking west--away from the amusement district--and when you reach the West 20s and 30s, you're there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City