Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 01:12 PM

1,146 posts, read 861,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC by NYS law "late" is the 10th or 15th of month, not sure which.

It's like credit/charge cards and other debts. Places don't report until an account is 30 days past due. This when in actuality it's more like near sixty since two billing cycles occur before that thirty days hits.
Good to know. Here in NJ, it is 5 business days. (Just looked it up)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 01:28 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Edited previous post after doing some research.

NYS law considers rental payments late if received five (5) days after due date.

Sorry for confusion....

Many rent regulated LLs bill between 10th and 15th of each month. Thus payments received say five days but before ten days late may not incur late fees.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:38 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. This is an excellent tool in the arsenal for LLs to fight back with in a city that has made life for LLs extremely difficult in terms of getting rid of bad tenants.

As the article in your OP notes, the vast majority of deadbeats started to pay their rent when told they'd be sent to collections, which would wreck their credit scores. Only the most militant few held on, and they're paying the consequences of their militancy.

As others have noted, one of the downsides of their anti-LL laws is that LLs have less incentives to actually fix, upkeep, and improve their properties. Not when their ability to increase rents is capped and not when they can't get out bad tenants who destroy property and would only continue to destroy properties once improved.
That's all very well but when you consider about 65% or nearly 70% of all rental housing in NYC is either rent regulated, NYCHA or otherwise under direct or indirect government control "dead beats" usually win.

It is extremely difficult to remove rent regulated tenants even for something straight forward as nonpayment of rent. Bringing a hold over proceeding for chronic late payment of rent is almost rarely done in such situations because bar is too high.

That being said LLs will often bring such suits even if they don't win. Legal proceeding alone is enough to rattle a tenants cage I suppose. Though with mandatory legal representation for tenants outcome likely is different once they get lawyered up.

https://www.msnhlaw.com/crack-down-o...litigants.html

TenantNet - CTRC Fact Sheets

https://alblawfirm.com/case-studies/...npayment-case/

To be clear usually line is drawn between just paying rent late versus tenant being hauled into court for eviction due to non-payment of rent.

A rent regulated tenant who pays his/her rent each month when they GD feel like it (even if at end of month) may rack up late fees, but long as they haven't been served with a three day notice, or worse hauled into court there's little a LL can do. Life goes on including being sent mandatory lease renewal notices.

Old 12-08-2023, 01:52 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
That's all very well but when you consider about 65% or nearly 70% of all rental housing in NYC is either rent regulated, NYCHA or otherwise under direct or indirect government control "dead beats" usually win.

It is extremely difficult to remove rent regulated tenants even for something straight forward as nonpayment of rent. Bringing a hold over proceeding for chronic late payment of rent is almost rarely done in such situations because bar is too high.

That being said LLs will often bring such suits even if they don't win. Legal proceeding alone is enough to rattle a tenants cage I suppose. Though with mandatory legal representation for tenants outcome likely is different once they get lawyered up.

https://www.msnhlaw.com/crack-down-o...litigants.html

TenantNet - CTRC Fact Sheets

https://alblawfirm.com/case-studies/...npayment-case/

To be clear usually line is drawn between just paying rent late versus tenant being hauled into court for eviction due to non-payment of rent.

A rent regulated tenant who pays his/her rent each month when they GD feel like it (even if at end of month) may rack up late fees, but long as they haven't been served with a three day notice, or worse hauled into court there's little a LL can do. Life goes on including being sent mandatory lease renewal notices.
Winning is made all the easier if there is no real consequence for bad behavior. Again, we saw from the very article in your OP the impact that sending deadbeats to collections had. This isn't about removing tenants as this city isn't going to change the law to make it easier to do so. No, this is about LLs using more of the tools available to them to hold tenants to account. Sure, you'll have some people (either militantly stubborn or otherwise just unable to do so out of poor circumstance) who won't pay rent regardless and who will continue to flout the rules, but greater LL action via collections I think can go a long way to increasing rent compliance. Just my two cents anyway.

Old 12-08-2023, 08:48 PM

94 posts, read 89,916 times
Quote:
Edited previous post after doing some research.

NYS law considers rental payments late if received five (5) days after due date.

Sorry for confusion....

Many rent regulated LLs bill between 10th and 15th of each month. Thus payments received say five days but before ten days late may not incur late fees.
I just signed a lease for a Housing Connect Apartment (so GRATEFUL!)… And it said 5 days; however, the company handling the payments for my LL stated it will be considered late after 15 days. I was quite surprised! In my opinion that is very lenient.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:39 PM

870 posts, read 414,679 times
Can you report late rent payment to credit report agencies?? How?

Old 12-09-2023, 03:41 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Can you report late rent payment to credit report agencies?? How?
you have to go thru a company that is a member ..they charge for their services

Old 12-09-2023, 10:38 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
I don't know people are following this and the amount of car repos happening. All of this because the inflation and cost of living increases. People can't afford basic things like rent, car payments, and soon all of this will cause banks and LLs to be eating the cost for not being able to curb inflation. The Fed is doing the wrong ways to curb inflation they should be lowering borrowing cost not increase to fight inflation of cost of goods and services caused by supply and political disruptions. Increasing borrowing costs will hurt people who have only credit to pay for necessities and now people with sky high CC and car loan interest rates will start to cause a major wave of loan failures.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:45 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I don't know people are following this and the amount of car repos happening. All of this because the inflation and cost of living increases. People can't afford basic things like rent, car payments, and soon all of this will cause banks and LLs to be eating the cost for not being able to curb inflation. The Fed is doing the wrong ways to curb inflation they should be lowering borrowing cost not increase to fight inflation of cost of goods and services caused by supply and political disruptions. Increasing borrowing costs will hurt people who have only credit to pay for necessities and now people with sky high CC and car loan interest rates will start to cause a major wave of loan failures.
when you have supply side issues and not enough workers or supply , the only way to curb demand is increase rates …..lowering rates is once demand is curbed and either matches or falls behind supply.

lowering rates would only increase demand on things still in short supply .

i just got the second key for my lexus last week , i bought the car in july …. but chip shortages prohibit them giving two keys now .

some people waited a year but now things are beginning to catch up but not there yet.

stock and bond markets have priced in a march rate cut

Old 12-09-2023, 02:25 PM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
In CT it's 9 business days - so after the 10th it's late. Interesting to see the different rental laws in the tri-state area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: