Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2023, 05:03 AM

34,141 posts, read 47,376,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'm late to this party, and haven't read through the whole thread. So maybe someone has gone here already. But...

Any arguments anyone might cobble together in favor of reparations are essential irrelevant. There's very high probability that any attempt to impose reparations will get shot down by the courts on constitutional grounds due to the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.
I dont see how the equal protection clause has anything to do with reparations

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 05:05 AM

6,493 posts, read 3,182,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All I simply said was that the free labor was provided to America, America benefitted off the backs of others for free, so that's who should take responsibility to right the wrongs infracted upon its Black citizens.
As trite as this may sound, it wasn't exactly "free" labor, as you continually mention. The slave owner had to feed, clothe, and provide housing for the people who worked for them. And I looked through the attachment that you provided, which supposedly mentioned the companies that benefitted from slavery. I was quite surprised, when my eye caught the name, 'Brooks Brothers'. These days, BB is a "high end" men's clothier, so I found it rather confusing.

Then the notation said that BB made clothing for the slave owners, who, in turn, dressed their people in it. SO, the conclusion that you're jumping to, is that a "for profit" clothing company should not have made for, and sold clothing, to a slave owner? But because they did, they should be made to pay reparations??

Talk about a classic "stretch" of the situation, in order to rile up the crowd!! Seems to me, that SOMEBODY had to make the clothing. Would it have been better if no company at all, made clothing for the workers, and they walked around naked?

Old 12-21-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
As trite as this may sound, it wasn't exactly "free" labor, as you continually mention. The slave owner had to feed, clothe, and provide housing for the people who worked for them. And I looked through the attachment that you provided, which supposedly mentioned the companies that benefitted from slavery. I was quite surprised, when my eye caught the name, 'Brooks Brothers'. These days, BB is a "high end" men's clothier, so I found it rather confusing.

Then the notation said that BB made clothing for the slave owners, who, in turn, dressed their people in it. SO, the conclusion that you're jumping to, is that a "for profit" clothing company should not have made for, and sold clothing, to a slave owner? But because they did, they should be made to pay reparations??

Talk about a classic "stretch" of the situation, in order to rile up the crowd!! Seems to me, that SOMEBODY had to make the clothing. Would it have been better if no company at all, made clothing for the workers, and they walked around naked?
Hello - free as in not receiving wages for labor performed
I can't believe you're trying to make good points for American slavery
Actually I can believe it
Somebody had to make the whips too

And also, don't call it work. Slaveowners didn't give pensions last I checked

Old 12-21-2023, 06:01 AM

11,879 posts, read 5,847,794 times
Quote:
Hello - free as in not receiving wages for labor performed
I can't believe you're trying to make good points for American slavery
Actually I can believe it
Somebody had to make the whips too

And also, don't call it work. Slaveowners didn't give pensions last I checked
Pension is a mute point as the first pension plan was started by the American Express Railroad Company in 1875 and pensions were not the norm until the mid-20th century. Civil war ended in 1865.

There were many indentured servants - Irish, Italian ect - who supposedly may have been paid - but then did not receive that paycheck because the indenturer kept it for food, housing and clothing and of course paying off the money spent on the passage for those indentured servants to get here.

What's done is done - blacks have received more than any other group to pay them back when you look at the handouts that have been given to them for centuries now. And as you say - if you don't like it - leave and move. Minorities have it better here than in any other country and why they all want to come here.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:07 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

Those lists of companies are usually based on a ridiculous amount of stock transfers in the years between 1865 and now.

So current company A is really separated from slave owning company B by 20 steps but, well, someone has to pay right? It’s all a joke.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-21-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Pension is a mute point as the first pension plan was started by the American Express Railroad Company in 1875 and pensions were not the norm until the mid-20th century. Civil war ended in 1865.
Semantics, but facts are facts

Quote:
There were many indentured servants - Irish, Italian ect - who supposedly may have been paid - but then did not receive that paycheck because the indenturer kept it for food, housing and clothing and of course paying off the money spent on the passage for those indentured servants to get here.
So? What's your point? Why not call them slaves then instead of indentured servants?

Quote:
What's done is done - blacks have received more than any other group to pay them back when you look at the handouts that have been given to them for centuries now. And as you say - if you don't like it - leave and move. Minorities have it better here than in any other country and why they all want to come here.
If you don't like Black people just say so
I don't understand why you would not want the best for Black people after all the damage that has been inflicted upon them

Old 12-21-2023, 06:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 551,779 times
Quote:
Free backpacks, school supplies, prom dresses. Trained from childhood.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Free backpacks, school supplies, prom dresses. Trained from childhood.
I don't understand why you would not want the best for Black people after all the damage that has been inflicted upon them

Old 12-21-2023, 06:39 AM

1,062 posts, read 551,779 times
Quote:
That was the other way around for me working with them.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:04 AM

35,236 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Calm down everyone. The pay out will never happen. It’s all just a circus show.
I'm afraid it will. Like all bad ideas such as "congestion pricing" once things start circling, we all go down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City