Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should overnight parking on the street be banned in NYC?
Yes 7 29.17%
No 17 70.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 10:58 AM

34,138 posts, read 47,376,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nothing.

The problem is you're arguing from a false position. The government isn't "subsidizing" "free parking". The people own the land, not the government. You see government as an independent authoritative entity. I see it as only manifesting the will of the people. If you already believe that the government as an entity onto itself holds the ultimate say over every facet of our lives, then there's nothing fruitful to discuss.

In NYC, the dynamic has been tilted in favor of the government for far too long. You've accepted this. I did not. Which is why I no longer live there.
Define land.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2023, 12:15 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
My brain is too addled from having to define woman. I’m no longer prepared for this formerly ridiculously easy task.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-25-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneguy View Post
my brain is too addled from having to define woman. I’m no longer prepared for this formerly ridiculously easy task.
lol

Old 12-25-2023, 02:09 PM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sure, if you want to make another thing for rich people only.
This would be continuing with a line ridiculous policies that disproportionately burden and harm the non-wealthy among us.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,613,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The zoning mandated developers to provide off-street parking for all new residential buildings

The current mayor is seeking to overturn this requirement

I think it should be kept
I think the Robert Moses era urban planning decisions were a mistake. There's no reason that buildings in Manhattan, North Brooklyn, The South Bronx, etc. need to have parking garages.

Old 12-25-2023, 02:16 PM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If parking your car is free, parking your house should be free too

No property taxes, how about it

I don't think the city should be subsidizing parking spaces
I wouldn't say that street parking is "free." Drivers pay a premium to maintain roads, etc., via gas taxes, tolls, registration fees, etc.; prices that non-car owners do not pay. This includes the roads that they park on. Parking on roads that you pay to maintain =/= a free benefit in my book.

Note, this is even before we start talking about metered parking in high trafficked business districts.

This reminds me of those who claim that public primary and secondary education are "free." No they are not. We pay for it via taxes.

Old 12-25-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I wouldn't say that street parking is "free." Drivers pay a premium to maintain roads, etc., via gas taxes, tolls, registration fees, etc.; prices that non-car owners do not pay. This includes the roads that they park on. Parking on roads that you pay to maintain =/= a free benefit in my book.

Note, this is even before we start talking about metered parking in high trafficked business districts.

This reminds me of those who claim that public primary and secondary education are "free." No they are not. We pay for it via taxes.
https://pirg.org/wp-content/uploads/...oads-vUS_1.pdf

Old 12-26-2023, 08:03 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Gasoline taxes include the NYC sales tax, vehicle sales also pay the 4.5% NYC sales tax, which is a sizeable amount on most new cars. A $31,000 car pays $1,395 in NYC sales tax at time of purchase. An $85,000 car pays $3,400 in NYC sales tax at time of purchase.

Vehicles registered in NYC (that's over 2 million vehicles) also pay an additional $80 in fees to NYC as part of their NYS vehicle 2-year registration:

New York City
Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island)

All passenger vehicle original registrations and renewals
  • Vehicle use tax - $30 for two years ($15 per year)
  • Supplemental MCTD fee - $50 for two years ($25 per year)
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/registration-fees-use-taxes-and-supplemental-fees-passenger-vehicles

NYC Vehicle registrations:

Boro | Vehicles | % of NYC Total
BX | 294,069 | 13.12%
BK | 557,131 | 24.86%
MN | 256,630 | 11.45%
QN | 847,495 | 37.81%
SI | 286,096 | 12.76%
(Outer Boros only | 1,984,791 | 88.55%)
NYC TOT | 2,241,421 | 100.0%

Last edited by dfc99; 12-26-2023 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-26-2023, 11:43 AM

13,659 posts, read 10,054,135 times
Is this a thread related to travellers, RV owners etc.?

Old 12-26-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Is this a thread related to travellers, RV owners etc.?
It is now!

Welcome.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City