Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

^^ Of course. That's why myself and some other people here make sure to say that although groups like "Nuyoricans" have bad reputations, there are a lot of people pertaining to this group who are upstanding citizens who are good for the community. Really, it is a corrupt small group that spoils the reputation for the majority of people who are good, law-abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM

537 posts, read 456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Your heart is really in the right place, but in practice I don't think most Hispanics/Latinos would support the idea of "loving one another" and "banding together." There are some situations when separation is really better for certain people/groups than unity. Why identify and associate with a group who has rightfully earned a terrible reputation? I don't really see the need for Cuban-Americans in suburban New Jersey to identify with Nuyoricans, and I don't see the need for Central Americans in DC to identify with Dominicans in the Bronx. All those groups have distinct identities that they want to protect, and don't want to be generalized into some "brown" mass in which half of its "members" are not even "brown" to start.

I disagree with the assessment that America will only view Hispanics as the same. My experience has been that many people are confused and/or uninformed about the issues of race/culture/politics when concerning Hispanics and will readily accept the realities as they learn them. For this reason, various Hispanic groups have, for all practical purposes, been accepted into other groups that are thought to be more "native" to this country. For example, Cubans in Miami are considered to be as "white" as anyone else, Spanish-Americans and Mexican-Americans in much of the Southwest are seen as people who have lived on the land for years and are just as American as anyone else, and many black Latins have blended into - and been accepted into - the African-American community. In many cases, there is simply no need - and no want - for Hispanics to identify with each other just because they (or their ancestors) have a language in common.

It is not necessarily hateful for certain groups to separate and distinguish themselves from Mexican-Americans, Nuyoricans, Dominicans, or any other group. Some of these groups have earned bad reputations in the regions in which they are concentrated; how can you blame other "Hispanics" for distinguishing themselves so that others don't associate them with this bad reputation? This isn't hate; this is common sense and often motivated by desire to succeed, assimilate, or to simply be accepted by other non-Hispanic groups. It's simply too easy to scream "hater!" or "racist!" or "bigot!" at people who separate themselves - there are plenty of good reason for distinguishing yourself that are not necessarily insulting to the group from which you want to be distinguished. Guy, I know that you are a man of ideals but many people - including myself - want nothing to do with those who taint the reputation of Hispanics in this country. I once even met a Nuyorican kid who studied hard to learn perfect Spanish, asked his parents to send him to Puerto Rico during the summers, and associated from Puerto Ricans from the island so that he would be seen as Puerto Rican and not Nuyorican.

Identity is an immensely personally issue and I will not even say that it would necessarily be a good thing for all "Hispanics" to identify with each other.... such a choice is too personal to be forced.

Much of what you have stated here is extremely logical and makes good sense. But this idea of "latinos unidos" is something we have been hearing for quite some time. For decades we have heard this cry in Latin music, and it hasn't really fallen on deaf ears. To a fairly significant degree, it has been embraced.

Your point that Latinos from particular origins wish to distinguish themselves from those of other origins who have built bad reputations for themselves is a point well-taken. It is a wise consideration. But even people within certain ethnicities often prefer to distinguish themselves from others within the same group who behave badly, with the intention of showing that "although I may be Black, or white, or Puerto Rican, or whatever...please don't lump me with those of my ethnic group who are acting out in an unbecoming way. I am not like that."

Much can be said for an apparent generalization of a particular group, especially if one's experience(s) with people of that group has been negative. But every single group in question has its exceptions. There have been people that I have met from some of these more criticized groups that are among the most beautiful and repectable people I have ever met, and I consider it a privilege and a pleasure to know them.

(Part Two to follow...so as not to make this one too long a post).

Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM

537 posts, read 456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
^^ Of course. That's why myself and some other people here make sure to say that although groups like "Nuyoricans" have bad reputations, there are a lot of people pertaining to this group who are upstanding citizens who are good for the community. Really, it is a corrupt small group that spoils the reputation for the majority of people who are good, law-abiding citizens.
Another excellent post. But bigotry does, indeed, rear its ugly head. I believe that what "Guywithacause" said about Latinos being lumped together in the eyes of some (many??) is an entirely valid and correct statement. I have heard this sentiment verbalized. Some people are bent on hating while being ignorant at the same time.

I agree with you that "a corrupt small group" can spoil a reputation for those within that (larger) group who do not deserve it. If I am latino, in the eyes of some I will be damned before I even have a chance to prove myself. Of course, this problem extends well beyond the realm of latinos; but since this seems to be our focal point, I figured I would comment accordingly.

Yes, many non-latinos often don't care if one is from Peru, Mexico, Cuba, or Puerto Rico. You're Spanish-speaking, therefore you get a "thumbs-down". Therefore, a sort of "bond" had been created among those within the Spanish-speaking world. But, people being people, there will always be those who still want to be "better" than others. Even latinos from South America will have issues with latinos who come form other countries within South America.

Yet, it seemed that this "bond", for the most part, was being honored. I still see it. I pretty much never observe any negative attitudes on the part of latinos of one group against those of another. It is something that I have always found admirable.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 PM

26 posts, read 92,661 times
I know that Brazilians do in a way look down on hispanics and do not want to be lumped together with the generally lower class status associated with hispanics in America. I am not this way but know many people who are... I think it is sad that South Americans come to this country, all wanting the same thing, a better life, but end up turning against each other along the way.

Crips444: great posts btw...

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
My wife and I are Mexican Americans (Raised in South Florida and L.A.) and we lived in NYC from 2004-2006 and plan on going back in 2-3 years. We were very surprised to see so many Mexicans in NYC, they were working in almost every area of service. Much of them very nice, but most not Americans (many illegal), but when we spoke to them they were very happy to be in NYC making money. There was a street vendor named Armando who would sell Mango on a stick and aguas frescas near Madison Park .

My wife and I are not ghetto though, we lived in West Village and Astoria. We had neighbors from Columbia and Brazil that were very friendly, showed no hostility, actually became very close friends. There is a large Spanish population there that is very ghetto, but also a somewhat large population of educated higher class Hispanics that tend to be more spread out, however frequent the same nightclubs and bars (many goto Cielo in the meat packing district). We did meet other Mexican-Americans there many Spanish and White decent.

We had absolutely no problems in NYC and miss it. BUENAS SUERTE!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times
I'm Puertorican and lived around alot of Mexicans in Cali alot of my life.The truth is.As soon as more and more Mexicans keep coming to NYC,The Gang element will start to really explode.And I know, the Ricans,Dominicans,and Blacks aint gonna go for that in their neighborhoods.They'll start to kill over blocks and turf.And I can tell you from experience,Mexicans mosty stick with each other.They dont tend to assimilate into American Culture easily.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
And I can tell you from experience,Mexicans mosty stick with each other.They dont tend to assimilate into American Culture easily.
A lot of people are like that. It's 50/50

Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 AM

I'm absolutely positive we (Puertoricans) are smarter than first generation Mexicans!!LOL. At least we dont hate African Americans like most Mexicans do. Go to L.A and see the internal racial stuff that go on there.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 AM

I agree with you BXGEAR. I'm from Cali and grew up in San Juan and N.J. It's different out here in Cali though.Latinos stick together more on the East Coast than the West. I see it every day out here bro.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
Please why does everything come to down to us vs them? The point I am making is not about expecting everyone to be the same, or think we are all identical. The problem here is one group pitted against the other group....PRs supposedly hate Drs...Mexicans supposedly hate Venezuelans...and Cubans hate everyone...it's all BS. It creates divisions and not only undermines your own culture but the fabric of our society.

There are dummies in every group that will find a reason to hate somebody..and then hate some other group tomorrow...and the only way they know how to function is through battling somebody, some neighbor, some group...some other block. This dysfunction is not representative of any group..it is representative of soceity's dysfucntion..and human nature to some extent. Furthermore, you cannot extrapolate your experiences in the ghetto and that mentality and lifestyle and somehow project that to an entire race/culture..it's just ludicrous.

Would anyone really equate American society based on their limited experiences surrounded by the poor whites in Appalachia? Of course not...that is one small subgroup of our society..and does not represent anything other than some poor whites in Appalachia. If you make judgements based on your experiences from Juan del Barrio who never graduates high school, and lives the ghetto life..and somehow believe he represents anythign besides ignorance and poverty...then you are just as ignorant and small minded as Juan.

Yes we are all people of color, and if anyone should be promoting people of color it should be us. If we cannot help eachother and squash the nonsense/BS stereotypes/immature us vs them mentality...how can you expect the rest of society to treat us as equals, as people of susbstance, and valued members of society?

Step out of the street mentality and the us vs them..and realize that you are doing a grave disservice to YOURSELF, your family, your friends, and our cultures when you waste time reinforcing stereotypes and creating animosity among groups that should be working together..not growing apart. Just stop the hate...b/c at the end of the day...when we stand together..we are all stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City