Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basekamp View Post
NYC is aging badly. The average age of a New Yorker is 36, the average age of a Manhattaner is like 40... Can rap survive this in NYC? Well given that rappers THEMSELVES in NYC are all old they might just stand a chance.

CLICK.
NYC breeds the best mc's LYRICALLY hands down. The Boroughs be deep with rappers, and so many dudes can spit that raw.Even the young Black and Latinos coming up in NY, all center around lyrical ability and flow. NYC just aint gettin its shine from the media right now. But TRUST ME, they will reign again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,908 times
Cam is back!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
Cam is back!
Hahaha..Yea, we need that 1998 Killa Cam back on. That was my Moderator cut: stuff man. You ever heard his joints with Children Of the Corn?(Killa Cam, Big L, Mcgruff, Mase? Classic bars my dude..Right now, I listen to DITC,Show & AG, Party Arty(RIP), D Flow..They holdin it down..

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-23-2009 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Ny hip hop is so great because are rappers are actually from the toughest streets in the country unlike these new school 18 19 yr old rappers from Atlanta who dont know Mod cut: language the ny rappers have those good intresting criminal stories which grab peoples attention about shootouts drug dealing and crime (not glorifying but their intresting topics) the ATL rappers grab attention by doing the Stanky Leg
YouTube - STANKY LEG VIDEO BY: GS BOYZ
These sentiments allow any idiot with a rap sheet to become a rapper; one of the reasons this hip hop thing is on life-support. The fact is most of the celebrated lyricists with poetic, song-making, story telling abilities, did not primarily talk about "shoot outs and drug dealing". Those who did were good poets and good writers FIRST. Pun was known for his flawless and witty use of multis and what i refer to as "attitude" rap, not "shootouts" on prospect or moving 200 tones of weight as proclaimed by people like the clipse. Mobb Deep (pre gay-unit) also falls in the "attitude rap" category.

Those who don't have the skills, are the ones who need the thug element to have a "career". Why bother finishing high school/college, learn how to structure and write songs, use various rhyme schemes or generate concepts for songs, when you can just drop out of school, put on your timbs, shoot up a party and have a career? "People" like "uncle murda", will NEVER be able to make a song like THE ENEMY by BIG L or CLONES by The Roots. An idiot like Maino supposedly does 10 years and now he's a "rapper". * yawn *

How many of these so called "street" guys can make a song accompanied by a video like this?
YouTube - The Roots - Clones

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM

391 posts, read 1,248,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Hahaha..Yea, we need that 1998 Killa Cam back on. That was my Moderator cut: stuff man. You ever heard his joints with Children Of the Corn?(Killa Cam, Big L, Mcgruff, Mase? Classic bars my dude..Right now, I listen to DITC,Show & AG, Party Arty(RIP), D Flow..They holdin it down..
Nah I havent, ill have to check it out. I got into cam around the time he dropped SDE, Big L has always been dope as well. But yeah, 90's hiphop will always reign supreme, too many classics

Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Yeah yo, I'm feelin' Saigon too (in addition to Papoose). I hope he drops an album soon! I'm a fellow "head" from the Chicago area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Papoose is hot, he just needs to put out a proper album w/ a good producer. He reps NY hard too.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Totally forgot about Joell Ortiz. That cat is NICE! And I'm sure you guys remember Cormega, who was homies with Nas prior to having a fallout with him. Now I think they're on good terms again. Mega's flow was always sick. I'm hoping he drops a new record soon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
I'm not in NY so I don't thoroughly know the local scene but the only hope NYC has to once again reign supreme in Hip-Hop is Papoose, Joell Ortiz and Saigon

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

62 posts, read 252,962 times
Cormega is nice with the verbal word play. However I must say his delivery is kind of lackluster. The similarities to Nas don't help him shine which probably plays a part in why isn't well known.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM

62 posts, read 252,962 times
oh yeah and some of the songs he has have whack beats if I remember correctly.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Ever hear of Immortal Technique?? He's from Harlem. We don't have many lyrical rappers anymore, sorry..

Best, Hands down. New stuff is too far reaching, but I dunno how someone can listen to a song like Caught In the Hustle and not relate and try to be better. "If the solution has never been to look at yourself, then how do you expect to find it anywhere else?".

If only we all followed that saying, society wouldnt be a bunch of half weight, chump, pity seeking sorry people.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-28-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City