Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,762 times

Advertisements

I dont want to say my age, but im a fan of the golden era of hip hop, dont laugh or front cuz im from El Paso ok [lol] Anway i love NYC hip hop, ive been a "head" since the days of Heavy d & the boys, Big Daddy Kane, LL Cool J, Leaders of the New, EPMD, A Tribe Called Quest [my favorite group of all time], I even loved, the early 90s hip hop as much, Mobb Deep, Big, Big Pun, Wu Tang, Masta Ace, etc etc, ANYWAY... i remember the days, when Nyc hip hop was untouchable, lyrically, production wise, aesthetically, nobody could touch new york!!!! Do u think nyc will ever get the hip hop crown back? The South has had it locked down for a minute already, & the kids [my kids included] are all for dirty south/ crunk/danceable/kiddy hip hop, all they care about is a catchy mickey mouse beat. Ive tried to teach them about the beauty of Lyricism, and theyre not having it!! So basically, my question is "do u think nyc will ever reach the top again?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Ever hear of Immortal Technique?? He's from Harlem. We don't have many lyrical rappers anymore, sorry..

Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM

177 posts, read 613,857 times
I'm from the South...and love "Real Hip-Hop". Basically all you mentioned and a few you left out. I've been pondering this myself and sadly to say I think those days may be over. at least for a while. With the crossover of simply the term "Underground" and the mainstream's use of "Hip-Hop" versus "rap" (which is what true hip-hoppers used to make distinction) true hip-hop is going to be on the shelf for a while.

But it's just the cycle of art, music, culture, and society. Jazz went through the same phase, as did R&B/Soul, which didn't make it's "Re-birth" (if you want to call it that) until the era of Neo-Soul nearly 20yrs after it's watering down from the disco era. That can be argued, but looking at Hip-hop, I see it going the way of jazz & R&B. We are in the "Disco" era of hip-hop. It's about "glam" right now. Glitter, sparkles, flashing, money....bling! The real stuff is really underground. And that may be a good thing, because the people doing it have to love it, because the money isn't really there. Unless they take it to Europe or Japan, but even those countries are into the "Dirty Dirty". I'm with you. I was listening to Guru and Bahamadia the other day and almost shed a tear. These kids don't even get it. But i think after the industry has squeezed the last drop out of the "Southern Peach", a resurgence of true hip-hop will emerge. And it will have to be from NYC. You guys gave it life. I sure hope it does.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:41 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
Ever hear of Immortal Technique?? He's from Harlem. We don't have many lyrical rappers anymore, sorry..
i know i miss pun, joel ortiz is alright, but not in puns league.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
These days Fat Boys & Nice N Smooth lol

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
He's good at what he does, but that whole 9/11 conspiracy stuff puts me off.
I've been listening to a lot of Philly stuff like Jedi Mind Tricks, Spank Rock, Army of the Pharoahs.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
He's good at what he does, but that whole 9/11 conspiracy stuff puts me off.
I've been listening to a lot of Philly stuff like Jedi Mind Tricks, Spank Rock, Army of the Pharoahs.
I actually haven't listened to his new stuff, but I had a bad feeling about it so I shied away... I love Jedi Mind Tricks though!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 PM

102 posts, read 472,406 times
even though the south seems to have everything going on you have to rember that with out new york hip hop or rap would not been born or any other music in that case.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
even though the south seems to have everything going on you have to rember that with out new york hip hop or rap would not been born or any other music in that case.
lol this guy is so funny

Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodam12 View Post
Wait, weren't you just saying how New York is a horrible place a post ago? I'm confused on your stance here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City