Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,772 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I will soon be visiting NYC with my girlfriend, and we'll be staying in Harlem, somewhere between 122nd and 125th streets, near Malcolm X Boulevard (Airbnb has not yet provided the full address). I wanted to know how safe this area is, especially at night (say, until around midnight).

I want to mention that I visited NYC almost a decade ago and stayed in Washington Heights, which is about 30 streets north. While I know that Washington Heights isn't luxurious either, I felt safe most of the time back then. However, I understand that things can change.

Do you have any advice for staying safe and alert while walking around this area? I'm aware that the situation can vary from block to block, and I've come across information online that mentions the presence of several individuals with mental issues, and it's often advised not to engage with them.

Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 12:00 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelerino View Post
Hi everyone.

I will soon be visiting NYC with my girlfriend, and we'll be staying in Harlem, somewhere between 122nd and 125th streets, near Malcolm X Boulevard (Airbnb has not yet provided the full address). I wanted to know how safe this area is, especially at night (say, until around midnight).

I want to mention that I visited NYC almost a decade ago and stayed in Washington Heights, which is about 30 streets north. While I know that Washington Heights isn't luxurious either, I felt safe most of the time back then. However, I understand that things can change.

Do you have any advice for staying safe and alert while walking around this area? I'm aware that the situation can vary from block to block, and I've come across information online that mentions the presence of several individuals with mental issues, and it's often advised not to engage with them.

A rule of thumb that will serve all travelers well regardless of what city you visit in the US is the following:

- Any neighborhood, town or street or blvd that has "MLK" and/or a "Malcolm X" in its name is to be avoided. Always. I've traveled the country extensively since the mid 90s and no matter where you go, areas with these names seem to be the mostly downtrodden and violent.

But you should be fine during the day as other have posted since this is a busy, bustling area. However at night, especially if you are a person of non color, be aware. Very aware.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:06 AM

106,582 posts, read 108,739,314 times
we have taken our expensive photography gear to that area a few times with no problem .

we like doing photo shoots in harlem but we don’t meander off the main drags.

same with the south bronx .

we tend to go early while the bad guys are still sleeping after a night of drugs and robbery..

in all seriousness, this is true ..we find it safer early mornings

Old 08-22-2023, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 3,561 times
Yes, it's safe. But is it even worth the price?

Another good location would be staying in Astoria, Queens. You can take the short bus ride bus over to 125.

It would probably even be cheaper, not to mention better food and nightlife.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:04 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Most hard working folks have been conditioned for getting up early in the morning and shuffling off to work.

In my decades of experience rarely did crime happen in early morning hours especially impoverished neighborhoods.
I would be working a few hours by this time as I saw people walking out their buildings 9-10 am to the nearest bodega
for coffee and a roll in a state of semi-consciousness.

Yes. I found early mornings to be the safest.

Nights.........especially hot and muggy ...........were trouble.
Nights belong to the devil and his minions.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-24-2023 at 05:17 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 07:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
The answer will depend on whether you blend into the neighborhood and what time of day it is. Posters who say your appearance doesn't matter are delusional. A white European or Asian tourist couple will stick out like a sore thumb in the neighborhood especially at night. They will be a potential target for those looking to cause trouble.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:58 PM

193 posts, read 104,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The answer will depend on whether you blend into the neighborhood and what time of day it is. Posters who say your appearance doesn't matter are delusional. A white European or Asian tourist couple will stick out like a sore thumb in the neighborhood especially at night. They will be a potential target for those looking to cause trouble.
not any more with all those transplants living it up tryin to create SoHa (South Harlem).. smh

Old 08-24-2023, 03:06 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelerino View Post
Hi everyone.

You’ll be ok, just take normal precautions

Most people responding to this can’t even remember the last time they’ve been to Harlem at night to be honest

Some probably have never walked around Harlem at night

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-24-2023, 06:29 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
not any more with all those transplants living it up tryin to create SoHa (South Harlem).. smh
Please tell me that SOHA is not real. Sounds like another real estate marketung trick.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:25 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Many years ago I used to go to Manhattan by myself and literally walk the entire island with a DSLR always on display taking photos. I would spend an entire day doing that, multiple times during the warmer months. Arrived early morning to Manhattan and leave in the evenings. Walking around when you basically have nothing to do or somewhere to go is different from walking around because you have to be at a specific place at a certain time. You literally walk as fast or slow as you want, sit at a bench whenever you want and wherever there is one, enter a restaurant anywhere to eat, never in a rush; actually very relaxing. Anyway, I never had a problem whether I was in an area surrounded by whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, whatever; rich, poor, whatever; locals, tourists, whatever.

That includes Harlem and one time I even walked into an area in Harlem where a movie scene was being filmed. lol I never went to Harlem in the evenings or at night. I may had been many things, but naive is not one of them. I remember seeing a few white people in Harlem, especially on 125th St. If that was the case then, now with the gentrification there and further north in Manhattan are going through it must be much more common to see white people walking in the streets.

PS. Another thing that probably helped in never having any problems was that I have never been afraid of anyone. I probably walked by drug dealers, certainly homeless people, people that looked they were always mean, others bubbly happy types, people with tattoes, people that looked neat, people that looked they had a hard life, etc. Just walked by them never thinking of them at all. I think that helped because certain people can sense if someone else has fear or is nervous and that inevitably attracts the trouble makers.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-25-2023 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: