Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 03:43 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,408,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I reinstated him just now. Other Mods were having an issue with him.
That's an OG call. You saved mathjak107 the same way OG Bobby Johnson saved his friend from the Aryan Nation while they were in prison in "South Central" . Now he's your responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 03:52 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That's an OG call. You saved mathjak107 the same way OG Bobby Johnson saved his friend from the Aryan Nation while they were in prison in "South Central" . Now he's your responsibility.
Hilarious

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-14-2024, 05:33 AM

16,140 posts, read 6,886,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
33% percent of Bronx apartments under $2,000

16% percent of Queens apartments under $2,000

9% percent of Brooklyn apartments under $2,000

1% percent of Manhattan apartments under $2,000

13% percent of Staten Island apartments under $2,000

By 2025 low income renters will be officially price out of Manhattan unless you have section 8 and within 5 years The Bronx will be unaffordable numbers drop to 20% for apartments under $2,000. If want live in prime areas in NYC you need to make atleast $125,000 or more if not you having roommates.

Excellent Post.

I can not blame property owners for warehousing rental units due to laws favoring tenants.
If the city provided more owner protection I can bet a percentage of rentals becoming quickly available.

Until then.................Good Luck

Old 02-21-2024, 06:28 AM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
the problem is that thousands of vacant apartments need to be renovated to be rerented …

the changes in tenant laws now restrict how much a landlord can recover for capital improvements as well as how much rents can be raised when rerented .

so many are cheaper to leave vacant then bring up to standards for rental depending how many are involved.

the more laws that favor tenants and not land lord situations the more investors and developers will leave the rental business reducing supply .

no different then when someone cuts your pay and you have skills you look elsewhere

Old 02-21-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is that thousands of vacant apartments need to be renovated to be rerented …

the changes in tenant laws now restrict how much a landlord can recover for capital improvements as well as how much rents can be raised when rerented .

so many are cheaper to leave vacant then bring up to standards for rental depending how many are involved.

the more laws that favor tenants and not land lord situations the more investors and developers will leave the rental business reducing supply .

no different then when someone cuts your pay and you have skills you look elsewhere
The other problem is that the life systems in these buildings are past their shelf-lives

Plumbing and heating systems ideally should be replaced every 20 years, 30 is pushing it

It's hard to replace plumbing risers and roughing in an occupied apartment

The housing is outdated and archaic

For example, when there's a gas leak in an apartment building, the entire line has to be shut down for months

And everybody wonders why there was a push to electric stoves and heating

Soon they will figure out a way for the apartment to get water without risers

Old 02-21-2024, 07:39 AM

Quote:
The other problem is that the life systems in these buildings are past their shelf-lives

Plumbing and heating systems ideally should be replaced every 20 years, 30 is pushing it

It's hard to replace plumbing risers and roughing in an occupied apartment

The housing is outdated and archaic
some of it is ..but there are lots of buildings well maintained . ours is very well maintained .

some stabilized apartments are in top notch coop buildings where anyone of us would live

in fact there are some i would love to live in but way over budget .

Old 02-21-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
some of it is ..but there are lots of buildings well maintained . ours is very well maintained .

some stabilized apartments are in top notch coop buildings where anyone of us would live

in fact there are some i would love to live in but way over budget .

If I had to make a guess, I would say 30% of the residential multiple dwellings in this city are as well maintained as yours, and the other 70% are not

Old 02-21-2024, 07:46 AM

i wouldn’t even try to guess as i just don’t know ..you know me , i am a facts and figure guy …

i know every vacant apartment in our building under goes a renovation.

but most rents are now at market as well ..saw a two bedroom in the building advertised the other day for 3100…and stabilized

Old 02-21-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
i wouldn’t even try to guess as i just don’t know ..you know me , i am a facts and figure guy …

i know every vacant apartment in our building under goes a renovation.

but most rents are now at market as well ..saw a two bedroom in the building advertised the other day for 3100…and stabilized
If most buildings in the city were as well maintained as yours, rents would reflect that (be much higher) so that's my hypothesis, the 30% figure

Does your building have any open DOB or HPD violations? My guess is no

Old 02-21-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
If most buildings in the city were as well maintained as yours, rents would reflect that (be much higher) so that's my hypothesis, the 30% figure

Does your building have any open DOB or HPD violations? My guess is no
nothing open i know of .

a lot of owners got fooled though because they were dumping in a lot of capital improvements over the years and i am sure our building fell in that category with pool and tennis courts , and trying to get the rents closer to destabilizing .

but now they stopped the ability with the new rent laws to destabilize when rents hit a certain amount.

so the end game got wrecked so to speak

that’s a big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City