Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 12:04 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times

Advertisements

Not just a NY issue, but NY is likely the epicenter. Lots of MTA and PA content.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/sneaky-d...cx_testId=3&cx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Not just a NY issue, but NY is likely the epicenter. Lots of MTA and PA content.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/sneaky-d...cx_testId=3&cx
It's gonna cost NYC a lot of over time and resources to catch toll beaters, I would estimate that 5% of cars that are running are illegal with funny plates and unregistered cars. During rush hour it wouldn't be possible for cops to pull over someone easily when there are thousands of cars passing through. It's the off-peak times they have visibility.

Add to that tons of illegals owning illegal cars running around also they are immune to prosecution and fines. I know illegals that get pulled for farebeating but doesn't matter if the cops give them a ticket. What good is the law against illegal aliens when the city allows for illegal entry without any persecution.

Technically any illegal can get away with murder and the worst thing that can happen is being deported.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:06 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
Most of this is likely true. The last line isn't. There are a lot of illegals doing a lot of years in a lot of jails for violent crimes. Being an illegal alien doesn't get them off the how. And if/when they get out, they're deported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's gonna cost NYC a lot of over time and resources to catch toll beaters, I would estimate that 5% of cars that are running are illegal with funny plates and unregistered cars. During rush hour it wouldn't be possible for cops to pull over someone easily when there are thousands of cars passing through. It's the off-peak times they have visibility.

Add to that tons of illegals owning illegal cars running around also they are immune to prosecution and fines. I know illegals that get pulled for farebeating but doesn't matter if the cops give them a ticket. What good is the law against illegal aliens when the city allows for illegal entry without any persecution.

Technically any illegal can get away with murder and the worst thing that can happen is being deported.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:35 PM

2,438 posts, read 1,216,282 times
Massive civil disobedience is needed. Become ungovernable.

The first day they turn on congestion pricing every driver should remove their plates and drive into the zone.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:25 PM

5,808 posts, read 2,938,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Massive civil disobedience is needed. Become ungovernable.

The first day they turn on congestion pricing every driver should remove their plates and drive into the zone.
Maybe BLM can take out all those cameras? Or do they need to get paid for that?

Old 03-11-2024, 09:19 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,662,548 times
I don't know why people even bother about protesting. There absolutely no reason I need to drive into manhattan during those times. Maybe the congestion tax is worth it, if it gives me a 30min traffic reduction.

I have a feeling that eventually Gov. Hochul will crater to the poor voters complaint and reduce the congestion tax to only people who make $50k+ has to pay. Which is really stupid because how many people making under $50k legally can afford to drive in NYC. Just the parking alone is $4/30mins at a meter and eating out may cost your $115 in parking tickets or $60 to park in a parking lot for 2 hours.

NYC is expensive because the government redistributes the income to their overpaid workers and social services..

Old 03-11-2024, 09:45 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Just the parking alone is $4/30mins at a meter and eating out may cost your $115 in parking tickets or $60 to park in a parking lot for 2 hours.
I wonder if there is an app for NYC public parking (garages and street parking.) That definitely avoids getting a parking ticket.

I have the apps ParkMobile which covers Fairfield County, CT and Passport which covers Westchester County, NY. Ihaven’t pid in a meter or a parking station in years. Plus, usually the meters take your money if by mistake you pay when is free while the app only charges you up to the time public parking is free and doesn’t accept payments when it’s free. The other nice thing is that it begins a countdown from the moment you pay. If the countdown is ending and you need to pay more, you don’t even need to go out and put more money in a meters. Just a few clicks on your phone and that’s it. Comes handy when in a restaurant or in a store.

The way the apps work is that on the meters (or a sign near the curb) is a number (can be four digits or more.) You click it on the cellphone, click on the license plate of your car, pay, done! Many times you can see the number from your car, so do everything and pay in the car and then get out.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:47 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
I don't know why people even bother about protesting. There absolutely no reason I need to drive into manhattan during those times. Maybe the congestion tax is worth it, if it gives me a 30min traffic reduction.

I have a feeling that eventually Gov. Hochul will crater to the poor voters complaint and reduce the congestion tax to only people who make $50k+ has to pay. Which is really stupid because how many people making under $50k legally can afford to drive in NYC. Just the parking alone is $4/30mins at a meter and eating out may cost your $115 in parking tickets or $60 to park in a parking lot for 2 hours.

NYC is expensive because the government redistributes the income to their overpaid workers and social services..
The average person living in the outer boroughs is not driving into Manhattan during the weekdays, or during rush hour. Most people are taking the train into the city for work or play. Your post is giving the impression that people making $50K or less are driving into the city during peak hours, or even driving into the city at all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2024, 09:53 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The average person living in the outer boroughs is not driving into Manhattan during the weekdays, or during rush hour. Most people are taking the train into the city for work or play. Your post is giving the impression that people making $50K or less are driving into the city during peak hours, or even driving into the city at all.
Not sure about the average person but most of the drivers in Manhattan are not Manhattan residents so who are all these drivers then if not from the outerboroughs? Yes, there are suburban drivers but they couldn’t possibly be all the ones in Manhattan either.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:18 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Not sure about the average person but most of the drivers in Manhattan are not Manhattan residents so who are all these drivers then if not from the outerboroughs? Yes, there are suburban drivers but they couldn’t possibly be all the ones in Manhattan either.
There's really no way to track this, so your question cannot be answered until congestion pricing goes into effect. Then they'll be able to see exactly who's traveling into the congestion zone by registration. One thing for sure is that 22% of Manhattan households own a car, and that's the lowest of the five boroughs.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City