Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 08:25 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I was reading this story and the squatters don't even have to be there 30 days. They know the law and they know what to say. So if you go to the grocery store and come home to someone in your house, then if you call the cops and that person says they've been there 30 days, you're screwed. You'll be standing there with groceries and no way to get the squatter out.

What I don't understand is why the squatters can stay there without showing a legal lease or tenant agreement. I mean, if I have the papers showing I own the house, that should be it in a nutshell. But in this case the squatter wasn't even asked to show anything by the cops and couldn't produce a lease on paper when the reporter asked him.

And since the squatter obviously broke in, I don't understand why the owner can't break the door down as well. Then when the police show up, the owner says she's been living there and produces her paperwork to show she owns the house and tells the cops the guy pushed into her house, which he did when he came back with his friend.

I still wish I had my Doberman. I'd rent him out. You know, stand outside the house and tell the squatters they have 10 minutes to gather their stuff and get out, or the dog is going in.

If I come home to someone squatting in my house, to hell with the courts. I'm going to come back and break every window and take the doors off the hinges. Then I'm going to move in and threaten to set the place on fire. It would be cheaper by far than doing things the legal way. If the cops get called, hey, this is my house and I'm doing renovations. If the squatters can lie, so can I.

yes, I'd do exactly the same thing.
I'll be damned if a squatter would live in MY house, ain't happening this year or next.
Got a match?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 08:40 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

yes, I'd do exactly the same thing.
I'll be damned if a squatter would live in MY house, ain't happening this year or next.
Got a match?
I was tempted to move into my apartment on September 1, 1981 in Boston. The previous tenant was still in possession. Me, my roommate, and the landlord moved the previous tenants stuff out onto the sidewalk. That was it.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:37 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I was tempted to move into my apartment on September 1, 1981 in Boston. The previous tenant was still in possession. Me, my roommate, and the landlord moved the previous tenants stuff out onto the sidewalk. That was it.
But that was in 1981, before the libs took over, and squatters got "rights".....

Old 03-26-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Quote:
But that was in 1981, before the libs took over, and squatters got "rights".....
A lot that happens in the "real world" accords with practicality, even if not strictly legal. This probably happens often. I got the impression that it wasn't the landlord's first rodeo, and 52 Glenville Avenue, Boston wasn't the first place it happened. Or the last.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

and how did that happen that squatters got rights?

I know I didn't vote for that.

wonder who the brain child is that came up with that one.

Old 03-27-2024, 04:12 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
and how did that happen that squatters got rights?

I know I didn't vote for that.

wonder who the brain child is that came up with that one.
I agree. But realistically, I think we can put the blame on the power hungry, liberal politicians, who will do pretty much anything, in order to garner votes.....

Old 03-27-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who goes around trying to open doors in an apartment building? That means that the perp thinks there's a chance that somebody left their door unlocked. Why would they think people leave their doors unlocked?

You would be surprised and what people do, are you kidding me? really??

There are many vagrants that roam the streets get into buildings and do just that.
they try to open each door, it does happen, how would you not know that? seriously?

Old 03-27-2024, 07:22 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don’t believe she was lonely since she had family that looked out for her.
I think the door was left unlocked. She lived in a building where the elevator opens directly into the apartment. The hooligans must’ve gotten into the elevator and pressed every button to see what opens.
The answer is obvious and I am surprised that nobody mentioned it yet.

The SUPER of the building let the squatters in. Who else has full access to all the apartments? He should be brought in for police questioning.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The answer is obvious and I am surprised that nobody mentioned it yet.

The SUPER of the building let the squatters in. Who else has full access to all the apartments? He should be brought in for police questioning.
But the powers that be don't think that such a super, or the squatters, are doing anything wrong. This is the world turned upside down.

Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
But the powers that be don't think that such a super, or the squatters, are doing anything wrong. This is the world turned upside down.
My theory is the super let the squatters in because they were probably friends or relatives. Or maybe the super thought he could make a few extra bucks under an illegal airbnb. Who knows what the reasoning is? Let a police interrogation uncover the answers. But a secure doorman building will have a super or maybe even a full maintenance crew with all the necessary keys to get into each apartment.

It is extremely unlikely that these 2 teen perps wandered in off the street into a random apartment and just happened to find this one empty/unlocked. Somebody pointed them to the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City