Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:37 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Many people like to stay in their own neighborhoods and partake in what's around them vice take what could be a somewhat lengthy trip to meet friends several neighborhoods over. Hell, if I lived on the LES, I wouldn't want to travel to go grab a drink with friends in Harlem (or even the UES/UWS), and that's within the same borough. Similarly, growing up in Prospect Heights, I wouldn't want to meet friends in "far off" parts of Brooklyn for the same reasons.

Being from Brooklyn, we'd often meet in Times Square as a sort of middle ground (friends were coming from NJ, Brooklyn, Queens, etc.), but I'd wish we could meet somewhere closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 04:35 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
When I say let's go get a drink at this spot in LIC. People tell me, that's too far for me. People who live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and even Bronx think Queens is too far??
You can drive 7 miles to any destination out of the city in under 20 minutes
where traveling 7 miles from Queens to Manhattan takes a little over an hour.

Congestion, DOT restrictions, all add up to time consumption..............

Old 03-21-2024, 06:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
7 train is getting worse & worse. Its like a flea market as of late.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:41 AM

2,611 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
You can drive 7 miles to any destination out of the city in under 20 minutes
where traveling 7 miles from Queens to Manhattan takes a little over an hour.

Congestion, DOT restrictions, all add up to time consumption..............
Not even factoring in delays!

Old 03-21-2024, 07:42 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Many people like to stay in their own neighborhoods and partake in what's around them vice take what could be a somewhat lengthy trip to meet friends several neighborhoods over. Hell, if I lived on the LES, I wouldn't want to travel to go grab a drink with friends in Harlem (or even the UES/UWS), and that's within the same borough. Similarly, growing up in Prospect Heights, I wouldn't want to meet friends in "far off" parts of Brooklyn for the same reasons.

Being from Brooklyn, we'd often meet in Times Square as a sort of middle ground (friends were coming from NJ, Brooklyn, Queens, etc.), but I'd wish we could meet somewhere closed.
I never thought of this, but it could explain why in many areas of Manhattan you can cross a street or two and most of the people walking the sidewalk look different from one or two blocks before. Perhaps the high population density in Manhattan makes this possible. Heck, there are residential buildings in Manhattan that have populations in them that might be like a small town, especially if you include all residential buildings in one block.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:52 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Going from Manhattan especially uptown to midtown should only take 20-30mins from 90st above. Then from there, LIC is technically just 10mins from 42nd street. The 1st stop is Court Square, that's where people get the G train to Brooklyn. So realistically speaking going uptown to LIC is quicker than going to W4 or Soho. It seems to be slower going down to W4. What I don't understand is that Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx are all within one hour of each other tops in any direction via mass transit. That's pretty darn good compared to other cities and countries.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:48 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Going from Manhattan especially uptown to midtown should only take 20-30mins from 90st above. Then from there, LIC is technically just 10mins from 42nd street. The 1st stop is Court Square, that's where people get the G train to Brooklyn. So realistically speaking going uptown to LIC is quicker than going to W4 or Soho. It seems to be slower going down to W4. What I don't understand is that Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx are all within one hour of each other tops in any direction via mass transit. That's pretty darn good compared to other cities and countries.
Bruh, that is not true. Brooklyn to Queens via mass transit in one hour?

I live 4 miles from work. It takes me 15 -20 minutes to drive in. If I took mass transit it’d take me an 45 - 60 minutes and this is within the same borough. Four miles.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:59 AM

2,611 posts, read 1,208,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post

I live 4 miles from work. It takes me 15 -20 minutes to drive in. If I took mass transit it’d take me an 45 - 60 minutes and this is within the same borough. Four miles.
It really depends on which lines are by your starting point and destination when traveling between boros.

That can make the difference between 25-45 min or 60-90.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:03 AM

137 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:

Four miles... From where to where? Just curious.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:06 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,657,476 times
Quote:

I took a bus from Brooklyn to Queens it was about 35mins during the day. Now taking a bus from brooklyn to other parts of brooklyn was just as long. The JFK bus from A/C train to JFK was about 25mins and it was just 5 miles.

I think distance wise the area is not far away but the traffic is a different problem. For subways, it shouldn't be that bad going from Brooklyn on the J/Z to Queens in 30mins then transfer to other lines is another 20-30mins to other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City