Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 03:04 PM

106,768 posts, read 108,973,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
But...

Former SIL is in a rent stabilized apt on CPW. It overlooks the park. His mom is the lease holder. She is 98 and has had that apt since SIL was a child. He's retired and paying +/- 3500 a month. The lease stays she can sign it over to him. And he can sign it over to his son.

The owner keeps thinking the old lady will die. He needs to read the paperwork. They can pass it on like they own it.
as long as they are actually living there for two years then succession is possible. that is why you buy packages of apartments for cents on the dollar in these deals

investors never buy apartments with others who are already known to have succession rights.

we paid the super to watch things for us as far as who actually is in the apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2024, 04:05 PM

19 posts, read 1,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am in a Mitchell-Lama co-op in the finest part of Manhattan that again confronted the issue of going private. I was for privatization and some quick money but the majority of old-timers thought otherwise.
In an elevator conversation, where most talk is conducted, natch, a woman spouting off for keeping things as they were said she couldn't afford to go private. I said it's a win-win for us: stay and maintenance will likely stay the same because of the rather high flip tax, leave and take a bundle of cash with you.

She said "But I can't AFFORD to buy my apartment and seemed dumfounded when I said 'You already OWN it, you can sell it for at least a half million dollars.'" She kept saying "I can't AFFORD a half million dollars." I finally realized I was talking to a fool or a cinderblock wall. Her ilk carried the NO vote.
That conversation gave me insight into what little common sense to expect of my fellow earthlings.
Actually, I would say she intuitively understands what’s good for her. Why would she want to change the status quo even for $500K if she’s 60+?

Old 04-28-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJewNYC View Post
Actually, I would say she intuitively understands what’s good for her. Why would she want to change the status quo even for $500K if she’s 60+?
why ? because renters are usually renters because they are not financially sound .

it sounds like the woman was completely confused and was likely in a position of needing that money

Old Today, 01:07 PM

19 posts, read 1,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why ? because renters are usually renters because they are not financially sound .

it sounds like the woman was completely confused and was likely in a position of needing that money
If she needed that money, I think she’d take it. I think you’re underestimating how importantmaintaining the status quo is for many people. Why would this lady give up comfort and stability in her twilight years for $500K and the unknown? Maybe she wants to only live in Manhattan.

Old Today, 01:18 PM

don’t know

all i can say is i read my own tenants correctly…

i knew that most would not live on central park south once they retired with no pay checks .

7 out of 9 took the 100k offer eventually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City